• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

The stag, despite its flight ratings, is not going to be like the Banshee
It has more glide and is not as HSS or LSS
The Stag is closer to but perhaps not quite as HSS as a Teebird

For a Banshee you are probably looking at a Trident or XXX

The XXX is much more over stable though

Is there anyplace selling the Westside bags? I've seen them on the Westside website, they've been released, but I've been unable to find anyplace that is actually selling them.

Nope. Which US dealer is going to order 384 bags?

Comparing the pictures to Discraft's comp bag: the gold accents are nice, the little "WSD" on the strap pad is a cool small detail, the metal strap clips are way nicer than the squeaky plastic, but the mesh lining of the bottle holder is poop. Other than that, they're the same bag with different embroidery. Made in China.

Is there anything lat/ws/DD family that is similar to a banshee? All I can think of is the stag.

Just to expand upon what ManU said, a max weight Stag in VIP plastic is as close to Banshee-like as you'll get a Stag. Similar flight shape to slightly weathered DX Banshee, but with more glide, a bit more prospect for turn (not much at that weight and plastic, though), and not the wind killing abilities. It'll be fine in mild winds and hold its own in the slightly stronger stuff, but it doesn't cut through gale force winds the way a Banshee will. It's a similar line, but you're trading wind-fighting ability for a greatly increased distance potential.

Just to expand upon what ManU said, a max weight Stag in VIP plastic is as close to Banshee-like as you'll get a Stag. Similar flight shape to slightly weathered DX Banshee, but with more glide, a bit more prospect for turn (not much at that weight and plastic, though), and not the wind killing abilities. It'll be fine in mild winds and hold its own in the slightly stronger stuff, but it doesn't cut through gale force winds the way a Banshee will. It's a similar line, but you're trading wind-fighting ability for a greatly increased distance potential.

I advise listening to this man. I just finished performing a through background check on him (I looked at his sig), and yes, I can confirm that he throws both a Banshee and a Stag

I am currently attempting to replace my existing bag with as much Latitude/Westside/DD as possible. I understand that the replacements are not going to be exact. I have or currently am throwing every Westside mold, with the exception of the Boatman and Swan. Here's what I've found.

I have a lot of snap/torque, which I find I need to tone back when throwing most Westside plastic. For the most part, their discs have a ton of glide, and if i'm not careful they will flip out. With that being said, I've adjusted my technique a bit and they are great flyers.

King- I've thrown 3 in TP and 1 in VIP. All seemed to have a very similar flight pattern. I throw them very smooth on a straight hyzer at about 75%-80% power. It will come out on a hyzer for the first half of flight, slowly pull up and out for the next quarter of flight, and then finish the last quarter with a decent fade. If I have a completely open shot, you can throw it on a somewhat hyzer arch, and it will flip up vs flipping over before fading out. The King is an awesome max distance roller as well. I'm still experimenting with rolling it, but it seems like it's going to be $$$.

Giant- This is a relatively new disc for me. I have 1 in TP. It is crazy stable. I am currently throwing a 175g Champ Ape 7/10, and the TP Giant is much more overstable. I'm able to throw my Ape at full power and get it to hold a laser line, with solid fade at the end. I am still working beating the Giant up a bit. I have heard that once they get a little beat, it's a $$$ disc. I can throw it full power on an anny line, and it absolutely fight back. I threw it into a moderate headwind the other day, and it didn't have any issues. Definitely a beefy disc. I'm very curious to see if it wears in as nice as i've been hearing.

