• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

Mando Molds for me in my westside line up would be the Stag/Tursas/Boatman
-I don't have the biggest arm but the boatman isn't nearly as intimidating as people/reviews state. Knowing I have only been throwing Lat64 plastic for a month or two I can easily say these are the easiest discs to control for me and I have tried a mess of Discraft/DGA etc.:hfive:

There are definitely enough shared qualities between Lat and Westside (namely the glide) that it's hard not to view them as being more interdependent than, say, Innova and Discmania (although yes, some Discmania molds originate from Innova). I also feel that each company tries to avoid stepping on each others' toes - the Stag is definitely more OS than the Saint, the Underworld is definitely more US than the River, etc etc.

Mando Molds for me in my westside line up would be the Stag/Tursas/Boatman
-I don't have the biggest arm but the boatman isn't nearly as intimidating as people/reviews state. Knowing I have only been throwing Lat64 plastic for a month or two I can easily say these are the easiest discs to control for me and I have tried a mess of Discraft/DGA etc.:hfive:

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be a better introduction to higher speed drivers, a Boatman or a Northman? I've been thinking about trying out a distance driver just for kicks.

I say Northman, if you want something between the Stag and Underworld or Boatman if you want more of a Banshee'est flight. I base this off of your disc list.

I say Northman, if you want something between the Stag and Underworld or Boatman if you want more of a Banshee'est flight. I base this off of your disc list.

Nice. Something in between the Stag and Underworld is where I'm thinking, so it sounds like the Northman would be the way to go.

I love the original Northman stamp, too; Marshall Street still has some.

Nice. Something in between the Stag and Underworld is where I'm thinking, so it sounds like the Northman would be the way to go.

I love the original Northman stamp, too; Marshall Street still has some.
Buddy has a Northman, maybe I'll give it a toss. I do enjoy the stag and get the most from it from a stand still throw <300 feet like butter! It seems when I incorporate a run up I turn it over... User error I am guessing.

I've been wanting to try a Northman too, but I've heard they're inconsistent. Is there anything specific to look for if I want a flight numbers-ish flight?

I haven't been using them of late, but I look for the domey ones, which are most. I usually don't like domey discs, but they seem to just glide forever and can be powered down nicely. I like the TP for a nice straight shot with a bit of turn and minimal fade and the VIP for a straight shot with a bit of fade.
Also these discs are not for big rips but nice clean release.

I haven't been using them of late, but I look for the domey ones, which are most. I usually don't like domey discs, but they seem to just glide forever and can be powered down nicely. I like the TP for a nice straight shot with a bit of turn and minimal fade and the VIP for a straight shot with a bit of fade.
Also these discs are not for big rips but nice clean release.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Just a note for those looking to try Westside discs. The Tournament Plastic (TP) does lose stability, and then settles in. The VIP plastic also loses a little stability and settles in but it settles in a good bit more stable than the TP does. This is true for middling molds like the Northman to beefier molds like the Giant. A VIP Northman and a TP Northman are not the same disc but they are both great.

I throw the Giant, Northman, Stag, and King in both plastics and get different stability in the same molds. This is useful.

Last edited:
I like Westside's flight numbers pretty well when comparing Westside to Westside, but how did the King's numbers come about? Did the original Kings have some super fade? I bought one on a whim, then was surprised when it drew Bolt comparisons, but yeah it flies a lot like a Bolt.

I have a 151 Air King that is like that...very Boltlike now. It started out with super fade, but has beaten in to very close to a Bolt. I throw light Air Bolts, too, so its easy to compare. I can get 20-30 feet more out of the Bolt so far, but the Air King is starting to catch up since the fade has diminished greatly. Still like the King as it is, just don't use it as much anymore.

Just a note for those looking to try Westside discs. The Tournament Plastic (TP) does lose stability, and then settles in. The VIP plastic also loses a little stability and settles in but it settles in a good bit more stable than the TP does. This is true for middling molds like the Northman to beefier molds like the Giant. A VIP Northman and a TP Northman are not the same disc but they are both great.

I throw the Giant, Northman, Stag, and King in both plastics and get different stability in the same molds. This is useful.

^^yes and this is why I carry multiples in certain molds...for different stability :thmbup:

I have a 151 Air King that is like that...very Boltlike now. It started out with super fade, but has beaten in to very close to a Bolt. I throw light Air Bolts, too, so its easy to compare. I can get 20-30 feet more out of the Bolt so far, but the Air King is starting to catch up since the fade has diminished greatly. Still like the King as it is, just don't use it as much anymore.

I threw it a couple more times. When I compare it to a Bolt, I am comparing a newTP King to a beat up Opto Bolt of about the same weight. After throwing it a few more times, I can see the hard fade. It's odd, not overstable, but yes, it does have a very late, rather hard fade. NOT overstable by any means. Sort of like the Stag's numbers I guess.

No it is not. The Swan has a shallower profile and is less stable or more under stable depending on your point of view. They are not the same disc at all. Unless maybe you ran over your Magnets with a truck.

A swan in Tournament Plastic would scare the hell out of my Pures. So I'll probably never see it.

Uh.... go and measure it. It is a near copy.

Discraft Magnet 176.0 21.2 2.0 1.4 19.6 0.8 6.6 47.75 8.85
Westside Swan 175.1 21.1 2.0 1.4 19.0 1.1 6.6 58.50 5.44

Like I said.....pretty much the same disc. NOT IDENTICAL, but almost the same.

Has anybody encountered a freak overstable King? I picked up a silver 172 TP King a month or so back and it's my most overstable disc in my bag. I have another red 173 TP King that is my most understable disc in my bag. It's so weird to have nearly the same disc be so very different. Strangely I love my super stable King and use it for long flex shots, were my normal King is great for hyzer flips and long Anny's. Curiously, this new stable King seems to match it's actual flight numbers, when I know the understable Kings are normally nowhere near the flight numbers. I wonder if Westside had changed anything to match the numbers, or if I just got a freak King.

Latest posts