• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 DGPT Tour Championship

I know of one egregious time when Paul got really annoyed. He seemed to have a point. Every time he'd line up some guy behind the basket moved. Curious to know what others have seen.

IIRC, Paul was at the Pennsylvania Worlds and a photographer kept moving around in his field of vision. Paul was patient and good-natured, and waited until he was satisfied before he putted.
However, at our local B-tier tourney, a nationally-known Pro openly berated and castigated a fan for moving during a putt. Funny thing is, the guy doesn't remember moving.
Anyways, it happens...

IIRC, Paul was at the Pennsylvania Worlds and a photographer kept moving around in his field of vision. Paul was patient and good-natured, and waited until he was satisfied before he putted.
However, at our local B-tier tourney, a nationally-known Pro openly berated and castigated a fan for moving during a putt. Funny thing is, the guy doesn't remember moving.
Anyways, it happens...

Maybe he had gas? :D

I followed up with Steve, and this is exactly what he said he intended to do but did not end up doing. In that case, then, I still think he should have just let things play out without trying to know what was going on.

Looks like the next episode of "Coulda Woulda Shoulda" is all set then. ;)

Well, here is one instance. It was not a TD, but the play was nullified due to TV timeout and the Chargers were involved:

NY Times 9.05.83

Kind of the anti-Heidi game...

That's wild. 1983 Jets vs Chargers game. So "when a kickoff was nullified in mid-play because the television official had not notified the football officials on the field that the network was finished with its commercial." So not a touchdown taken off the board, but a play blown dead as it was in progress. No mention in the article of whether the returner had the ball yet when the whistles blew. Less crazy if the refs blew the play dead while the kickoff was still in the air, but still crazy.

No surprise I didn't remember it as I was 4 at the time. I would think this would have led to a procedural change so it wouldn't happen again (ref doesn't allow kickoff until signaled that TV is back from commercial). Half-hearted apologies to SD86 since he was half right.

That's wild. 1983 Jets vs Chargers game. So "when a kickoff was nullified in mid-play because the television official had not notified the football officials on the field that the network was finished with its commercial." So not a touchdown taken off the board, but a play blown dead as it was in progress. No mention in the article of whether the returner had the ball yet when the whistles blew. Less crazy if the refs blew the play dead while the kickoff was still in the air, but still crazy.

No surprise I didn't remember it as I was 4 at the time. I would think this would have led to a procedural change so it wouldn't happen again (ref doesn't allow kickoff until signaled that TV is back from commercial). Half-hearted apologies to SD86 since he was half right.

FYI, I have officiated big time football at the college level, and my experience is that I asssume they did make a change. The "red-hat" official (so-named for obvious reasons) is the one who signals the network is back from commercial. He now waits ON THE FIELD during commercial breaks, and does not OK to play until he gets off the field. This makes it very hard for the game officials to miss the OK-to-play signal.

You don't have to putt if there is a distraction. You can wait or politely ask for folks to stop.

I watched as Barry Shultz stormed off mad on hole #13 at USDC this year because "nobody stopped that car from driving towards him"... and I thought, maybe you should've just waited. I just hate it when folks blame something they have complete control over for their bad putt.

Hmmm. Well, maybe I thought it was a TD if the runner ran into the end zone even as whistles were blowing. Still a bad situation.

Yes, college football has the guy on the field during the ubiquitous "timeout for television" that seems to last forever to those of us in the stands. NFL games move along much faster than college games, and one can see this if one goes to the game and sits in the stands... can't see it so easily on TV.

As to distractions: I once was a volunteer at the local LPGA tournament and was a marshal on one of the long Par 5 holes (no Par 2 holes on this course ;)). Me and the other marshals on the teebox were watching a young lady addressing the ball to tee off when she turned around, looked at one of the other marshals, and asked him to stop jingling the change in his pocket. He backed off further away, and she teed off (and not all that well).

After the players went on down the course, the guy came up to me and pulled the pockets of his pants inside out... he had no change nor anything else in his pockets! So we figured that lady was either using that as an excuse to re-address the ball, or she was hearing things, go figure...

So who knows? when someone says they're distracted....

"Note that professional minigolf is organized at the worldwide level with inroads to being included in future World Games with anti-doping already incorporated in their rules"

Wait...what? Sorry Chuck, this made me laugh, I was trying to picture the advantage someone would get by doping in minigolf. Would it be for the stamina required? :D

Sorry, I just saw this. Doping in sports that require fine motor control doesn't occur the same way as in most sports. For example, shooting sports (archery and skeet shooting in particular come to mind) the biggest problem isn't steroids or amphetamines, it's the competitors taking depressants. They gain an advantage because they limit tremor and shaking, which helps aim. I'm assuming minigolf would have to deal with the same issues.

Sorry, I just saw this. Doping in sports that require fine motor control doesn't occur the same way as in most sports. For example, shooting sports (archery and skeet shooting in particular come to mind) the biggest problem isn't steroids or amphetamines, it's the competitors taking depressants. They gain an advantage because they limit tremor and shaking, which helps aim. I'm assuming minigolf would have to deal with the same issues.
Yes, I'm assuming the beta blockers those with heart issues (like me) take might be banned in minigolf like they are for biathletes who would benefit from the heart rate slowing effects of these drugs. There goes my chance to switch to minigolf for the big money. ;)

Yes, I'm assuming the beta blockers those with heart issues (like me) take might be banned in minigolf like they are for biathletes who would benefit from the heart rate slowing effects of these drugs. There goes my chance to switch to minigolf for the big money. ;)

C'mon Chuck! I'll play you for 100 dollars a hole skins carry-over. Bust out that Ping putter.

Played darts for years. There's before the first beer, and after the first beer. No comparison in terms of scores.

Latest posts