Sword- I have thrown 2 in TP. This disc has quickly become my go to max distance driver! It has a decent amount of glide, a little bit of very predictable turn, and always fades back when I expect it. I throw it with a little hyzer out of the hand. When thrown smooth at full power it will leave my hand straight with a little hyzer for the first half of flight, flip up flat for a bit, break out just a little bit and hang, then predictably fade right where I expected. This disc seems to be the perfect speed for me. I was originally throwing ESP Nuke or S-DD2 for max distance. Both of those discs are no longer in my bag. Sword :thmbup:

Northman- I have thrown 1 in TP. I feel like I need to give this disc a try again. I feel like this disc is sits somewhere between a Viking or Valkyrie. I originally expected it to fly like an SL. In my experience, I had trouble keeping this disc from flipping and rolling. I can say that this may have been before I realized that I can't torque WS discs as much as other manufactures. The one I have has a relatively domey top. Someone told me that if I beat up a TP Northman, that it would be a good substitute for my beat to hell Star Sidewinder that I use for rollers and sky annys. I need to explore this disc again, I feel like I don't have too much relevant info. :\

Stag- I have thrown 1 in TP. I was hoping that this would be a suitable replacement for my Teebirds. I am a huge Teebird fan, so this is the most difficult mold to find the right replacement. That being said, I do really like the Stag! The Stag is the closest i've come to finding a Teebird type disc from Lat/WS/DD. At full power on a straight throw, slight hyzer from the hand, it will flip up and glide forever. If there's a little wind, it will pull out some, and always fade. The fade at the end of flight is very predictable. I can't throw the Stag on a laser line. I find that even if I throw it at 80% power, it still glides forever. I'd say it typically goes 30 feet further than I wanted it to. It's a cool disc, and I know i'm comparing it to my Teebirds, which might tilt my perspective. Regardless, it's still in my bag for when I need to throw a bit further than my Teebirds with more glide.

Underworld- I have thrown 1 TP and 1 VIP. I fell in love with this disc pretty quick. I had been looking for a fairway driver to fill some touch/understable duties. I had tried the XL and Leopard, but they just didn't fly like I wanted. I had been using a super beat 10x KCP Teebird, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. The Underworld filled that open slot in my bag almost immediately. The key to this disc is throwing smooth. If you over torque it, it's turning and rolling. Throw it on a hyzer with some finesse, and it will hold a nice straight line with a little fade at the end. Thrown flat nice and gentle, and it will turn over really smooth and finish flat. I've also been using this disc as a shorter roller. When rolled it has a nice "S" path. It doesn't go as far as my Star Sidewinder when rolled, but it's perfect for shorter roller shots.

Warship- I've thrown 2 TP. I lost my original Warship and replaced it pretty quickly. I feel like they were a little different. The first one I had was an awesome red/orange colorshift sparkle. This one flied pretty neutral with a little fade at the end. If over torqued, it would cut and roll. I ended up using it for high pan shots, or anny shots that I wanted to land flat. The one I have currently is a little more stable than my first. I'm a big fan of the Bar Stamp Buzzz and the FR ESP Wasp, so I will compare to them. I would say it's a little more like my Buzzz, but longer. It has a lot of glide, so it hangs in the air forever. I find myself feeling like it's similar to my Teebird/Stag comparison earlier. It feels more like my Wasp in the hand, but flies similar to a longer Buzzz.

Tursas- I've thrown 1 TP. I bought the Tursas to replace my beat up DX San Marino Stingray. My Tursas is still fairly new, and i'm working on beating it in. I feel like it flies like a brand new Stingray would. If thrown on a straight hyzer, it will flip up and pull out, then finish straight or with minimal fade. Thrown flat and it will hold an anny line really well and barely flatten out at the end of its flight. My stingray is very beat up, so it acts a bit different. I'm hoping that after wearing in my Tursas, it will be $$$. I'm already enjoying the flights i'm getting out of it, just curious to see where it will be in a few months. I'm hoping that WS will produce this disc in their BT plastic at some point.

Overall i'm really digging the Westside molds. I tend to prefer the Tournament Plastic, but I have heard that the VIP plastic can change the was some of these discs fly. I'm interested in seeing what a max weight VIP Stag would be like, maybe a bit more similar to my Teebirds? I really want to check out a Boatman, i've heard some good things about them. As for the Swan, I'm currently throwing Wizards. I'm sure the Swan is awesome, but I love the overstablility of my Wizards.

Hope this was helpful to someone. Thanks.

