• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 DGPT Tour Championship

Is it just me, or does the buzz not seem like it's there for this event? This thread just got started today, haven't seen a ton of other steam on social media. Late season burnout?

I assume that most people, like me, are upset about the fact that "DGPT Tour Championship" is internally redundant. DGPT stands for Disc Golf Pro Tour, so adding another "Tour" after DGPT is a bad idea.

I assume that most people, like me, are upset about the fact that "DGPT Tour Championship" is internally redundant. DGPT stands for Disc Golf Pro Tour, so adding another "Tour" after DGPT is a bad idea.

I assume you are wrong. You must be quite a sensitive soul to be "upset" about it.

**Sorry in advance for thread drift***

I was browsing the DGPT website looking at the 2017 standings, and noticed a name I am unfamiliar with. Melody Waibel, she's in 5th place for the female standings.

Inevitably I ended up on her twitter, and I noticed her bad mouthing Matt Dollar (see image attached). Now, this was over a year ago so by now it's most likely water under the bridge. Was curious if anyone knows what this is about?

I'm a local Atlanta player, and have played with Matt Dollar on a few occasions. He seems very nice and easily approachable. He offered me tips while we were playing, which I greatly appreciated. He seems to be in a good mood all the time. Pretty much the opposite of what Melody is saying. (Dollar is one of the best players in Georgia for those that do not know him. Solid pro, but not elite.)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 119
Is this the same tournament where Drew Gibson tanked a match last year?

What is this, fair and balanced disc golf?

Nope it's the one where he managed his game within the rules to gain a self perceived advantage, although its a different venue. Smart play IMO, even if it didn't pay off. Now, Paul pulling out of the last event because of a bad back, that was clearly taking advantage. Who else can we have a go at while we're here? Ah yes, Nate perhaps?

I was browsing the DGPT website looking at the 2017 standings, and noticed a name I am unfamiliar with. Melody Waibel, she's in 5th place for the female standings.

Inevitably I ended up on her twitter, and I noticed her bad mouthing Matt Dollar (see image attached). Now, this was over a year ago so by now it's most likely water under the bridge. Was curious if anyone knows what this is about?

I'm a local Atlanta player, and have played with Matt Dollar on a few occasions. He seems very nice and easily approachable. He offered me tips while we were playing, which I greatly appreciated. He seems to be in a good mood all the time. Pretty much the opposite of what Melody is saying. (Dollar is one of the best players in Georgia for those that do not know him. Solid pro, but not elite.)

Sorry......I don't get caught up in this kind of social media nonsense. :|

Back to our regularly scheduled tournament discussion. Awesome ace!! Great to see local Tim Barham tearing it up and moving on to the next round.

It's like saying TCBY yogurt.

The Country's Best Yogurt yogurt.

13 playing today and 12 make it to next round......wow.

Judging by the time stamp on that one, looks to be in reference to the Bradley Williams/Dollar altercation last year, in which Dollar reporting Williams to the PDGA resulted in an 18-month (shortened to one year) suspension for Williams.

Back to the Pro Tour Championship: I 100% understand the need for advertising to keep things afloat, but those banners surrounding the island come off as an eyesore to me, especially when combined with the elevated basket ad. The natural wood look of the barrier would be more appealing imo and I'm betting there's plenty of other real estate for those ads.

Dustin Keegan needs one more birdie to force a playoff for last place. This is getting exciting!

They said on the broadcast it's not a playoff, rather tour points, which he would win the tiebreaker for.

They should have just drawn straws and called it a day....

....it's like the opposite of highlander...."there can only be one.....loser"

Last edited:
What is this, fair and balanced disc golf?

Nope it's the one where he managed his game within the rules to gain a self perceived advantage, although its a different venue. Smart play IMO, even if it didn't pay off. Now, Paul pulling out of the last event because of a bad back, that was clearly taking advantage. Who else can we have a go at while we're here? Ah yes, Nate perhaps?

I'd hit the 'yawn' button if I could find one.

13 played, but how many were invited to do so? (25, btw) That's one of the drawbacks to the format...the solution is simply to find a way to get more of those players to attend. Apparently free entry and a guarantee of $400 minimum payout just for showing up wasn't enough.

My observations:

- I think the lack of attention/interest (only ~150 watching the Smashboxxtv feed) is, as others have said, a combination of a relatively new event, unknown course, USDGC/HoF hangover, lack of tie-in to PDGA webpage.

- I really would have liked to see hole maps or drone previews of the holes (yes, I'm spoiled). While watching I often had little idea where the players were throwing. Part of that, of course, is my lack of knowledge of this course.

- While I appreciate Will's insights as an elite player and a co-course designer, his "uptalking" drives me nuts (Google it). That may be a generational thing.

- Camera work on JohnE's ace was top-notch. They definitely picked the right group to cover! And notice that the throw clipped a branch early in it's flight.

- Thanks to Smashboxxtv for going back to pick up the Dustin Keegan group. Will did a great job of getting inside Dustin's head, strategy-wise. And hearing that Dustin is nursing an injured shoulder made it that much more compelling. And what a clutch approach spot to 18's basket!

Looking forward to the next few days of the event.

Is it just me, or does the buzz not seem like it's there for this event? This thread just got started today, haven't seen a ton of other steam on social media. Late season burnout?

Call me biased, but USDGC should be the final event of the touring season. I think as fans we're used to that. We crown the US Champion at the most prestigious event, go out on a high note, and prepare for February.

I mean...look at the last 5 winners - Brinster, Schusterick getting his 3rd, McBeth, Koling, and Sexton. Those stories can't be topped by NT or A-Tier victories. Not saying we shouldn't have those events, but the final PDGA Major should be the final stop of the touring season. I think it's reflected in the (relative) lack of hype for the last couple of events.

We can't become like the NBA and keep stretching the season so much. We have to buckle down and work on quality of top level events over quantity.

Latest posts