• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

I'm really liking that the cult of Westside is growing.

Here's some reccomendations from a guy who's bag is probably 60% Westside.

Mandatory molds;
Warship, Sword, Northman, Stag, Boatman (if you forehand), Giant (if your arm is big or you're playing in Oklahoma today)

Molds that are just aiight;
Underworld, Tursas, Swan 2, King, Boatman (if you throw backhand), Giant (if you can't throw hard as ****)

Mandatory molds;
Warship, Sword, Northman, Stag, Boatman (if you forehand), Giant (if your arm is big or you're playing in Oklahoma today)

Underworld, Tursas, Swan 2, King, Boatman (if you throw backhand), Giant (if you can't throw hard as ****)

I liked the warship but when the tursas and mace came out i switched to the tursas and mace combo for my mids. I use a river for im missing where the warship came in handy.

Sword
The sword likes to go straight. I do not try to throw creative lines with this disc. I start it from very slight hyzer or flat. I does not turn much or fade much and it goes far. Typical hyzers and anhyzers have not gone well for me with the Sword.

The only other shot I've had much luck with is the a stall shot where I throw it hard and higher than normal to the right. It goes straight to a point in the air, then it kind of dump-fades down to the target. There are some times where I like this line more than a Giant hyzer.

BTW this is one of the best fast drivers for throwing downhill from elevation, such as on ski hill courses and cliff shots. If I get that shot wrong with most of the wider rim drivers, especially with funky winds, it can turn too much, fade too much, or (god forbid) lift and fade. The Sword just mutes all of those possibilities and goes straight for a long ways.

Mine is a 175 VIP. I plan to try a lighter (165-170) TP soon.

Go and get a hard Discraft Magnet then. It's the same disc.

if your playing the magnet card might as well shoot for a Protege Clutch.

Thats what I have been using and besides a Drone ( which will probably leave my bag) and a Comet/Venom ( I'll be keeping in my bag) they are the only plastic I have in the bag that isn't from Lat64 ( 90% westside)

Mandatory molds;

Have to disagree just a little with you.
My Underworld and Tursas are beasts. Some of the best flying discs I have

Mandatory molds;

Why you think the Underworld is just "aiight"? Im rhbh and im loving the underworld. I threw visions for long turnover shots but underworld is way more consistent for me and could be the easiest throwing disc ive ever thrown. Not a disc that you just want to rip unless its a big hyzer flip or something. I use it for just left to right shots and i cant imagine a disc that could fill that slot any better than an underworld. So far its the best disc westside makes. I like warship alot also.

When I say something by Westside is just "aiight", what I really mean is that they're better than anything else EXCEPT the ones on my mandatory list. But if I had to minimize a bag, I'd only take, the ones from the mandatory list.

As for the Underworld and turnover shots, i'm now using a GL fury for those shots, it goes 20-30 feet further, isn't as sensitive, and can handle more oompf.

I'll be putting my 8/10 tournament 167g Underworld on the MP soon ;)

Go and get a hard Discraft Magnet then. It's the same disc.

No it is not. The Swan has a shallower profile and is less stable or more under stable depending on your point of view. They are not the same disc at all. Unless maybe you ran over your Magnets with a truck.

A swan in Tournament Plastic would scare the hell out of my Pures. So I'll probably never see it.

No it is not. The Swan has a shallower profile and is less stable or more under stable depending on your point of view. They are not the same disc at all. Unless maybe you ran over your Magnets with a truck.

A swan in Tournament Plastic would scare the hell out of my Pures. So I'll probably never see it.

I used to putt magnets and i did hold them side by side. They are similar but not the same. Swan is less stable for sure but also slower. Love that stamp for the Swan. Its my favorite of all the Westside stamps. I'd be curious what it is like in other plastics, including VIP, TP and or one of the harder basic plastics lat 64 has been lately using for mids and putters.