I am currently attempting to replace my existing bag with as much Latitude/Westside/DD as possible. I understand that the replacements are not going to be exact. I have or currently am throwing every Westside mold, with the exception of the Boatman and Swan. Here's what I've found.

I have a lot of snap/torque, which I find I need to tone back when throwing most Westside plastic. For the most part, their discs have a ton of glide, and if i'm not careful they will flip out. With that being said, I've adjusted my technique a bit and they are great flyers.

King- I've thrown 3 in TP and 1 in VIP. All seemed to have a very similar flight pattern. I throw them very smooth on a straight hyzer at about 75%-80% power. It will come out on a hyzer for the first half of flight, slowly pull up and out for the next quarter of flight, and then finish the last quarter with a decent fade. If I have a completely open shot, you can throw it on a somewhat hyzer arch, and it will flip up vs flipping over before fading out. The King is an awesome max distance roller as well. I'm still experimenting with rolling it, but it seems like it's going to be $$$.

Giant- This is a relatively new disc for me. I have 1 in TP. It is crazy stable. I am currently throwing a 175g Champ Ape 7/10, and the TP Giant is much more overstable. I'm able to throw my Ape at full power and get it to hold a laser line, with solid fade at the end. I am still working beating the Giant up a bit. I have heard that once they get a little beat, it's a $$$ disc. I can throw it full power on an anny line, and it absolutely fight back. I threw it into a moderate headwind the other day, and it didn't have any issues. Definitely a beefy disc. I'm very curious to see if it wears in as nice as i've been hearing.

Sword- I have thrown 2 in TP. This disc has quickly become my go to max distance driver! It has a decent amount of glide, a little bit of very predictable turn, and always fades back when I expect it. I throw it with a little hyzer out of the hand. When thrown smooth at full power it will leave my hand straight with a little hyzer for the first half of flight, flip up flat for a bit, break out just a little bit and hang, then predictably fade right where I expected. This disc seems to be the perfect speed for me. I was originally throwing ESP Nuke or S-DD2 for max distance. Both of those discs are no longer in my bag. Sword :thmbup:

Northman- I have thrown 1 in TP. I feel like I need to give this disc a try again. I feel like this disc is sits somewhere between a Viking or Valkyrie. I originally expected it to fly like an SL. In my experience, I had trouble keeping this disc from flipping and rolling. I can say that this may have been before I realized that I can't torque WS discs as much as other manufactures. The one I have has a relatively domey top. Someone told me that if I beat up a TP Northman, that it would be a good substitute for my beat to hell Star Sidewinder that I use for rollers and sky annys. I need to explore this disc again, I feel like I don't have too much relevant info. :\

Stag- I have thrown 1 in TP. I was hoping that this would be a suitable replacement for my Teebirds. I am a huge Teebird fan, so this is the most difficult mold to find the right replacement. That being said, I do really like the Stag! The Stag is the closest i've come to finding a Teebird type disc from Lat/WS/DD. At full power on a straight throw, slight hyzer from the hand, it will flip up and glide forever. If there's a little wind, it will pull out some, and always fade. The fade at the end of flight is very predictable. I can't throw the Stag on a laser line. I find that even if I throw it at 80% power, it still glides forever. I'd say it typically goes 30 feet further than I wanted it to. It's a cool disc, and I know i'm comparing it to my Teebirds, which might tilt my perspective. Regardless, it's still in my bag for when I need to throw a bit further than my Teebirds with more glide.

Underworld- I have thrown 1 TP and 1 VIP. I fell in love with this disc pretty quick. I had been looking for a fairway driver to fill some touch/understable duties. I had tried the XL and Leopard, but they just didn't fly like I wanted. I had been using a super beat 10x KCP Teebird, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. The Underworld filled that open slot in my bag almost immediately. The key to this disc is throwing smooth. If you over torque it, it's turning and rolling. Throw it on a hyzer with some finesse, and it will hold a nice straight line with a little fade at the end. Thrown flat nice and gentle, and it will turn over really smooth and finish flat. I've also been using this disc as a shorter roller. When rolled it has a nice "S" path. It doesn't go as far as my Star Sidewinder when rolled, but it's perfect for shorter roller shots.

