• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

So how overstable are these?

If anyone has experience with true FAF champs/glow champs, please compare them to the flat top lusters and the regular flat tops that are being released as cfr now.

Not that I really need anything more than a regular champ, but I am just so damn curious about firebirds for some reason.

Not quite jolly launcher faf, but the closest thing since

Sorry, I really was talking about the flight of the disc, but actual shape of disc is useful too.

Thats what I meant. They fly the closest to faf jolly fbs that ive seen. Not quite the beef but close.

There are these runs of FAF (like rock hard) glow champ firebirds that I noticed are mostly CFR tourney stamps around the 2010-2012 era that are the beefiest firebirds I've ever thrown (most of the open players i knew had well worn ones that are still the most OS ones I've ever thrown). Then there are the pearly opaque champ ones which are almost as OS (also around that 2012 era), after there is jolly launcher clear ones (which are still beefcakes).

I only started playing in 2014 so I never had a chance to get one of those super beef rock hard flat glow CFR firebirds.

The current luster Flat tops from DGV are equivalent to jolly launcher FAF level overstable. Still meat hook but not ridiculous level 2012 glow hard champ flat level.

Thats what I meant. They fly the closest to faf jolly fbs that ive seen. Not quite the beef but close.
OK, sorry to miss interpret what you wrote. Thought you meant they were not quite as flat as the JL FAF's.

The current luster Flat tops from DGV are equivalent to jolly launcher FAF level overstable. Still meat hook but not ridiculous level 2012 glow hard champ flat level.

Have you thrown any of the non Luster, "Flat Top Processed" CFR's that have been released this year? I have a few and am wondering if I should bother with the Lusters if they are basically the same.

Have you thrown any of the non Luster, "Flat Top Processed" CFR's that have been released this year? I have a few and am wondering if I should bother with the Lusters if they are basically the same.

which ones do you have the Disc Golf Addicts ones or Tourney CFRs? I know the Cookville Clash had a lot of FT champ firebirds at one point.

I haven't thrown the FT CFR you're referring to yet. I was tempted to buy the DGU release of the XXL Stamp Flat Top Firebird (they even had factory seconds of the XXL Flat Tops at one point) but I'm really happy with these luster champs flat tops from DGV.

they're pretty and still readily available.

rhCWBGjl.jpg

with the recent CFR release of flat tops and DGU/DGV its actually been a great time to stock up on flat firebirds for reasonable retail prices. I'd love to find some old school stiff and flat ones from years past, but don't care for spending huge money for something that can be so easily lost (especially with firebird type shots).

which ones do you have the Disc Golf Addicts ones or Tourney CFRs? I know the Cookville Clash had a lot of FT champ firebirds at one point.

I haven't thrown the FT CFR you're referring to yet. I was tempted to buy the DGU release of the XXL Stamp Flat Top Firebird (they even had factory seconds of the XXL Flat Tops at one point) but I'm really happy with these luster champs flat tops from DGV.

they're pretty and still readily available.

rhCWBGjl.jpg

with the recent CFR release of flat tops and DGU/DGV its actually been a great time to stock up on flat firebirds for reasonable retail prices. I'd love to find some old school stiff and flat ones from years past, but don't care for spending huge money for something that can be so easily lost (especially with firebird type shots).

Tourney CFR. I have three. One a local, and two from the college championship(not that it really matters).

I actually love all of the options that are now available in Firebirds (though my wallet hates it). I think most anyone can pretty easily find a plastic and dome/plh combination that will make them happy. At this point I think I have 13 and have only thrown about 4or 5. I really need to stop, but there are just so many possibilities.

How much less distance/more stability do you guys find with the FAF Jolly Launcher/champ Firebirds compared to the run of the mill ones with dome? Are they different enough that you guys bag both?

I currently am throwing domey ones and like them a lot. They will never ever, ever show turn and always have a fade, but I can still get them out on a straight shot before a big fade to ~320'. Or are the FAF ones so beefy that they can't really be used for backhands?

How much less distance/more stability do you guys find with the FAF Jolly Launcher/champ Firebirds compared to the run of the mill ones with dome? Are they different enough that you guys bag both?

I currently am throwing domey ones and like them a lot. They will never ever, ever show turn and always have a fade, but I can still get them out on a straight shot before a big fade to ~320'. Or are the FAF ones so beefy that they can't really be used for backhands?

So for your arm speed and mine, a fresh moderately domey Champ (what most off the shelf firebirds are) will do just what you described. A FAF is really too much to be very useful backhand at that power level. But of the one FAF I have thrown, it is very useful for overhands and flicks. Overhand b/c it pans slower and can ultimately give more distance. And flick b/c most people with around 300 of flick distance tend to put more spin on the disc or at least torque more than with backhand, so they will see more flight difference from a FAF and normal Champ. In all reality, it probably makes little difference for those with respectable, but not 500+ arm speed, but it sure is fun to try the different plastics and flatness in this mold over just about any other I have found (it also helps that with a Firebird, you know flat means very overstable, domey not as much, so less guesswork than some other molds).

^Cool, sounds good. I love the domey ones for my BH as they are very workable and throwable on normal golf shots as well as spikes and skips and tricks. My FH isn't torquey at all but also isn't a power game, so I do not "require" more beef for 90% of its uses.

Basically it sounds like what I was thinking, more OS but not in a way that is "useful" for my arm range, but also not so insane that if I want crazy beef that is shorter, that a Justice or something like that would be a better choice to me.

That's actually good news, I can be perfectly happy with the "domey Firebirds for no0bs!". They fly better and are easier to find.

the one huge advantage that FAF super OS firebirds have over domey firebirds and OS C-Line PD in my game is sidearms and backhand spike hyzers.

that 200-250ft open windy (even if its not windy) upshot isn't difficult anymore because I can sidearm the FAF Firebird on a flex line usually within 15ft of the pin/target. Its the ultimate safety blanket especially if I'm feeling nervous (about the upshot or putt) because I can just mash on the sidearm, stare right at the target, and the results are just so consistently good.

spike hyzers or tall sweeping hyzers in that 220-280ft range through tight fairways or around/above trees I can just throw the FAF firebird with all my strength and not worry about going long. It similar to a high arching basketball shot.

with domey firebirds/OS PD's that extra distance and glide makes it a lot more touchy of a shot which can sail past target if you didn't get the arm slot correct.

That stamp is great. Des always has great tour stamps.

Mine came in. It's beautiful.

Interestingly, despite having a much higher PLH than both of my Sexton birds, the Des Chicken is one of the least OS out of the box Firebirds I've ever thrown. It's still a firebird but flies on a straight to fade line right out of the box. It definitely does not want to dump right out of my hand. I like it, but I was really surprised given the high PLH. I'll post a profile picture next to a Sexton bird later when I have time.

Attachments

• 1471634377953.jpg
    1471634377953.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 57