• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

I disagree with part of this. Yes, more surface area on the top is going to increase glide marginally, but wrinkles should actually reduce glide, just like golf ball dimples do. The Pure has a higher shoulder and slightly wider diameter than the Atom that is going to create more glide than the Atom can muster.

I have wanted wider diameter discs from MVP for awhile though. It would give just a little more carry to their discs while still being very HSS, pushing the weight even further out from center.

That was my point about may or may not increase glide. Golf ball dimples at to give a disc less apparent surface area due to the turbulence actually creating a slipstream around the disc. Wrinkles may, and probably won't, give a disc this slipstream effect

That was my point about may or may not increase glide. Golf ball dimples at to give a disc less apparent surface area due to the turbulence actually creating a slipstream around the disc. Wrinkles may, and probably won't, give a disc this slipstream effect

This is already being done with the Missilen and Rakatan (sp?) discs, using hexagonal "dimples" on the flight plate.

So I picked one up yesterday and immediately after going to the course bought another. This thing is perfect. Better than my Proxy with a tad higher stability and speed. Plus the soft electron plastic feels perfect. Does anyone else feel like it is more of a mid than putter though?

So I picked one up yesterday and immediately after going to the course bought another. This thing is perfect. Better than my Proxy with a tad higher stability and speed. Plus the soft electron plastic feels perfect. Does anyone else feel like it is more of a mid than putter though?

Its certainly a "fast" putter. That is one reason I pulled it from my bag.
My spin putt just didn't get it enough juice to fly straight to the chains.

They fly amazingly well off the tee but, similar to the Envy, they really are just short range drivers for me. Not suitable for putting for style.

They may not spin putt well but work wonders with spush or pop putt. Best putter shape ever for the style I putt. Now, only if was made in 'real' plastic instead of toy plastic. Come on Plasma!

just ordered a 167g soft atom and am thinking about ordering another in 154g. as a noodlearm i'm wondering if this really makes sense. in general i prefer light weight discs and would like to use the 154g for driving.
do you think the lighter atom will still fly straight for me?

You don't need a lighter one

The 167 will season to straight very fast. Keeping it there's another thing...

thanks ranger!

still would like to know how the lighter weights fly stability- and distance-wise. has anybody thrown atoms <160g? how are your experiences?

Its a lighter weight putter. Distance isnt going to matter from player to player. Easier to throw of course with more glide. Will become US quicker vs heavies.

I played a one disc round with my new Atom (Electron plastic). This disc is ridiculously easy to throw on any line you want and glides a long way. It is even fairly stable in a mild head wind.

I hit an even par 54 and a 6-under 48 with it. It plays more like a small diameter mid range than a putter, even though it is easy to putt with also. Reminds me of the Classic Roc.

I'm going through a bit of a putter identity crisis right now, it has been terribly wet and my choice putter the Touch is only available in stiff, slick, hard plastic that is not my favorite for putting in the wet or cold.

So I got one of these in a trade and am going to give it a shot, it feels really good in hand so far and the grip is good. The Sheild is the other mold I'm trying and based on feel alone the Atom has an edge.

Has anybody else noticed that these overmolds seem softer than other MVP releases? After one round with my soft core it is missing a chunk. And I have it just as many trees with other MVP discs.

I understand that. FWIW the plastics have to stay the same blend from core to overmold to get a good chemical bond per MVP.