• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Memorial Championship in Arizona

I think Kristin has a very solid putt. . Henna has always had putting as her week point. .

But Eveliina and Cat is strange. . . Eveliina has been a good putter, now she terrible, i think it started in European open last year..she had a big lead and then her putt was gone. .. now she somtimes misses by a meter...just a meter from the basket.

Cat is similar. . she has great years in putting...a totaly terrible ones.

What's the conventional argument for why Female players struggle with putting? One would think that the real sexed differences would manifest themselves in distance, but in fact the opposite is true. From my limited experience a good MA2 player typically can't drive as far or as accurately as the best FPO players but for the most part seems to be a superior putter.

Is it that the big distance of a select few FPO players is the real score separator in that division so it doesn't matter whether you're good at putting or not or is it something deeper?

What's the conventional argument for why Female players struggle with putting? One would think that the real sexed differences would manifest themselves in distance, but in fact the opposite is true. From my limited experience a good MA2 player typically can't drive as far or as accurately as the best FPO players but for the most part seems to be a superior putter.

Is it that the big distance of a select few FPO players is the real score separator in that division so it doesn't matter whether you're good at putting or not or is it something deeper?

Putting is confidence, confidence is practice. Their problems are neither, it is concentration.

I stated weeks ago, that the grind of a season long tour, is a mindset. If the Finnish duo is to compete, they need to have the concentration and temperament to do so....currently they are demonstrating that they do not.

There are many on MPO tour with a skill set equal to McBeth, yet few win as often. It takes more than skill, to be in the mix every week.

I'm watching FPO RD3 B9 right now. Hole 11, it is interesting that Henna and Jen go OB at nearly the exact same spot. Both have a tough look at a mando, nearly 90 degrees from them and the OB. Henna goes first and forehand flicks a shot around the mando and well short of the pin, to miss the par putt. Jen takes her OB mark 50-75 feet back down the OB toward the tee. Giving her a longer shot, but a much better look at the mando. Puts herself inside the circle to make her par.

Further demonstration of my point below. Smart play by the vet Jen Allen. Sadly, neither Terry Miller nor Hannah McBeth, make mention of the play.

Last edited:
I don´t like to be hard to the FPO field. . .but if your job is to play discgolf and if you get paid +$100.000 a year to play. . . then putting IS something you should be good at.

To miss a 10ft putt is not something that should happen at that level. ..

I wonder what score Eveliina would have if Paul did the C1 putts for her?

Looks like Henna found her game today. . so far in the final round she is 14! throws better than her R3

I'm watching FPO RD3 B9 right now. Hole 11, it is interesting that Henna and Jen go OB at nearly the exact same spot. Both have a tough look at a mando, nearly 90 degrees from them and the OB. Henna goes first and forehand flicks a shot around the mando and well short of the pin, to miss the par putt. Jen takes her OB mark 50-75 feet back down the OB toward the tee. Giving her a longer shot, but a much better look at the mando. Puts herself inside the circle to make her par.

Further demonstration of my point below. Smart play by the vet Jen Allen. Sadly, neither Terry Miller nor Hannah McBeth, make mention of the play.

Nice catch ru4por! Nice play by Jen Allen! It's too bad the commentators missed this.

I'm surprised this play is allowed. Doesn't she need to move her lie back to a spot that is on the line of play, per the "Relief from Obstacles" rule? It looks like she moved it back parallel to the OB but not on the line of play.

As well as Paul is playing, he is only 2 ahead of AB in second, and 4 ahead of Adam Hammes in third. It could be a close finish.

Am I the only one who is confused why Paige and Cat didn't play? Seems like a bad move from a marketing perspective to not have your top FPO at an event that you are the title sponsor of, or a secondary brand of.

Nice catch ru4por! Nice play by Jen Allen! It's too bad the commentators missed this.

I'm surprised this play is allowed. Doesn't she need to move her lie back to a spot that is on the line of play, per the "Relief from Obstacles" rule? It looks like she moved it back parallel to the OB but not on the line of play.

Actually, with the old mandatory rules she could have taken her meter in and then would have had to back in a straight line from the mandatory "target".

But with the changes to the mandatory rules this portion has been removed entirely
The nearest mandatory whose mandatory line is crossed by the line between the lie and the target is considered to be the target for all rules related to marking the lie, stance, obstacles, and relief

As such she can take her meter in and then take relief in a straight line back from the basket, which she appears to have done (hard to see from the exact angle in the coverage).

Actually, with the old mandatory rules she could have taken her meter in and then would have had to back in a straight line from the mandatory "target".

But with the changes to the mandatory rules this portion has been removed entirely

As such she can take her meter in and then take relief in a straight line back from the basket, which she appears to have done (hard to see from the exact angle in the coverage).

