• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Yeah, as I was typing out my response...I said to myself that this sounds like I'm coming a bit over the top. I've gone back and forth between jamming and going over the top, one of these days I'll dial it in.

I think slowing down a touch might also help; when swinging it feels like it takes forever for the disc to get to me, but watching my video my tempo still seems fast.
Yeah and instead of thinking about getting just the right amount of forward and back, pushing down through the ground will basically auto-correct this to an extent. You can't push down into the ground very well if things aren't stacked (at least dynamically). Try it out: hang out with hip at different positions forward and back. When everything is stacked that is when you can feel that you can push through the floor the best.

Pressure going toward my toes is not feedback I have received so far. But makes a lot of sense, especially when I see where my DG shoes are wearing at...outside of foot...base of my pinky toe. So to be clear...

Still land toe > heel, but need the pressure to go into/onto the ankle rather than side of foot.
I agree with UN, your front leg posture looks collapsed like a Z instead of a solid post like l or /, you need to stick your leg into the ground like a running back getting ready to shift/change direction. In your hammer swing setup your rear hip is pushed over top your front hip(which pushes front hip over front knee) instead of the rear hip/femur hanging from a posted front leg. Your front knee needs to brace your front hip.

In your hammer swing setup your rear hip is pushed over top your front hip(which pushes front hip over front knee) instead of the rear hip/femur hanging from a posted front leg.

Grrrr...I'm not getting/understanding this critique that I've received a few times now. Attaching a series of screengrabs from the forward pump through the backswing. When does the pushing of my rear hip occur in this series? Really feels like I am trying to use my feet to shift, and I've been focused on not having my rear heel spin out.

Ugh...think I've just confused myself...:confused:

Attachments

• Forward pump.jpg
    Forward pump.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Backswing.jpg
    Backswing.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 17
Not sure about that video, you look too far back if anything in those stills, but it's right here in the latest hammer video:

CVEz3Sw.png

elVrSCW.png

0iWnAtu.png

O2MUWbv.png

Your hips are still closed while SW22 has cleared his right hip back.

Last edited:
Yeah, your right hip is not cleared or braced from the right knee. Revisit post 501.

Finish position - stand upright on front leg with head stacked over shoulders over front hip over knee over ankle, and left shoulder over right instep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUoUEtX5wA#t=2m50s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.30.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.30.17 AM.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 141
When I try to get into your position I feel a ton of pressure on the hip flexor muscles on outside hip. In my position there is zero pressure on the outside hip muscles, everything swivels effortlessly on the front hip.

Still trying to get this. I hear and see what you're saying SW about my left hip, just having an awful time trying to fix it. Some days I just feel like I'm broken...

Better but let those hip continue rotating into the follow through, its still jammed up and you are stopping the motion short. You can let the heel rotate in place. I think mentally you are blocking yourself from fully following through. It probably will help a lot to do this outside where you aren't worried about getting a little wild and possibly letting the hammer go. See how SW22 ends up with both hips facing targetward in the follow through? He basically has to do that because the momentum of the hammer is pulling him forward. Otherwise it would be a ton of strain on the arm/chest. You are actually resisting the forward motion with your arm/chest so that your body doesn't have to follow through. It's something that will happen subconsciously when your body knows you aren't actually throwing the hammer.

The hips are actually facing or almost facing the target at release.

Let me see if I can make a short vid tonight because its hard to explain.

Last edited:
1-2. Note how I've already shifted my center/balance completely to the rear foot. Your center is still moving back with your backswing and stops short of shifting completely. You need to shift first, then you can turn with the backswing and mirrored forward.

3. Note how my left hip has already moved forward at the top of backswing and my butt is approaching the front foot, so the forward move of the hips happens in the backswing/from behind. Your left hip is still over your rear foot.

4. Note how my spine is still tilted back as the lower spine moved ahead and the spine will rotate forward. You are tipping your upper spine over the lower spine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.18.14 PM copy 2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.18.14 PM copy 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 117

This might help, maybe not. Maybe 10% of what I'm saying is relevant. I'm still learning myself.

Woke up today with a renewed sense of confidence. Sincerely appreciate the time/effort of UN and SW to help me out. UN your video does make a lot of sense to me, I think it has some similarities to a video SP made for me several months ago. I think a lot of my mistakes come from interpreting feedback incorrectly and/or taking it to an extreme. I THINK because I've been so focused on not letting my rear foot spin out, that is impacting the sequence of clearing my right hip.

So this leads me to SW's marked up images; yes don't let me rear foot spin out, but I am going about it the wrong way. I am being restrictive. Looking at those images, if I shifted my spine/balance correctly, I don't think my rear foot would have any choice but to do what it is suppose to do.

More to practice and work on. Thanks.

Also need to keep telling myself that if something is wrong or doesn't feel/look right, the cause is probably several parts of the sequence before it.

Probably a dumb question...

In my setup, what am I doing that is causing my left hip to be "pushing" up? I have dozens of feedback posts where I'm not even setup correctly because my rear hip is doing something funky. I understand that at times my rear foot is the culprit, pushing my hip up. Other times I don't appear to be pushing with my foot at all, but yet the hip still looks the same.