Warship- I've thrown 2 TP. I lost my original Warship and replaced it pretty quickly. I feel like they were a little different. The first one I had was an awesome red/orange colorshift sparkle. This one flied pretty neutral with a little fade at the end. If over torqued, it would cut and roll. I ended up using it for high pan shots, or anny shots that I wanted to land flat. The one I have currently is a little more stable than my first. I'm a big fan of the Bar Stamp Buzzz and the FR ESP Wasp, so I will compare to them. I would say it's a little more like my Buzzz, but longer. It has a lot of glide, so it hangs in the air forever. I find myself feeling like it's similar to my Teebird/Stag comparison earlier. It feels more like my Wasp in the hand, but flies similar to a longer Buzzz.

Tursas- I've thrown 1 TP. I bought the Tursas to replace my beat up DX San Marino Stingray. My Tursas is still fairly new, and i'm working on beating it in. I feel like it flies like a brand new Stingray would. If thrown on a straight hyzer, it will flip up and pull out, then finish straight or with minimal fade. Thrown flat and it will hold an anny line really well and barely flatten out at the end of its flight. My stingray is very beat up, so it acts a bit different. I'm hoping that after wearing in my Tursas, it will be $$$. I'm already enjoying the flights i'm getting out of it, just curious to see where it will be in a few months. I'm hoping that WS will produce this disc in their BT plastic at some point.

Overall i'm really digging the Westside molds. I tend to prefer the Tournament Plastic, but I have heard that the VIP plastic can change the was some of these discs fly. I'm interested in seeing what a max weight VIP Stag would be like, maybe a bit more similar to my Teebirds? I really want to check out a Boatman, i've heard some good things about them. As for the Swan, I'm currently throwing Wizards. I'm sure the Swan is awesome, but I love the overstablility of my Wizards.

+1, nice little re-cap of the discs. For me im loving the warship and underworld. Underworld honestly might be the best disc they make simply because its different from any other understable fairway driver out there. With all the copies of other discs being made constantly, its great when something comes out that is totally different and can do thing that other discs cant. For me it just keeps turning, super predictable turn and not as squirelly as the Vision. Almost like a longer fuse in the way it keeps turning. Fills a very specific roll in my bag but i cant imagine changing from it. True that you need to throw it smooth though.

Update:

Boatman- I just picked up a Boatman, and have had a chance to throw it a bunch in my yard. For me, the Boatman is going to be a great compliment to my Sword. The Boatman holds a laser line, which I really like. It has a moderate fade. Doesn't finish straight, but does not hyzer way out when thrown dead flat at high speed. My Sword will flip if I give it too much power, or throw into a decent headwind. The Boatman did not flip in either situation. I am actually very surprised that I didn't try this disc sooner. It's going to be a big part of my bag, I can tell already! Most of the WS discs I've tried are somewhat sensitive to a ton of snap, this one is not. I can rip it, and just watch it hold an awesome laser line.

Any word on the swan getting the plastic treatment. Most of the other putters in the family of lat seem to be getting the love. Also any word on them putting out another putter.

I tend to prefer the Tournament Plastic, but I have heard that the VIP plastic can change the was some of these discs fly. I really want to check out a Boatman, i've heard some good things about them.

Boatman- I just picked up a Boatman, and have had a chance to throw it a bunch in my yard. For me, the Boatman is going to be a great compliment to my Sword. The Boatman holds a laser line, which I really like. It has a moderate fade. Doesn't finish straight, but does not hyzer way out when thrown dead flat at high speed. My Sword will flip if I give it too much power, or throw into a decent headwind. The Boatman did not flip in either situation. I am actually very surprised that I didn't try this disc sooner. It's going to be a big part of my bag, I can tell already! Most of the WS discs I've tried are somewhat sensitive to a ton of snap, this one is not. I can rip it, and just watch it hold an awesome laser line.

nice review of the northman. my experience as well.
ive heard the TP warships for most will always finish right were as the the vip stays stable. FWIW.
nice to hear about the TP boatman as i do agree with your review only i use VIP. i was afraid to try the TP because of peoples warship experience.

