• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I'm getting a little tired of these 10-minute availability discs put up at very odd times with no announcement (I've signed up multiple times for email alerts, have yet to get one, and they'd be gone anyway, but I digress). Either mold up enough so that supplies last an hour, or limit the purchase per person to 1 or 2.

I'm getting a real sense this is being done on purpose, that some know ahead of time and front-run the purchases (call Innova the "Goldman Sachs" of Disc Golf), and the rest of us are left sitting on the outside. Well, I don't need to buy a Sexton FB *that* badly, and if I don't get one of this year's runs, so be it. Sheesh...

I'm getting a little tired of these 10-minute availability discs put up at very odd times with no announcement (I've signed up multiple times for email alerts, have yet to get one, and they'd be gone anyway, but I digress). Either mold up enough so that supplies last an hour, or limit the purchase per person to 1 or 2.

I'm getting a real sense this is being done on purpose, that some know ahead of time and front-run the purchases (call Innova the "Goldman Sachs" of Disc Golf), and the rest of us are left sitting on the outside. Well, I don't need to buy a Sexton FB *that* badly, and if I don't get one of this year's runs, so be it. Sheesh...

This would be a terrible business practice. No way they are releasing insider info so that the eBay crowd can get first dibs. Within a few weeks the buying frenzy always subsides and these limited release batches don't sell out very quickly anymore... Just look at the McPro releases. If you really want to get a sexy bird just be patient.

Perhaps you ought to boycott the pro shop though, as you frequently gripe about something or another when it comes to Innova's Factory Store.

Logically Innova has no reason to care what happens to a disc after it sells. If they don't offer dealer pricing on tour series stuff to their dealers, why would they care about some smuck on eBay? They only have to sell the disc once.

I have ordered a ton of the "desirable" tour series stuff and never had a problem getting what/ how many I want. They always start rolling out the tour series stuff this time of the year. Once something pops up they generally restock every couple of days, and at some point most everything is fairly available.

Every Friday they launch a new disc around 5pm pacific time. Just check then and hit refresh. I didn't feel rushed at all when the 2017 sextons first launched. Most of the flippers wait for the Innova tweet or post before checking the page.

It's just people in the sport with disposable income making more disposable income at the expense of others, as usual. I hate it too, but it's nothing new and nothing secret. They sign up for notifications because they know, at any given time, they have enough set aside to buy them all and make a profit, with no pressing financial matters that require the use of that income so they can wait out the market if necessary.

All they see is ROI. It's an easy decision. Low buy-in and guaranteed to sell for at least the original price. Obviously we're talking peanuts here, but proportionately it's pretty ****ing amazing, and an easy market to corner.

Last edited:
It's just people in the sport with disposable income making more disposable income at the expense of others, as usual. I hate it too, but it's nothing new and nothing secret. They sign up for notifications because they know, at any given time, they have enough set aside to buy them all and make a profit, with no pressing financial matters that require the use of that income so they can wait out the market if necessary.

All they see is ROI. It's an easy decision. Low buy-in and guaranteed to sell for at least the original price. Obviously we're talking peanuts here, but proportionately it's pretty ****ing amazing, and an easy market to corner.

It's not the entrepreneurs I'm complaining about. I understand what they're doing, and I have no beef with it. My problem is the way Innova is handling the release of the discs. If they'd put enough out there for more people to get a shot at them (and maybe limit purchases per order to two, or something like that), I'd not be so irritated..

They're obviously realizing that they didn't make enough Sextons (or McPros, or Nybos, etc) and then rushing to mold/stamp as many as they can in 24-48 hours before making them available again. Thankfully, Innova's watching out for everyone who wants their stuff.

It's not the entrepreneurs I'm complaining about. I understand what they're doing, and I have no beef with it. My problem is the way Innova is handling the release of the discs. If they'd put enough out there for more people to get a shot at them (and maybe limit purchases per order to two, or something like that), I'd not be so irritated..

I would be curious if they handled the launch by limiting 2 per customer and announcing the exact time early, if the site would crash or not? I am guessing they like doing random drops to prevent any chance of that happening. 2015 sextons had 1-2 extra restocks, 2016 was double that batch and now 2017 they have restocked 4 times from what I have seen and released 200-400 discs each time. The market should be saturated soon enough and flippers will have a harder time making the 40% up-charge. The people who are already bidding 30-45 on 2017 Sextons fail to realize that most people will receive their orders today/this weekend from the first batch and early next week for the second/third. Patience will pay off :)

I would be curious if they handled the launch by limiting 2 per customer and announcing the exact time early, if the site would crash or not? I am guessing they like doing random drops to prevent any chance of that happening. 2015 sextons had 1-2 extra restocks, 2016 was double that batch and now 2017 they have restocked 4 times from what I have seen and released 200-400 discs each time. The market should be saturated soon enough and flippers will have a harder time making the 40% up-charge. The people who are already bidding 30-45 on 2017 Sextons fail to realize that most people will receive their orders today/this weekend from the first batch and early next week for the second/third. Patience will pay off :)

We'd be fine if people stopped hanging discs on the wall.

Twitter updates is the best way to know as soon as they go up.

Got home from work this afternoon and had a package from the brown Santa.

Out of the box these new 3rd runs are just like my 1st runs. Same dome, same plastic feel, everything. I was kinda disappointed with the slight dome on the 2nds. Not the case with the 3rds.

Really happy with the feel of the new run. Will get some air time tomorrow after work.

I should add these have the firebird print tooled in on the back. The only ink on the bottom is the weight. 1st disc I have seen like that.

I should add these have the firebird print tooled in on the back. The only ink on the bottom is the weight. 1st disc I have seen like that.

I have a destroyer and shryke like that too. I'm guessing that they are moving to the imprint like the trilogy companies.

I have seen people posting about the Destros. Makes sense the Shrek has it as well.

It's a good idea, I'm just not looking forward to all the pre-name tooling discussion for molds. More interested in what changes Innova Jade to make to the mold to get the tooling in. The tooling on the new Sextons is completely different vs any other FB, PDs, or OLF I have.

Last edited:
Can't see myself dropping 108 for four of them when I got 4 2nd runs sitting in my closet... I know a year from now I will regret that decision.

Can't see myself dropping 108 for four of them when I got 4 2nd runs sitting in my closet... I know a year from now I will regret that decision.

I got for of them for under 80. Not sure where the 108 number is coming from

Latest posts