• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

That swing looks much better. :thmbup:

Not sure if you are naturally knee knocked? When I'm setting up I want to stand right on the front leg completely relaxed and balanced, shin should be vertical or even slightly forward with front foot slightly open so the hip can flex and swivel, little one leg squat/pump and arm swing swivels the pelvis freely. I think your front foot is slightly open like mine there, so I like that.

Note how you are more upright between both feet and heels are wider apart, your hips are level because your rear foot is pushing into the ground pushing the rear hip up. Note how my heels are narrower together more staggered under my butt like walking and I'm posted upright on the front leg, the rear side is just hanging weightless and can freely swivel everything.

I think you are missing the rolling of the feet. You are pushing more up off the rear ball of the foot instead of more forward rolling to the inside edge of the instep. Vid below should help with the footwork and shifting balance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 6.54.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 6.54.00 PM.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 198
Wow...

I'm not naturally knee locked....I don't think I've ever been setting up correctly. Standing up right now, in "your" set up, that feels completely different. Going back to my way feels like I'm locked and tipping forward instead of upright on my hip/leg/foot. Gonna mess with this tomorrow. Thank you.

Wow...

I'm not naturally knee locked....I don't think I've ever been setting up correctly. Standing up right now, in "your" set up, that feels completely different. Going back to my way feels like I'm locked and tipping forward instead of upright on my hip/leg/foot. Gonna mess with this tomorrow. Thank you.

I struggle with the locked out knees too- especially on the left foot after x step, I see the pros have huge flex and leverage off the rear foot into the plant. It's particularly apparent in Ricky's swing. Still trying to figure that one out as the more I flex my posture goes all whack.

I struggle with the locked out knees too- especially on the left foot after x step, I see the pros have huge flex and leverage off the rear foot into the plant. It's particularly apparent in Ricky's swing. Still trying to figure that one out as the more I flex my posture goes all whack.

Re-reading SW's post, he was questioning if I was naturally knee Knocked...not locked. This is what happens when I read/post after a couple glasses of wine and a bowl :D I had to google knee knocked after I realized I made a mistake. Turns out I might be a touch knee knocked...but not to an extreme.

That said, I'm definitely pushing my left hip up instead of letting it hang under me. Even knowing this, I was still having trouble getting my left hip to hang, and it feeling correct. Good chance there's too much thinking going on and not enough feel...

Good chance there's too much thinking going on and not enough feel...

There may be more truth in that than you realize. I don't know how often you just go out and throw and not worry about the imperfections in your form, but the more you do that imop the more you will develop the little things that help "your" particular form and will ultimately help you throw better, more consistent, etc. We all see peeps with what appears to be good form that can't throw 300, then there are guys that look like their disc wouldn't fly 200ft, but glides forever. I've come to the conclusion it really doesn't matter how you get there, but that last 1-2 seconds in your form is where everything matters.

There may be more truth in that than you realize. I don't know how often you just go out and throw and not worry about the imperfections in your form, but the more you do that imop the more you will develop the little things that help "your" particular form and will ultimately help you throw better, more consistent, etc.

Not as often as I would like. I really only get one good field session each week. The rest of the time, it's swinging something around the house/office. I will say that I continue to have a blast throwing rounds this year. I go out there, see the line I wanna hit, and let muscle memory take over from there. It's been working out nicely. To your point; when I'm doing field work, i feel like I spend more time on my phone analyzing on the spot, than I spend actually throwing. I might try a few field sessions where I just let the camera roll, work on feel, and then review tape later.

So I believe this swing continues to move in the right direction. Damn thing is, i've yet to be able to reproduce this swing outside while actually tossing the hammer/disc. Suppose I'm just going to fast and/or eager when I actually want to toss it???

Still hammering. Feeling better. Been trying not to lose hip depth. Rear Heel doesn't spin out nearly as bad as it has in the past. Grrr...off arm flying out though.

I'm also getting old...fuzzy slippers with no toes because my feet sweat.

Last edited:
Hmmmm….seem to be having some phone/video upload issues. This should work now.

Try this:

Put your off-hand in your pocket, or even better: hold the inside of your left thigh with your left hand. It will restrict the backwing, but should help feel what the off-hand feels like to be close on the forward swing.

Separately, in the backswing, let the rear arm go basically straight back from the target line instead of around your body. Double G throws like this and Bobby Musick.

B9LyobC.png

pIamqcX.png

Then marry those two feelings together.

Backswing looks decent but you aren't shifting back forward before you start the forward swing.

Give me another KCMO winter, and I am going to "figure this out"!!! Been going back through my form thread from the beginning. Fun to see the changes I've made.

Anybody know where SP is??? :\

Morning,

Still swinging hammers/discs indoors. Feeling more balanced at times, and when I get the sequence more correct, feels like I'm waiting on the disc/hammer much longer before leveraging it forward.

I hope your elbow is chicken winging here to avoid hitting the cabinet?

Need less stagger stance, note my rear instep inline with front ankle and shoulders rotating centered over ankle so rear shoulder rotates forward inside front foot.

Note how your left side is more across your front side, your rear knee slightly to right of front knee and your left shoulder/head ducking over to left outside front foot and right shoulder centered on front ankle. You have a lot pressure going toward your front toes instead of toward the heel/ankle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 2.09.37 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 2.09.37 PM copy.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I hope your elbow is chicken winging here to avoid hitting the cabinet?

That's exactly what was happening. Probably would have bashed my hand pretty good.

Understood on the stagger; I'm usually pretty good setting up with my rear toe in line with my lead heel, but I'll bring it more to the instep.

Pressure going toward my toes is not feedback I have received so far. But makes a lot of sense, especially when I see where my DG shoes are wearing at...outside of foot...base of my pinky toe. So to be clear...

Still land toe > heel, but need the pressure to go into/onto the ankle rather than side of foot.

I think you are ending up with pressure on the outside of your foot because your front hip ends up going farther forward than it needs to be in the forward swing and ends up a little over the top. Instead, the hip should clear back a little more so it stays stacked over the heel. That should make it way easier to maintain pressure through the heel/center of foot more. In fact, pushing through the ground with the front foot is what actually does clear the hip back.

Yeah, as I was typing out my response...I said to myself that this sounds like I'm coming a bit over the top. I've gone back and forth between jamming and going over the top, one of these days I'll dial it in.

I think slowing down a touch might also help; when swinging it feels like it takes forever for the disc to get to me, but watching my video my tempo still seems fast.