I've tried all the Westside discs. One at a time starting with the ones that made my bag:

Stag
IMO, the Stag is not very much like a Teebird. It's more like Star Eagle-x light. It's not really very HSS but has good LSS. It has become my main driver for shorter flex shots and straight shots with decent fade. The lesser HSS makes it easy to throw with less power and concentrate on hitting gaps and lines. If it's windy, I do the exact same shots with a Star Eagle-x.

BTW the Stag is an excellent disc for thumbers. I've always used a Firebird but the Stag is really comfortable for this shot and flies great. Try it.

Any word on the swan getting the plastic treatment. Most of the other putters in the family of lat seem to be getting the love. Also any word on them putting out another putter.
Haven't heard anything about new putter plastic at all. At least two new WS molds in 2014.

I'm continuing my love affair with my 178g TP Warship, despite the assertion that the VIP is superior (I can't speak to that, as I've never tried one. I generally don't mesh with clear plastic, and don't know why. It feels more pliable in the hand to me, and I don't like it.) Anyway, this thing is my go to straight shooter that replaced my Buzz. It is a bit sensitive on power though. If I want a perfect line from it with a S curve for maximum distance, I have to throw it about 90%. Anything above that, and it turns reliably. Less than that, and it has a nice dependable line with soft long fade on it.

I haven't aced (yet) but I'm confident when I do, it is going to be with this disc.

You should try a VIP tenaciousg. It will pair nicely with you TP and can handle the extra power without turning. I have one of each in my bag and they both get equal time. The 'Ship could be Westsides best mold.

Northman
This is my second most used driver on most courses (behind the Stag). Usually for straight shots and turning shots. It's great in the woods at less than full power. I can also throw hyzer-flip distance lines that have been pretty re-producible. I have a TP and the original "two left hands" stamp VIP. Most of my experience is with the former.

As with the Stag, I'd like to have some more copies of this disc. One reason is my kids keep stealing the Westside discs from my bag. If you have kids that play DG (I have three boys, 9, 7, and 5) watch out: They are definitely attracted to those Westside stamps!

Last edited:
You should try a VIP tenaciousg. It will pair nicely with you TP and can handle the extra power without turning. I have one of each in my bag and they both get equal time. The 'Ship could be Westsides best mold.

I agree. It's a great multi-purpose mid that's also pretty forgiving.

Northman
This is my second most used driver on most courses (behind the Stag). Usually for straight shots and turning shots. It's great in the woods at less than full power. I can also throw hyzer-flip distance lines that have been pretty re-producible. I have a TP and the original "two left hands" stamp VIP. Most of my experience is with the former.

As with the Stag, I'd like to have some more copies of this disc. One reason is my kids keep stealing the Westside discs from my bag. If you have kids that play DG (I have three boys, 9, 7, and 5) watch out: They are definitely attracted to those Westside stamps!

Sliced and diced last night with the Northman. It is now my most used driver mold on most courses. The 174 old stamp VIP I have is much more stable and fading nicely. My 169 TP was the star of the show though. All kinds of straight and turning shots to 2ville.

Threw the Giant a lot too BH + FH. Even rolled the Tursas a few times with good results.

It's still early, but I just picked up a VIP Stag and a Tourney Sword this past weekend. After a few test throws, they earned a place in the bag. After a round of disc yesterday, I'm in love. If all Westside discs are like this, I'm going to have a whole new lineup.

My bag is pretty much all MVP, but since They don't have any high speed drivers yet and I thought it might be time to start throwing something faster than fairway drivers I bought a 171g Westside Sword in Tournament plastic (has the Swedish text) this weekend and after a few rounds I love it! Some of my longest throws ever. What should I try next???

Latest posts