• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

You mean pre-swing to the hit and work back?

Yeah, during the x-step, when you're still on your right foot, the right hand is fully outstretched targetward. Left foot comes behind, disc is back to center chest and then into the backswing.

attachment.php

When I do the pre-backswing forward "address" during my x-step, I feel more centered and explosive.

RandyC and I were talking about how people try to get or to maintain these imaginary positions and planes that don't exist and really sabotages progress. I always see people trying to start at the static right pec position and it doesn't exist in the dynamic swing. If you watch my "standstill" throws I'm shifting back and forth and swinging my arm disc constantly to settle everything dynamically to where I want to toss the weight of the swing.

That's the exact feeling I get with this, is that I'm rolling this momentum around and then funneling it. Developing good shapes of the structure should be something that is somewhat intuitive RIGHT handed, and then hopefully you can mirror it for your lefty swing (RHBH).

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 199
Yeah, during the x-step, when you're still on your right foot, the right hand is fully outstretched targetward. Left foot comes behind, disc is back to center chest and then into the backswing.

Yeah I had been doing the forward pump "because SW told me to" but I finally am "getting it" lately. When he said in some thread that the forward pump is basically the hit point balance-wise it clicked for me. I know that's obvious with other ways he's said it in the past but I finally got that relation, how I can let the disc release out and I can feel the hit point as I'm walking down the tee, then backswing, then get back through that hit point.

Yeah I had been doing the forward pump "because SW told me to" but I finally am "getting it" lately. When he said in some thread that the forward pump is basically the hit point balance-wise it clicked for me. I know that's obvious with other ways he's said it in the past but I finally got that relation, how I can let the disc release out and I can feel the hit point as I'm walking down the tee, then backswing, then get back through that hit point.

Woah I had never thought of it like that. I thought it was just a timing thing / getting your momentum forward.

Staying with this hammer until I get it right...

Feeling a bit better; shoulder plane is working itself out, not twisting the hammer, and overall just trying to stay square with the hammer. Still can't get my rear heel to go targetward/up consistently instead of spinning out.

Looks to me like your backswing is pulling your chest down and into your rear hip. Like you are collapsing down into the backswing rather than rising up. Then from this loaded down position you're rising up onto the plant.

The backswing should pull you up to the rear leg and as you turn back you can more fall onto the plant since your lower body will be pushed to the front leg's position.

Maybe try some slapshots again, so you can feel how to be down and through the puck on the swing, with your shoulders turning together. The swing itself and your hit point keep improving, but you need to feel how to get the shoulders turning around the spine together over the plant.

You look like you are trying to manipulate the hammer and scared to let your arm/hammer swing out wide away from your body. Your pre-swings are weak and your arm is not being pulled wide away from your body. Try some windmills and then pumping back and forth.

Still waiting to see you do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk&t=50s

Frame 1 - sideview you are tipping over and your elbow is extended before your front foot.
Frame 2 - sideview your pump is really weak and low and not balanced/braced inside your posture. Note how it looks like my arm wants to fly away from my body to target.
Frame 3 - sideview your head is pulled over well past your front leg.

Frame 1 - behind weak low pump.
Frame 2 - behind decent top of backswing but doesn't look like the hammer is pulling your front heel off the ground.
Frame 3 - behind your elbow is pulled in to the right of your knee. My elbow is pulled out wide to the left over the knee.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 6.31.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 6.31.26 PM.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I've been having breakthroughs and I know I've had many of the same issues you are having now. I know you have some hockey background.

So think about doing a right shoulder check through someone, like they are set up without looking and you'll put your shoulder through their chest without any worry you'll get impacted. Try without a disc, not thinking anything about throws. As you come forward off your left foot, you'll land on the right leg and be driving forward shoulder first. Just before you impact them, the back of your upper arm will come through and you'll contact them through the shoulder and arm simultaneously, and you'll explode upward off the right leg to really light them up.

Look at the position you're in, it's kind of the power pocket or almost the launch position.

So now with a disc do this same body check feeling, but instead of using the right leg to kind of jump up/through them, after the weight is caught and you're extending the leg use that for a little rotation so the disc will continue in front of you, like by your belly button or right hip. Essentially to me it feels like you catch your weight on the right leg, start that body check momentum, and then when the disc is forward from that momentum continuing you're in a good place to swing the disc away from you.

It's a way for me to feel how to keep the arm and disc coming forward WITH my momentum rather than bringing it forward with my arm, and after the momentum is caught on the right leg it can be used to swing the disc away from you.

SP this is a fantastic visualization for me! I have a free evening tonight, so I plan to really get some good work in.

Spun around with a hammer, still doesn't feel right, although I did drop the hammer to a more appropriate height. SW I believe you pause slightly in your Olympic hammer throw video after spinning. Should I be pausing as well, or just go right into as I am doing now?

So painfully obvious that I push myself into rotation right at the last moment. You can see pretty clearly the weight on the outside of my left foot push/extend, showing that I am still aligned to my rear femur. Would that be a correct assessment?

Yeah there's no shift as you are keeping weight on the back leg/extending your rear leg to keep weight on it. You can tell because both feet are weighted at the same time. If you "kick the can" your rear foot will be airborne/not weight bearing before your front foot plants.

You need to rotate centered and extend the swing wide out to the left in front of where the front foot points 90 degrees from target, so your foot can resist it that direction. Your rotation is moving around a lot and you are extending at the target past your front foot 90 degrees from where your foot is pointed which gives you little stability to leverage/throw the swing weight to the target.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132910

You need to rotate centered and extend the swing wide out to the left in front of where the front foot points 90 degrees from target, so your foot can resist it that direction. Your rotation is moving around a lot and you are extending at the target past your front foot 90 degrees from where your foot is pointed which gives you little stability to leverage/throw the swing weight to the target.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132910

You, HUB and SP are going to create an entire video series because of me...

I know what I will be doing this evening :thmbup:

Just trying to feel balanced and centered on my hip before swinging. How's it looking?

Balance on front leg. Note how my front hip and both shoulders are stacked right over front foot in first pic. Note how my feet are 90 degrees apart in second pic and still balanced on front leg.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 12.42.59 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 12.42.59 AM copy.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 219
Try the bodycheck feel like you're just going to blast through someone with the right shoulder/upper arm. That way you should get your head over the leg and the shoulder should be in front of the leg. I don't care about throw or rotation or anything, feel how to be forward and commit to going through, and see where your arm positions result from that when you tone it back a little.

Your feet look more sideways than turned closed, and not really turned back at the plant from hips/shoulders. Your rear foot spins out on the last step. Pause on the steps at the plant/top of backswing and swing back and forth before stepping again. Your rear heel shouldn't spin toward the back of the step, heel should move forward away from step when you push from the instep and rear knee moves diagonal to the left tee pad side.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.27.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.27.36 PM.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 141
Still swinging this hammer around. Feeling more and more connected to my arm/hammer/disc.

Thoughts?