• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

~400' BH and ~325' FH Help

If the spine it tilted targetward, the shoulders are necessarily in front of the torso. It's all the same thing: shoulders over knees/forward spine tilt. The tilted spiral! The top of your spiral is getting stuck/left behind, I think.

It looks like they have a tilt towards the knees left/right, and a tilt towards the target I think?

I don't have enough of either. As with everything I've found along the way though, if you set up right it will look right. So I'll try more tilt to lead to the result, rather than focus on the shoulder "position" with the same/poor setup.

I think what UN means is tilt more forward. If you tilt more forward nose over toes or shoulder over knees or whatever, as you turn your whole body you will have to bring everything with you. The tilt toward the target is kind of a biproduct as they rotate the whole assembly.

I think what UN means is tilt more forward. If you tilt more forward nose over toes or shoulder over knees or whatever, as you turn your whole body you will have to bring everything with you. The tilt toward the target is kind of a biproduct as they rotate the whole assembly.

Yeah I think so too...I'll experiment with that.

Yeah just stand in football or baseball infielder athletic ready stance forward tilt shoulders over knees and toes. Then rotate your body/shoulders back and forth from one foot to the other. Tilted Spiral.

As frustrating as many practice days have been over the last few weeks, today was that much better. I feel like it's the right direction, and like I actually have more on tap to find. I threw a Trespass 390-400' standstill, discs were holding really stable lines even in wind, and a MachX decided to catch a 6' high laser about 330' into the flight so that was cool. I was using the basket as an aim point and actually ended up hitting it as it was ripping by.

I need more forward tilt still I think, but I'm not leaning back at hit like before. I also closed up my setup a lot and once I got it figured out, it was very consistent for release angle.

At the end of the session I felt like if I waited even longer I could get a bit more pop on the disc through the hit...the disc was making like a THSHKT sound when it popped out so I think I need to wait and wait and wait to hit it.

This is a pretty low power mid shot, my arm rides up slightly but it doesn't feel or look like it disconnects I think. I felt like I got a pretty clean hit/release on this. Looks like more forward tilt and more hershyzer/drop to the plant? Is my arm ok or is that bit of upward motion still not good? Also rear arm path ok...but too far from body? Sorry for the slight camera tilt.

https://vimeo.com/291591276

Much improved!!

Next Easy Power to Add: Toes of back foot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• toes.jpg
    toes.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,783
Your front hip/leg is collapsing, and knee goes past ankle.

Oh yeah I can see that.

Is this better? Same disc, Verdict, first video was powered down to 280ish and this shot is high power with pushing hyzer 325.

I do see that I'm bordering on a classic tap dance rendition of the Stanky Chicken when I lift my leg though. Will have to try to lift it from the backswing and drop.

https://vimeo.com/291598030

You are too centered/upright on the plant. Not leading with your hips enough in Door Frame Drill.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 6.58.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 6.58.02 PM.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 120
I still think something is fundamentally wrong with you trying to stay back during the hit. I tried making a gif from the vimeo but I think it won't let me. But you see right after you release you are staying back then all of sudden all that weight moves forward after the shot and you can see your spine shooting forward to where it should be from the start but its already too late. Makes more sense in motion but I tried to explain with a few frames here:

Spine tilted away from target trying to stay back with upper body
J4RiPr9.png

After release you allow your upper body sway forward into balance
SF6Vdha.png

Paul is already forward on his tilted spiral
X4JMjXU.png

And through release his head/rear shoulder isn't moving forward as much, just some natural release but his spine is relatively in the same position instead of going from leaning back to leaning forward.
KHe7JIQ.png

But I'm not sure how to explain that feeling or what drill would help you feel that. This is the one thing I actually get somewhat right in my throw.

And here's a picture of HUB with his forward tilted spiral, so he has to stay around and comment :D

vA6kmaB.png

Hey I did something right! (Look at that sick nose up release! :eek:)

TeeAvEB.png

Last edited:
^Yeah that's why I was talking about being athletic over knees...but also forward to front of teepad because I definitely agree I'm not there.

I think I agree with your assessment, that I'm set up to be in the right balance but restricting myself into and during the throw or something. And once I release/follow through I end up forward to where I should have smoothly been already.

I agree it's likely fundamental...I'm going to try to get more forward like an infielder ready for the play as SW described...something I actually know how to do. That and more butt lead. I think that will get me more counterweight and when it starts to clear maybe I'll end up in that position. With a lever swinging inside, it feels very very powerful. I have to remind myself how much that butt lead/counterweight gives me power with a FH, got to find the same feeling.

Just for curiosity's sake you should also video yourself throwing some big hyzers. You should absolutely be leaning over for those so I'm curious how they would turn out.

Probably have been leaning over but with my butt too back of my heels to keep the same old balance I'd been used to.

I really think getting the butt forward/not centered with head over middle of body/pelvis like in the image SW marked up will help out. I can feel in my FH how that lower body lead, then clearing from the plant, gets my torso way forward with tons of leverage. It feels like it will clear me forward in the BH too. Along with being more over toes too.

I feel way more leverage that way swinging objects, compared to being centered where it feels more upright and like my shoulder stops and releases more. Which I guess makes sense, since if my torso/spine keeps swinging forward I'd feel my shoulder move compared to what I'm used to.

Flippy discs, get the disc above your hand:

I don't have any flippy discs at 4500', even my 150 class Leo will hold hyzer at that angle at 350+ :\

I know that I would have my butt way behind my heels if I was at that angle and wouldn't be leaned to my toes/knees enough. Disc above hand/forearm is a good reminder. I'll keep all that in mind when I exaggerate the angles, and trust that my balance will get me onto my hip and keep me upright on the follow through. I had some bowler style/Schusterick/tangled leg follow throughs today though, so that's an interesting sign.

I'm stoked though, today was the first day I'd hit 400ish from standstill when not at sea level, even though I did that years ago. This was WAY better form, and I really feel like drivers are harder to get distance with at altitude. I have no idea how Eagle learned to throw PD2's in Colorado.

You are throwing nose up. Elevation should help distance with thinner air, increasing speed, just like baseballs, discs are still projectiles. Just need to throw higher for more glide.

This is me @4000' and throwing uphill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kJb-639s4#t=11m50s

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancesecrets.shtml
By Chris Max Voigt Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:58 am:
--elevation plays a very important role too!! lots of distance players have set their personal best in fort Collins (around 1800 m) and Kingston (around 1600 m)

You are throwing nose up. Elevation should help distance with thinner air, increasing speed, just like baseballs, discs are still projectiles. Just need to throw higher for more glide.

I am getting turn and discs to hold a turn, just everything has stabled up a lot. I was a bit joking with that hyzer angle...I definitely can't get something to flip from that steep Brinster angle, but from a moderate release I can get discs to turn over. I'm just relying on things like a BH roller Vulcan at sea level instead as a FH full power hyzer flip distance driver.

I just feel like I've been below a velocity threshold where wide rimmed stuff fades out at a certain speed because of air density, and it's a lot sooner out of my hand than at sea level. I don't doubt that at high arm speed it gets longer again. It's like how it's easier to throw fairways and slower speed discs at altitude I feel like, but high speed stuff fades out sooner relatively.

I was getting nice flights with neutral high speed stuff yesterday though, holding a long flight and fading forward. So I think bumping past a velocity barrier will make me reach for drivers again on the course, which will be exciting.

Latest posts