• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 DGPT Tour Championship

Well, the USDGC could back up a couple weeks and allow for the HOFC and DGPT Finale to jump in front of them. That would put them back in the final event spot. And it wouldn't be unprecedented for the USDGC to be later in October. Without even looking it up, I recall the first one I played in 2003 ran October 16-19. And I believe the field was 160-something players as opposed to the 99 this year, so daylight shouldn't be a concern.

Call me biased, but USDGC should be the final event of the touring season. I think as fans we're used to that. We crown the US Champion at the most prestigious event, go out on a high note, and prepare for February.

I mean...look at the last 5 winners - Brinster, Schusterick getting his 3rd, McBeth, Koling, and Sexton. Those stories can't be topped by NT or A-Tier victories. Not saying we shouldn't have those events, but the final PDGA Major should be the final stop of the touring season. I think it's reflected in the (relative) lack of hype for the last couple of events.

We can't become like the NBA and keep stretching the season so much. We have to buckle down and work on quality of top level events over quantity.

You're totally biased, Jamie. I'm sure Innova and the PDGA would love to see the DGPT just go away, but, as a fan of disc golf, I don't. I really don't see why disc golf even needs to have an off season-just keep holding tournaments in warm weather locations. And the last time I checked, the NBA was doing pretty darn well-a league with a strong world-wide following.

Call me biased, but USDGC should be the final event of the touring season. I think as fans we're used to that. We crown the US Champion at the most prestigious event, go out on a high note, and prepare for February.

I mean...look at the last 5 winners - Brinster, Schusterick getting his 3rd, McBeth, Koling, and Sexton. Those stories can't be topped by NT or A-Tier victories. Not saying we shouldn't have those events, but the final PDGA Major should be the final stop of the touring season. I think it's reflected in the (relative) lack of hype for the last couple of events.

We can't become like the NBA and keep stretching the season so much. We have to buckle down and work on quality of top level events over quantity.

You are not alone, I advocated for this on last week's podcast. My ideal schedule:

DGPT Championship
Hall of Fame
U.S. Women's
USDGC

Well, the USDGC could back up a couple weeks and allow for the HOFC and DGPT Finale to jump in front of them. That would put them back in the final event spot. And it wouldn't be unprecedented for the USDGC to be later in October. Without even looking it up, I recall the first one I played in 2003 ran October 16-19. And I believe the field was 160-something players as opposed to the 99 this year, so daylight shouldn't be a concern.

This is a fantastic idea. It could even still work in its normal spot, though. Next year, Worlds replaces Green Mountain, so you don't have that in the middle of Sept. You can bump everything else up a couple weeks and make it happen. I know that won't be a reality, as the 2017 schedule is already firm, but I think it could be a model for 2019.

pretty certain winthrop u. sets the date for usdgc based on their schedule.

Perhaps, and it wouldn't be just them. It's always been an issue with scheduling tours that we don't have the resources to simply place events on the calendar where we want them; we're beholden to the locals and localities to work with their schedules, too.

Which makes me really impressed with the work the PDGA and other tours have done, this year and next, in making a tour that actually.....tours, more or less.

I join the preferences for the USDGC to be the finale, but there are a lot of puzzle pieces to fit together.

As for the DGPT, I applaud their putting their sweat and money into creating a more spectator-friendly event. I wonder if it would help if the finals, whenever scheduled, were held on a more famous course?

Interesting, my first one was 10 years later, and it's been the first week in Oct. since I've been there...but if that were to be the compromise I think it'd be great.

That said - Majors/NT's are decided before A-tiers so that should be put on record as well.

You're totally biased, Jamie. I'm sure Innova and the PDGA would love to see the DGPT just go away, but, as a fan of disc golf, I don't. I really don't see why disc golf even needs to have an off season-just keep holding tournaments in warm weather locations. And the last time I checked, the NBA was doing pretty darn well-a league with a strong world-wide following.

