• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Afternoon,

RC I hear what you are saying about 1+1+1...etc. I know at the end of the day, for all of this to work, it has to be fluid/smooth and balanced. Continues to be a learning process of learning/feeling correct body positions, and putting into a fluid motion. I did as you suggested and tossed a hammer around lefty; certainly feels better bracing on my left side, but visually it doesn't look good. Apparently I'm just really bad at tossing hammers :\

Haven't done the door frame drill for awhile, so this video is after a few minutes of practicing and watching SW's video. I think my main takeaway is I know I do not turn back this far while throwing.

Yeah getting the left cheek forward like that is absolutely key in the throw. Then as weight shifts onto front leg, drive your foot/leg all your energy into the ground in order to send your right cheek back (away from target so that it then occupies space where your left cheek had been).

Not too shabby of a finish position there. I think you need to stand more upright posture/spine on rear foot/leg. Looks like you are folded/bent over too much toward the left teepad from your rear foot/hip instead of turning back more upright on rear foot/leg. Your chin should be center leveraged targetward between rear ankle and ball of foot.

When you release from door frame your elbow starts bending the lower arm inward immediately ahead of your body shifting forward instead of moving forward taut and lagged back. The elbow will bend the lower arm straight back from lag when you start turning the corner after shifting forward.

Still grinding. Planting way to staggered, and certainly not turning back far enough. Think if I get my rear foot turned back more it would help turning back further. Any other insights/thoughts?

Not sure turning back is your problem, you round off and cross the streams as you transition from backswing to forward, your backswing is going around to the back right teepad and your stride is going around to the front left teepad, so everything gets crossed up.

Stride direction and posture/losing hip depth as you extend your rear knee and end up planting into too wide/staggered stance. You need more falling off your left leg/knee flex into the plant like raised left foot crush the can.

Recommend striding/kicking more left to right into plant so your butt wipes down the wall and your disc should stay wide toward the back left teepad. This should feel weird.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133543

Link to bigger pic: https://i.imgur.com/Pp7MZBt.png
Pp7MZBt.png

Thank you for the update SW! Glad to hear he is doing well. If you have a chance to communicate with him again, speaking on behalf of DGCR, I think we all very much appreciate his insight, knowledge, and help! Speaking personally, he always had a different way of saying things that clicked with me, for that I will always be appreciative!

So this kind of swing started happening tonight. Feels like I am using gravity more than my arm for once...

Mmm... still looks like you are hugging yourself and your elbow is fully extended so early. Shouldn't really fully extend the elbow, needs to maintain some flex and turn over or under to release.

Note how my elbow remains bent swinging the disc closer into my center and reducing centrifugal force into center and I'm pushing out more toward the left away from center to cam off max centrifugal force until the hit.

You appear to be swinging or pulling the disc more out and around you from behind your center. Your disc is pulled out with max centrifugal force before it gets in front of your center.

Note the finish position, your upper body stops rotating short and your arm continues behind you with your right shoulder still forward of your left shoulder. My arm/disc is pulling my shoulders all the way thru so left shoulder is forward of right shoulder.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.58.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.58.10 PM.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 136
Okay I hear you SW. I feel like I can "fix" the elbow fairly easily; my main concentration was simply trying to feel my arm DROP but stay taut. Going back or thinking about my swing previously, I would describe it as...well...pulling...dumb as that sounds after all this time.

Still believe i had a small breakthrough tonight. Thinking about it, I really believe I can let the elbow bend/swing into my center much more with this motion now, and not max out early.

Jet, I think I might see what's happening with your swing, because I just figured it out myself.

When I had the hammer in the hand it was easier to feel where the leverage is throughout the swing. Not just at the hit point but a consistent leverage from the top of the backswing. I had been on the train of thought that the arm is very loose then engages when you start to feel the weight about mid way through the swing. But now I'm feeling that you can actually feel the taut ball on string feeling from the top of the backswing.

The key thing I realized is finding that swing plane that SW always talks about. You'll know when you find it because you can actually feel the weight/tautness/leverage throughout the entire swing.

I had my arm very inactive for a long time because I was so scared of strong arming. But that was what was holding me back.

When I think about the swing now it's just that! it's a engaged swing not a floppy arm waiting to feel something. Feel the weight throughout, and adjust the plane until you do. I found it easier on s more vertical pendulum plane at first then adjusted.

Another big difference for me was realizing that I was release behind me, because my swing plane was more horizontal. When I understood I had to release to the target it helped define where I feel that hit at the end.

I hope I'm
Saying the right stuff here but this is what I realized over the past few days. You should be able to find the swing plane on one leg. Hope this helps man!

First, super happy for you Par! You and I have been grinding for about the same length of time, so it's nice to see your incredible hard work start to pay off. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you!

Second, can you possibly elaborate a bit more on this? Not quite sure I understand.

Another big difference for me was realizing that I was release behind me, because my swing plane was more horizontal. When I understood I had to release to the target it helped define where I feel that hit at the end.

Woof. So...I still have a lot of work to do moving onto my right side: While landing on my left side isn't anything special, it's certainly better than the former...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your elbow is max bent at the top of your backswing, so it never bends/swings/lags/coils the lower arm/disc inward closer to center during forward swing. If you keep the upper arm tensioned/taut through the Lat as your body/shoulder is swinging forward the lower arm should lag bend behind the acceleration/change of direction of the body.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132496

Thanks mate!

Watching your latest video there looks like you're on the right track. Like SW said no need to bend your arm at all. With the hammer in hand feel the weight of the hammer but don't let your arm go completely limp. Start shifting your weight from foot to foot, feel what this does to the hammer, it's gonna start swinging. The next bit is to make the back swing happen by shifting onto your rear tippy toes( stacked up on your rear hip nice and balanced) then start the forward swing by shifting back onto your front plant foot( crush the can) It will feel like kind of a drop like kick the can but not as extreme. It's important in this bit that you stay behind your plant leg and not come "over the top" but look like you got that good in your bowling video.

The way that releasing to the target helped me, is that if I release with a hammer, I can really feel the momentum pull me up into a nice finish, stacked on the front hip, exactly mirrored like in the backswing (Apart from the plant heel will be down, crushed the can).

Whereas if I swing on a horizontal plane I just tip over and spin out and it's hard to be in balance.

When you're comfortable shifting like this and on a non-flat swing plane, you can start adjusting the timing so that your move to the plant leg (forward swing) happens just before you reach the top of the backswing. I was very confused on this for a long time. I would let the weight go all the way up to the top and then when I made the move onto the plant leg I was too late. That's what Shawn clement means by the move happens IN the backswing. And it's also what SW and all the good folks here mean when they say keep the arm taut like a ball on string.

Hope that's clear enough and I'm saying the right things!

Just to add as I feel like I didn't elaborate on what you actually asked for;

When you swing on a horizontal plane your release point is like behind you or to the right for RHBH. To feel any kind of hit it has to happen too far off line. When you swing up and down (pendulum) and out to the target it's easier to define a hit point.