She did not miss the mando. She was simply OB. New rule allows you to take the disc IB further down the OB line. She definitely did NOT take here lie in a direct line from the basked, just further from the basket and then took her meter relief from the OB line.

Sharp play by Allen and unfortunate that Henna was likely not up on the new rule.

She did not miss the mando. She was simply OB. New rule allows you to take the disc IB further down the OB line. She definitely did NOT take here lie in a direct line from the basked, just further from the basket and then took her meter relief from the OB line.

Sharp play by Allen and unfortunate that Henna was likely not up on the new rule.

Hole #11 starts at 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrajgX93uM

Not sure why this won't imbed.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who is confused why Paige and Cat didn't play? Seems like a bad move from a marketing perspective to not have your top FPO at an event that you are the title sponsor of, or a secondary brand of.

DC has plenty of people on site to push plastic. My guess is that their sponsors expect PP & Cat to qualify for majors and to show up at those events ready to compete, with minimal other distractions. While we all would love to see the best out there every weekend, the point of large guaranteed contracts is to go big fish hunting, not to mine the shallows.

Putting is confidence, confidence is practice. Their problems are neither, it is concentration.

I stated weeks ago, that the grind of a season long tour, is a mindset. If the Finnish duo is to compete, they need to have the concentration and temperament to do so....currently they are demonstrating that they do not.

There are many on MPO tour with a skill set equal to McBeth, yet few win as often. It takes more than skill, to be in the mix every week.

I'd agree with this. Physical mistakes happen…less with practice obviously, and when they occur they're not too far off from a made putt at this level. Mental misses just look different. Anybody that's played any sport growing up can spot a physical vs mental mistake.

Evaliina's 45 degree missed putts were straight up shanks, no covering it up. As much as I love JK being back on tour full time she had an extremely high percentage of mental mistake putts on coverage. Everybody has mental mistake putts, being able to minimize them is a difference maker.

Ohn Scoggins, Lisa Fajkus, and Heather Young are all excellent putters. I just don't buy in the circle that lack of size is what's holding FPO back.

Whats interesting in FPO is that we have a number of very strong putters that dont really have a stong distance game. . .but they can still keep up, they make up so many strokes inside the circle.
Ohn does not have even close to Hennas distance. . but she still beat her. .. her putting made up for the lack of distance.

If you look at C1 putting at any tournament you can have FPO players from 30% to 100% C1x in the top 10 . . . that just dont happen i MPO

It's not a DGPT event or Major. You won't see most of the touring players at regular old A Tiers any more regardless of the sponsor.

I don't think Allen actually had that play available to her- the line of play looks to run straight back into the OB rather than in fair territory. Henna on the other hand did not even take her meter off the OB which would have been a help in negotiating the mando and making distance.

I don't think Allen actually had that play available to her- the line of play looks to run straight back into the OB rather than in fair territory. Henna on the other hand did not even take her meter off the OB which would have been a help in negotiating the mando and making distance.

I noticed that, too. She was kneeling on her right knee, with her left leg stretched all the way to the OB. Had she used her meter relief, she'd have had a better angle. Still might have been a tough shot, but most of us have been in situations where we thought every single inch seems to make a difference when you're pinched up near an obstacle trying to clear it to get down the fairway.

Henna and Evaliina are still quite young. I expect they'll lock stuff like that down and get their putting woes worked out before too long.

Last edited:
I'd agree with this. Physical mistakes happen…less with practice obviously, and when they occur they're not too far off from a made putt at this level. Mental misses just look different. Anybody that's played any sport growing up can spot a physical vs mental mistake.

Evaliina's 45 degree missed putts were straight up shanks, no covering it up. As much as I love JK being back on tour full time she had an extremely high percentage of mental mistake putts on coverage. Everybody has mental mistake putts, being able to minimize them is a difference maker.

Ohn Scoggins, Lisa Fajkus, and Heather Young are all excellent putters. I just don't buy in the circle that lack of size is what's holding FPO back.

That's interesting. So you think the sexed difference in putting percentages is an expression of a mental or cognitive sexed difference as opposed to a physical one? And of course speaking generally not exclusively as there are certainly plenty of individual outliers from either sex.

That's interesting. So you think the sexed difference in putting percentages is an expression of a mental or cognitive sexed difference as opposed to a physical one? And of course speaking generally not exclusively as there are certainly plenty of individual outliers from either sex.

I think circle one putting is close enough that size/strength differences are minimized. Move out to 50-60 feet and I think you start recruiting other muscle groups to help get the disc to the basket.

Think of it this way, if it were simply a matter of lack of strength you'd see a high percentage of made putts within 15-20 feet and drop off as you move back. I would expect when you see people commenting on how FPO putting is not good they're talking about the high frequency of missed 10-15 footers and not 25-30 footers.

Latest posts