My bag is pretty much all MVP, but since They don't have any high speed drivers yet and I thought it might be time to start throwing something faster than fairway drivers I bought a 171g Westside Sword in Tournament plastic (has the Swedish text) this weekend and after a few rounds I love it! Some of my longest throws ever. What should I try next???

Finnish

Count me as a recent convert - both the Stag and Underworld have pretty set roles in my bag.

I'm pretty sure the most recent releases has contributed to their growing popularity - before March, there wasn't much to try from Westside if you didn't throw distance drivers.

I'm considering trying a Tournament Northman out at some point relatively soon as an early foray into the world of control/distance drivers.

Why you think the Underworld is just "aiight"? Im rhbh and im loving the underworld. I threw visions for long turnover shots but underworld is way more consistent for me and could be the easiest throwing disc ive ever thrown. Not a disc that you just want to rip unless its a big hyzer flip or something. I use it for just left to right shots and i cant imagine a disc that could fill that slot any better than an underworld. So far its the best disc westside makes.

I too am smitten with the Underworld - it is indeed very easy to throw (it's become my go-to loaner disc for newbies), and it's amazing for all sorts of turnover/anhyzer shots. They also seem to mold up consistently, at least from what I've seen in the five I own. I can "crush" it, too (at least for me), as long as I have the room for it. Awesome disc.

As a follower of the Scandinavian plastics, I am still quite curious on the Stag. A fine looking disc that seems to be quite a hype as a stable-os disc (eagle basically) but would it compliment the River well?

As a follower of the Scandinavian plastics, I am still quite curious on the Stag. A fine looking disc that seems to be quite a hype as a stable-os disc (eagle basically) but would it compliment the River well?

Yes it would, but I tend to prefer my Opto Saint....but when I want more fade the Stag gets the nod.

Yes, it's a great compliment to a stable/understable disc (I pair it with Underworlds), and the glide is similar enough that it favors the easy, smooth throw that other Euro plastic does.

There's enough of a difference between the Stag in VIP and in Tournament that they can cover different roles/lines: the Tournament has some turn, flies straighter before the fade kicks in, and is generally more Eagle X-y, whereas the VIP is much less liable to turn and has a stronger fade that kicks in earlier, almost like a glidey beat-in Banshee. VIP handles wind better than the Tourney, though you might need an ultra-beef disc for the windiest of days.

A heavy VIP Stag/light Tourney Stag/heavy Opto River/light GL River lineup would cover a lot of lines.

I like Westside's flight numbers pretty well when comparing Westside to Westside, but how did the King's numbers come about? Did the original Kings have some super fade? I bought one on a whim, then was surprised when it drew Bolt comparisons, but yeah it flies a lot like a Bolt.

I think when it comes down to the fairway drivers of Lat produced it's quite a jumble, with the Saint, Escape, Striker and Stag. All throw very similar. I've decided to go with the biofuzion Escapes over the Stag, Striker and Saint. All three though are great discs, but I feel Lat needs to quite making everything that is only slightly different from one mold to the next. I'm going over to Prodiscus's Respecti for what I had hoped the Stag was going to be.

I think when it comes down to the fairway drivers of Lat produced it's quite a jumble, with the Saint, Escape, Striker and Stag. All throw very similar. I've decided to go with the biofuzion Escapes over the Stag, Striker and Saint. All three though are great discs, but I feel Lat needs to quite making everything that is only slightly different from one mold to the next. I'm going over to Prodiscus's Respecti for what I had hoped the Stag was going to be.
you have a point, but ecape and stag are not lat molds. if you are looking at all 3 manufacturers then yes its crowded, but they are different companies.

either way they need something in between the xxx and striker. Gimme a lat disc with a true 0 hss and 2/3 lss and my bag is done!!

I know it is said that they all say they come up with their own molds and then Lat produces them, but I wouldn't be surprised they all are using what Lat already has and adjusting, based on how all of the 3 brands have similar discs molding.

Latest posts