• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I like my firechickens to be overstable utility bricks in durable stiff flat topped champion plastic that fade hard and only go 270ft with hyzer throws at max power.

My 2 cents on firebirds, get a champ for hyzer skip shots and a g star for hyzer approach shots that don't skip. I love it when my g star hyzer spikes a feet from the basket, tacos, bounces a few inches and parks itself.

The way you guys talk about those gstar firebirds is starting to make me jelly. Wonder how quick they could cycle into a normal control driver with some regular abuse? I tried dx a while ago and it got too flippy too fast.

My gpd, gpd2 and gstar teebird all picked up turn within a month or two...made them into great discs.

The way you guys talk about those gstar firebirds is starting to make me jelly. Wonder how quick they could cycle into a normal control driver with some regular abuse? I tried dx a while ago and it got too flippy too fast.

My gpd, gpd2 and gstar teebird all picked up turn within a month or two...made them into great discs.
I'm hoping that's what the g* Firebird will do. It hasn't been in the bag too long.
Those dx firebirds make great rollers.

Can anyone say for sure if the Nate Sexton firebird actually different, or is it just his signature disc?

It's a firebird, the discs are produced out of the same mold as the stock stamped firebirds. They have modified the cooling process for the sexton firebirds that should give the discs a little bit of a dome and give them some increased glide and carry compared to stock firebirds

It's a firebird, the discs are produced out of the same mold as the stock stamped firebirds. They have modified the cooling process for the sexton firebirds that should give the discs a little bit of a dome and give them some increased glide and carry compared to stock firebirds

THANKS! Would that potentially make them slightly less stable as well, by lowering the parting line more as they shrink more?

THANKS! Would that potentially make them slightly less stable as well, by lowering the parting line more as they shrink more?

Generally for Firebirds, dome relates to a lower wing while flat Firebirds typically have a higher wing and are most overstable. This does not hold true for other molds (and some other molds there is no correlation between dome and wing height).

I'm not an aerodynamicist so my guess is as good as yours, but I would assume that this process gave the discs a lower parting line causing the discs to fly less stable and a bigger dome giving the discs more lift/glide

This is not correct.

They use a different mold.

And how do they modify the cooling process? That's some hot BS!

This is not correct.

They use a different mold.

And how do they modify the cooling process? That's some hot BS!

It's not a diffent mold, it's still the firebird mold.

They modify the cooling process by allowing a different amount of time for the disc to cool inside the mold before releasing it.

And they use a different plastic altogether

It's not a diffent mold, it's still the firebird mold.

They modify the cooling process by allowing a different amount of time for the disc to cool inside the mold before releasing it.

And they use a different plastic altogether

Did they redo the mold?

Still a firebird obviously

I've heard a lot of people say these have a zipper top to them. Which is usually a result of a newer mold. I am certainly not in the know about this, but it seems unlikely that a change is plastic would make them have that property again when no other Firebirds do anymore.

Could be the new plastic, but it seems like there could be a new mold piece.

If I understand what y'all are calling zipper tops, the zipper noise comes from tiny ridge artifacts from the freshly milled ball endmill tool paths.

As a mold is used, polished, used, polished, etc. the tooling artifacts erode and the zipper noise disappears. I don't have any data on how long it takes tooling artifacts to erode but I think it is relatively quickly like after a few thousand pulls. It really depends on how severe the artifacts are.

A change in plastic will not magically revive eroded tooling marks.

All they did was put the embossing on the underside of the flight plate. I can send profile pics of firebirds from various eras if y'all want

What about the zipper tops on the 2015s?

I never doubted that it's still a FB.

Latest posts