• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I have seen people posting about the Destros. Makes sense the Shrek has it as well.

It's a good idea, I'm just not looking forward to all the pre-name tooling discussion for molds. More interested in what changes Innova Jade to make to the mold to get the tooling in. The tooling on the new Sextons is completely different vs any other FB, PDs, or OLF I have.

It seems the new Sexton firebirds are being molded with a new core and a new wing mold piece. The tooling on the bottom of the flight plate is new. But, I have the new tooling with FB marked in pen on some and the new embossing on others, all came in the same order. So, the Firebird text we now see instead of inked letters is not part of the mold, as they appear to be for Trilogy, it is added after.
The wing makes a zipper sound on mine. Not something I've seen in a Firebird before.

Every Friday they launch a new disc around 5pm pacific time. Just check then and hit refresh. I didn't feel rushed at all when the 2017 sextons first launched. Most of the flippers wait for the Innova tweet or post before checking the page.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This worked out great last night. I didn't want to sign up for Twitter.

It seems the new Sexton firebirds are being molded with a new core and a new wing mold piece. ....
The wing makes a zipper sound on mine. Not something I've seen in a Firebird before.

When a new physical mold is made, the machining puts the little grooves in it, which translates to "zipper" discs. As the physical mold is used, those little grooves go away. So seeing/hearing a zipper is consistent with it being a new core and new wing mold piece.

Couple of 2015 sextons on eBay. One is about to sell for $80 plus. Crazy

Hundreds of the new sextons are out there. Has anyone tossed one or are they just decorations for studio apartments?

My '17 is flying more OS than I remember my '15 & '16 being when new.

After almost 3 years, I added a fresh 11x FB for powered up sidearms. I was having problems ranging my now seasoned 11x and worried about release angle. Now its like drawing a right triangle; I focus on throwing the distance line, the fade is the base, and the flight is the hypotenuse;)

After a couple weeks with the new Firebird, I got my 13th ace Monday:D I haven't taken the old 11x out of the bag but I grab the fresh one for all but the occasional trick shot out of trouble. I'm thinking about subbing it for another less stable Firebird for more workable hyzers that won't flip and create a little more gap between the two.

Anybody else carry multiple Firebirds, and why?

I carry at least three of them, sometimes as many as five.

The two main ones are one FAF super hard 12x and one of the more recent JL nearly FAF ones that is almost as OS. Those are my go two drivers for all FH shots 30-400, I also use them for rollers and get out of jail shots. Some skips too.

The other one I always have is a beat to hell PFN star that is great for BH windy days and FH with a good tailwind.

If it's really blustery I'll take out my Stags and throw in a G* FB and another PFN star. Also can throw a DX in the bag if I want to go all FB in that range.

After almost 3 years, I added a fresh 11x FB for powered up sidearms. I was having problems ranging my now seasoned 11x and worried about release angle. Now its like drawing a right triangle; I focus on throwing the distance line, the fade is the base, and the flight is the hypotenuse;)

After a couple weeks with the new Firebird, I got my 13th ace Monday:D I haven't taken the old 11x out of the bag but I grab the fresh one for all but the occasional trick shot out of trouble. I'm thinking about subbing it for another less stable Firebird for more workable hyzers that won't flip and create a little more gap between the two.

Anybody else carry multiple Firebirds, and why?

I always carry two. One flat for hard forehand flex shots I want to skip and get out of trouble shots. And a slight dome Firebird for more typical Firebird shots. Can't even count anymore how many strokes that combo has saved me.

Congrats on the ace btw :thmbup:

It seems the new Sexton firebirds are being molded with a new core and a new wing mold piece. The tooling on the bottom of the flight plate is new. But, I have the new tooling with FB marked in pen on some and the new embossing on others, all came in the same order. So, the Firebird text we now see instead of inked letters is not part of the mold, as they appear to be for Trilogy, it is added after.

Other than the tooling difference, do you notice anything different about these and other Firebirds? What about flight if you have thrown them some?

A few weeks ago, I had posted about a Pro, penned FB, from 10-11 years ago. I forgot to update, but it sold for $15 on a FB auction. I'll take that.

Other than the tooling difference, do you notice anything different about these and other Firebirds? What about flight if you have thrown them some?

The '17 I'm throwing is more OS than the '15s I throw, and the single first release '16 Sexton I throw. No more OS than a standard champ Firebird, though.

Do the regular champ Firebirds have the new tooling as well or are they still the same?

Do the regular champ Firebirds have the new tooling as well or are they still the same?

Probably have not got around to them running any recent enough to have the embossing (it is embossing not tooling right? As in put in after being molded). I am curious how Firebirds are going to come out in the plastic the Champ Shrykes are molded in. Will we possibly see the return of the true FAFs with this new stiff and opaque Champ blend?

How ovestable is 165 g-star firebird? Is it comparable to a champ thunderbird ?
How undestale will 175 DX firebird beat?

The 165 g* Firebird is still a firebird. It's more OS than a champion Thunderbird. It's even more OS than a Star Thunderbird

The 165 g* Firebird is still a firebird. It's more OS than a champion Thunderbird. It's even more OS than a Star Thunderbird

Yes it is.

I carry a champion Firebird, G* Firebird and a champion Thunderbird.
The G* Firebird is nice because it has no high speed turn but flies a lot farther than a champ Firebird before starting a long fade.
Previous to the G* Firebird I carried a star Thunderbird. I liked the hss of the star Thunderbird but not the dumpy fade.

I carry a champion Firebird, G* Firebird and a champion Thunderbird.
The G* Firebird is nice because it has no high speed turn but flies a lot farther than a champ Firebird before starting a long fade.
Previous to the G* Firebird I carried a star Thunderbird. I liked the hss of the star Thunderbird but not the dumpy fade.

How ovestable is 165 g-star firebird? Is it comparable to a champ thunderbird ?

I can't say for a 165, but my 175 Gstar is fairly understable FOR A FIREBIRD. It is still overstable, in that it will fade every time, but the fade kicks in much later than what you would expect from a typical Firebird. Now mine is pretty beat up at this point. If I remember correctly, when it was new, it flew just a bit less stable than my beat Champ Firebird (just the average off the shelf kind, not FAF). I compare my beat Gstar to an overstable Teebird.

As far as comparing it to a Champ Thunderbird, I would say the Thunderbird will go a bit farther (not sure how far you throw, so the difference in distance will vary more the farther your max distance is). The Thunderbird also has a much milder fade. The two compliment each other well, but I tend to think of Gstar Firebird as more of a fairway driver and Thunderbird as a control driver (even though they are listed as the same speed).

Latest posts