I figured someone would post this illogical silliness. Stop drinking the Innova/big brother kool-aid. I want it to be the last event because it's the best event in the US.

Once again, I don't work for Innova. But while we're on that note... it's common and public knowledge that Innova supports all of the tours (DGPT, DGWT, and PDGA).

Judging by the time stamp on that one, looks to be in reference to the Bradley Williams/Dollar altercation last year, in which Dollar reporting Williams to the PDGA resulted in an 18-month (shortened to one year) suspension for Williams..

^^ This was my first thought, also.

Pretty bitter about the DGPT bracket contest. Waited until late Wednesday night to finalize my bracket(I had to work in the morning and don't have access to my email until after). Only to find out Thursday afternoon that certain players where not attending. You can't tell me they didn't know players like Cale and Cam where not attending the night before the event. Plus they had them down as attending. Even emailed DGPT to ask if it was final with no response. Final confirmation of players should have been established by Sunday or Monday. Great idea with poor execution.
Pretty disappointed.
Also, I don't think T Miller should be allowed to play. He's hired by DGPT so he's essentially employed by them for the event. Furthermore, it's for the fans to partake in(I know, he's one too). I'm sure we'll hear him gloat.

Okay, enough bickering. Proceed with telling me I'm wrong.

Technically, the shared golf/disc golf style course you see in the video has yet to be officially listed here on DGCR. You can't get any less prestigious than that. Having already played the course last summer, I wouldn't necessarily call it an exciting experience either. There's something about long, open, and flat fairways that just doesn't work for me as a player or an Internet viewer. Another swing and a miss for converted golf courses

Technically, the shared golf/disc golf style course you see in the video has yet to be officially listed here on DGCR. You can't get any less prestigious than that. Having already played the course last summer, I wouldn't necessarily call it an exciting experience either. There's something about long, open, and flat fairways that just doesn't work for me as a player or an Internet viewer. Another swing and a miss for converted golf courses

Agreed. Have played "real" golf for over 40 years, and as much as I like a lot of golf courses for golf, I think they are bad and boring for disc golf. They keep doing it, but it's not getting any better.

It depends on the golf course. I used to work at a golf course(The Vineyard Cincy, Ohio) that could be a great DG course. Lots of elevation change, ponds, trees. Some of the holes you could play straight up on the course and they would be really good DG holes. In other places, using the off fairway areas could make great holes...

...Imagine the course you could design at Augusta National
sabbern.gif

I think this course looks pretty sweet and enjoy watching it. Wind plays a huge role.

I enjoy both types of golf, woods and open/OB. It seems I'm a minority on that front on DGCR, or maybe the haters just love to post how much they hate it.

I think where this falls on the schedule is a HUGE part of why it lacking in hype. I agree that the season should end at USDGC. Call me nostalgic, but that's what I'm used to and it just seems fitting as it is IMO far and away the biggest event of the year. It felt weird to me that the HOFC and this event were after USDGC.

If it was just plain impossible to get the venue in later OCT, then there is nothing the PDGA or organizers can do I guess.

I for one love this format. Day 1 was silly with the 1 guy being dropped, but I'm super pumped about the rest of it. It was super fun to watch live last year. The mix of match play and "win your card" is cool.

I like that just like yesterday, they've taken the cameras off a group that was nearly done their round and had their fates more or less sealed in terms of advancing, and gone back to find another group featuring some players who are on the bubble. More drama = more interesting viewing.

If they aren't going to have multiple card live coverage like last year, this is the next best thing.

Based on the bubble right now at -4, Feldberg and Oman really need Philo, Peter and Turner to lose some strokes because it looks like they are the leaders in tour points (UDisc should add points standings as a graphic). If they can finish at -4 that may round out the top 8.

Perkins needs to finish with some birdies and Sexton has to birdie out to have any chance it seems. Or just have the 3 mentioned above blow up.

EXCITING

Latest posts