• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 DGPT Tour Championship

There is NEVER a "good" Par 2, and no tournament hole should EVER be Par 2, unless your intent is to destroy professional disc golf as a serious professional sport. :mad:

I think it's a worse look to have someone go -80 during a tournament than to have a par 2. Just my 2 cents though. It's irrelevant if the courses are designed to not have super easy "par 3" holes.

I think it's a worse look to have someone go -80 during a tournament than to have a par 2. Just my 2 cents though. It's irrelevant if the courses are designed to not have super easy "par 3" holes.

While I strongly agree with Nega, my feeling is still that the best solution is to make par 2 untenable. Whether you use the threat of making holes that play par 2, par 2 or use some other means doesn't matter. The caveat being that there are some iconic par 2 holes that should be there because of their history, and I don't care what you call them.

**Puts pitchfork down** Thanks for all the great info as always Steve. I think given the format of this event, it's hard to draw conclusions on how well a hole plays. The discrimination factor on how a hole plays is greatly varied by the scenario each player was facing at the time. As it became clear to a player that they had no chance of making the cut, they inevitably took scores they normally would not have if purely playing for their best round.

**Picks pitchfork back up** Hole 3 is NOT an "example of a good par 2" because I refuse to accept that any hole should be a par 2, much less a hole on a championship style course.

Your first paragraph makes a good point. Also, we aren't yet at the point where we can compare course performances to each other - unless they have the same set of players. Just take this graph as an indicator of which holes it would be safest to tinker with. Keep tinkering with the holes that performed worst in any competition and the course will getting incrementally better.

As for the second paragraph, you would be justified in picking a burning torch with your other hand. I apologize for uttering the phrase that will single-handedly eradicate all disc golf as we know it from the face of the Earth. I try to refrain from such inflammatory speech outside of the Par Talk thread. I should have said good must-get hole, or good hole you don't really feel good about getting your par on, or good deuce or die , or good hole where a par feels like a bogey, or good hole where you need to realize your birdie doesn't gain you a throw on the field, or some other euphemism which we all know means [expletive deleted]. Because it's not the existence of holes where the players expect to get a two that is the problem; it's what par we assign to it. There are millions of spectators and billions of dollars of sponsor money out there just waiting for something - anything - that will make disc golf look silly enough to give them an excuse to finally avoid it. Only the par-that-must-not-be-named is powerful enough to drive them away.

If a hole in a related professional sport had scoring stats like the "par 2" hole Steve has indicated and they call it a par 2, why is it such a problem for DG to label it a par 2? http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/prize-winning-miniature-golf-tournament-5000
Note that professional minigolf is organized at the worldwide level with inroads to being included in future World Games with anti-doping already incorporated in their rules. There are two professional minigolf orgs in the U.S. with goals for $100K purse in their Masters event next year following on their $20K purse this year.

Not being clear with our stats is no way to gain respect as it becomes known that our organizers "inflate" par to make courses initially appear tougher then fail as the scoring data shows the underlying true challenges presented.

"Note that professional minigolf is organized at the worldwide level with inroads to being included in future World Games with anti-doping already incorporated in their rules"

Wait...what? Sorry Chuck, this made me laugh, I was trying to picture the advantage someone would get by doping in minigolf. Would it be for the stamina required? :D

I should have said...

HOFC Round 1 - BigSexy commentary, talking about what to call the 200'-ish par 3 that was obviously a Par 2. The feature card goes 4/4 deuces. They can't bring themselves to say "Nice birdie". Their choice? "Good 2 buddy". "Hey Greg? Nice 2 my man".

HOFC Round 1 - BigSexy commentary, talking about what to call the 200'-ish par 3 that was obviously a Par 2. The feature card goes 4/4 deuces. They can't bring themselves to say "Nice birdie". Their choice? "Good 2 buddy". "Hey Greg? Nice 2 my man".
I "birdied" it from the short tee in R2 for the only ace on the A-tier side - worth $505!

As for the second paragraph, you would be justified in picking a burning torch with your other hand. I apologize for uttering the phrase that will single-handedly eradicate all disc golf as we know it from the face of the Earth. I try to refrain from such inflammatory speech outside of the Par Talk thread. I should have said good must-get hole, or good hole you don't really feel good about getting your par on, or good deuce or die , or good hole where a par feels like a bogey, or good hole where you need to realize your birdie doesn't gain you a throw on the field, or some other euphemism which we all know means [expletive deleted]. Because it's not the existence of holes where the players expect to get a two that is the problem; it's what par we assign to it. There are millions of spectators and billions of dollars of sponsor money out there just waiting for something - anything - that will make disc golf look silly enough to give them an excuse to finally avoid it. Only the par-that-must-not-be-named is powerful enough to drive them away.

With 2 months remaining, this holds a solid lead in the battle for Post-of-the-Year.

Terrible timing on Steve's part. Should of known better.

More generally though, pro disc golfers are some of the most sensitive athletes you will see when it comes to distractions. I'm on Paige's side with the interruption happening in her routine, that's ridiculous, but the way John E and some of these other guys lose focus at the slightest movement in the distance is laughable. Spectators should be respectful and stay quiet/still, but if they want this sport to grow to a level where people come pay to watch them they need to get acclimated to large crowds and distractions. Ball golfers have to make putts for millions surrounded by fans just feet away, camera crews, grand stands, etc. There is almost certainly some level of movement and noise happening during every shot they take. With the putting, they are looking down, but the point is they have to focus on the shot with 10X the distractions any disc golfer has.

I compared to golf since that is the most appropriate comparison, but don't get me started on the other sports. "Please stop waiving that thing around and screaming while I'm trying to make this free throw..."

I'm not defending golf carts driving around, but generally speaking I actually feel bad for the spectators over the player when I see these Pros start crying after they miss a putt and point off to he crowd somewhere. As long as someone is not screaming mid stroke or doing jumping jacks, it's on you to stay focused. Growing pains I guess.

I'm curious, what is the frequency that pros blame someone in the crowd for a missed putt? I've seen a couple but not that many.

I'm curious, what is the frequency that pros blame someone in the crowd for a missed putt? I've seen a couple but not that many.

I'm just expressing my general impression over my 10 years of playing and watching the Youtube. The blaming the crowd was just an example. My point is that disc golfers seem to be more sensitive to distractions than all other pro athletes I've seen.

"frequency" You are such a data nerd Lyle. ;)

I'm just expressing my general impression over my 10 years of playing and watching the Youtube. The blaming the crowd was just an example. My point is that disc golfers seem to be more sensitive to distractions than all other pro athletes I've seen.

"frequency" You are such a data nerd Lyle. ;)

I should have been more careful. I was serious. I think it's a legit point. I know of one egregious time when Paul got really annoyed. He seemed to have a point. Every time he'd line up some guy behind the basket moved. Curious to know what others have seen.

Btw, thanks for the polite reply, given that it seemed I was jerking your chain.