Is it how I am standing on my front leg? Feel like by now my balance should be decent enough to stand on one leg :/

Perhaps I need to shoot a quick clip of just me standing on leg, and swiveling my hips...

Probably a dumb question...

In my setup, what am I doing that is causing my left hip to be "pushing" up? I have dozens of feedback posts where I'm not even setup correctly because my rear hip is doing something funky. I understand that at times my rear foot is the culprit, pushing my hip up. Other times I don't appear to be pushing with my foot at all, but yet the hip still looks the same.

Is it how I am standing on my front leg? Feel like by now my balance should be decent enough to stand on one leg :/

Perhaps I need to shoot a quick clip of just me standing on leg, and swiveling my hips...
Great question!

Yes, I never you see standing balanced on the front leg in your setups and your front leg always looks like your knee is knocked in or some unnatural position. You appear more balanced on your rear leg when setting up or in between your feet rather than shifting fully on one or other.

The more inline or open your stance stagger is, the more the rear foot will evert to the right behind the front foot going forward to put you in balance. When setup in a closed/staggered stance the eversion is toward the left teepad side to move you upright balanced on the front leg, like walking. You are setting up in a stagger closed stance and trying to evert to the right when it should go to the left. Try setting up in a slightly open stagger stance and everting to the right, and then setting up closed and everting to the left.

I'd also like to see you in door frame drill and doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m

Great question!

Yes, I never you see standing balanced on the front leg in your setups and your front leg always looks like your knee is knocked in or some unnatural position.

This is really disconcerting to me; when I setup, it FEELS like I am in a position on one leg where I could still squat with a barbell/weights on my shoulders. But when I compare my video to yours, the front leg and rear hip still look different.

Standing in front of a mirror last night, I'm definitely more knee knocked than not. So if that is the case, do I need to do anything differently setup/finish because of how my knee's knock in? This is the first time the thought crossed my mind that I may not physically be able to do this...:confused:

The more inline or open your stance stagger is, the more the rear foot will evert to the right behind the front foot going forward to put you in balance. When setup in a closed/staggered stance the eversion is toward the left teepad side to move you upright balanced on the front leg, like walking.

Mannnnnn I apologize SW, but I'm just not following.

You're saying when setting up open (Rear heel inline with Front instep) that my rear foot will evert to the right side of the teepad, behind my front foot? Conversely setting up closed (Rear toes inline with Front instep) that my rear foot will evert to the left teepad side? BUT Still going behind my front foot???

Forgive this really dumb question/s...

When my foot is everting, how do I know if it's to the right or left? Is it where my heel is pointing or the path that the heel is moving in?

I'll get some doorframe video up soon, there wasn't a good place at the soccer complex, I almost pulled down a soccer box wall. Did swing drills, trying to match SW.

1. Your stance is setup too staggered, I'm staggered maybe 3-6", you are over a foot.

2. Note how your front heel has spun around closer to the target in the backswing. My heel basically just went up with the backswing.

3. Note how your front foot is turned back too far now so your front knee is knocked in and you jumped off the rear foot. Note how my front foot is landing about where it started from and slightly pointed targetward and my rear foot hasn't really moved, although the heel is airborne and my spine is tilted to the front leg.

4. Note how your whole torso is facing the target at 12 o'clock when your arm finally extends. Note how my arm released to target with torso at 10 o'clock.

5. Note how my arm then pulls my whole body around into the finish. Your body just stops.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.23.10 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.23.10 PM copy.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • jet me swing 5 copy.jpg
    jet me swing 5 copy.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 109
Mannnnnn I apologize SW, but I'm just not following.

You're saying when setting up open (Rear heel inline with Front instep) that my rear foot will evert to the right side of the teepad, behind my front foot? Conversely setting up closed (Rear toes inline with Front instep) that my rear foot will evert to the left teepad side? BUT Still going behind my front foot???

Forgive this really dumb question/s...

When my foot is everting, how do I know if it's to the right or left? Is it where my heel is pointing or the path that the heel is moving in?
It should be going in whatever direction to put you in balance on front leg.

You are doing a sequence of different moves. I can even pick them out, the swing needs to be dynamic. The swing will not work if you go 1+1+1+1. When SW is doing his slow motion drill he has a spesific task in mind thus he can make it look very fluid just by tracing the swing slowly but it is impossible to do by trying to copy body positions. If you copy positions you are doing exactly that and it´s missing that magic sauce which is the task. You can test this out by picking out a task where you are already good at, for example let´s say chopping wood. You should be able to trace the wood chopping motion in slow motion since you know what you are doing but if you try to do it by getting into right positions it just gets weird.

I challenge you to go outside and pick a target so close that you can toss the hammer there with ease and zero effort. Then pick two more targets each of them just a bit further away. Do it with your left hand and don´t try to get into positions. Let your brain figure it out, what is the best way to swing the hammer at the target. Your focus should primarly be at the target. Since you are doing it lefty there shouldnt (hopefully) be any drilled moves, all you have is the hammer and a target where you want the hammer to go.