• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

WHAT is people's problem with the Atom, geez! Expecting a hard OM on soft base plastic? For a putter no less? WTF! And it's well above DX and Pro D in baseline quality, no matter what some jokers say.

Neurotic whining...making a joke out of DGCR disc forum.

It's not better than dx unless we are talking about the waxy blend.

Electron feels great but the flight started changing extremely fast. I've thrown a lot of DX and I've never had that happen so quickly. I've said this before, great for putting but not much else.

Only owned two atoms though, so maybe both were freaks, but I doubt it.

I've been putting with atoms since they were released and I've been really happy with them. They feel great in the hand and grab chains really well.

But, they are totally unusable as a driving putter, one good tree hit and they can be toast. They will turn into a wavy, clovered, puddled mess in just a few weeks if you throw them.

If you use them strictly for putting they will last a really long time. The overmold will pick up some nicks and small gouges from odd basket strikes but it doesn't affect the feel or flight. I have yet to wear one out by only putting with it.

WHAT is people's problem with the Atom, geez! Expecting a hard OM on soft base plastic? For a putter no less? WTF! And it's well above DX and Pro D in baseline quality, no matter what some jokers say.

To clarify, I wasn't whining. I was just surprised. I rather like the disc, the softer rim was a surprising bonus that I did not know about as I picked it up on a whim more than after drooling over it for hours in the MVP threads. I incorrectly assumed it would be something akin to a soft neutron, but in more baseline plastic for the core.

The forums are a place to express opinoins and asks questions. I asked a question, didn't bitch and I got an answer. It was a stupid question, yes, but not one bashing the product. I would like to think your post has more so to do do with making a joke of the forum than questions such as mine.

Now back on topic. I am really liking the atom for those long puts where I am not too worried about a blow by. I prefer the firm now, but can see that changing as temps in the midwest approach freezing. I rather like how it drives, although given its aforementioned soft OM I am wary to do so in heavily wooded courses. Then I tend to reach for my chief instead. When these start to wear do they loose HSS first or LSS or both at relatively equal rates?

Last edited:
Lss first then hss.

Same with proxy/envy but still havent thrown a envy that really turns. My beat proxy doesnt even turnover just literally no fade and touch of right drift at high power throws.

Good that is what I was hoping for. Any difference in wear rate between the two firm and soft in your experience?

Not really. Its pretty weak when it comes to driving. My putting atoms from release last year have seen lots of practice basket action in thr garage around lots of sharp crap and holding up fine. Now soft neutron/proton are extremely durable due to absorbing impacts and retaining overall shape.

Med vs soft is just about feel. I wouldn't mind a actual firm version ... IF IONS EVER COME OUT IN BASELINE... !! READ THAT **** BRAD AND CHAD. HELP!

I have been throwing one of my backup atoms off the tee a lot recently. It kinda started as a throw away disc on a couple water holes around here. I would throw it so I wouldn't risk throwing my proxy in the drink, and could feel free to rip it knowing I have a pile of other ones. I must say I have hit a few trees here and there and nothing really major has happened to the plate. Though I will say that this was one of the side boob pink ones so maybe it has a built in shock absorber lol. It also hasn't quickly turned into a flip machine either. Hmm maybe this is why I hadn't been hammering the proxy thread with popcorn lately...

^Its a firm atom. Also this is the second I have been throwing. I forgot the first day I started doing this I hit a tree pretty close to the tee and folded the rim on a nice white firm. Nothing I wouldn't expect from any baseline on a similar shot. The one I have been using since has been in the bag for about 3 months now.

Last edited:

It isn't really, Hell I bought a brand new Atom that already had a side boob. WTF kind of quality control is that? It's horsechit is what it is.

I have found that the soft are tougher than the regulars(no such thing as a firm Atom production run). I am still afraid to use it outside the circle... Even inside the circle in East Tennessee is dangerous if one misses.
This leads to lost confidence and lack of confidence means more missed putts which leads to loss of confi.....you get it, right?
I love the profile and flight of the Atom..but am considering putting my crunchy Pure back in my bag or getting one of the new Star Colts.

Im a believer GYRO really helps retain flight even with some fugly discs. As long as shape stays same g2g.

My beat up Atoms still fly pretty good, they are just so warped and boobed up that they aren't comfortable in my hand anymore. They would make a good under stable compliment to the Envy if they would retain their shape.

I hope MVP/Axiom come out with a putter that is slightly under stable in neutron/soft neutron. I still haven't beat up a Proxy enough to show any turn on anything other than a full power rip.

It's not better than dx unless we are talking about the waxy blend.

Electron feels great but the flight started changing extremely fast. I've thrown a lot of DX and I've never had that happen so quickly. I've said this before, great for putting but not much else.

Only owned two atoms though, so maybe both were freaks, but I doubt it.

How about the Playdough blend? It's even worse. I still see some decent DX on the shelf here and there, but I don't think it's the new stuff.

To clarify, I wasn't whining. I was just surprised. I rather like the disc, the softer rim was a surprising bonus that I did not know about as I picked it up on a whim more than after drooling over it for hours in the MVP threads. I incorrectly assumed it would be something akin to a soft neutron, but in more baseline plastic for the core.

The forums are a place to express opinoins and asks questions. I asked a question, didn't bitch and I got an answer. It was a stupid question, yes, but not one bashing the product. I would like to think your post has more so to do do with making a joke of the forum than questions such as mine.

Now back on topic. I am really liking the atom for those long puts where I am not too worried about a blow by. I prefer the firm now, but can see that changing as temps in the midwest approach freezing. I rather like how it drives, although given its aforementioned soft OM I am wary to do so in heavily wooded courses. Then I tend to reach for my chief instead. When these start to wear do they loose HSS first or LSS or both at relatively equal rates?

It wasn't directed at you, there's a history here of bashing Atom plastic, which I think is way overstated.

Great for putting, questionable for other uses doesn't seem unreasonable. I would still buy a stack of ions, just not a volt or vector in electron.

How about the Playdough blend? It's even worse. I still see some decent DX on the shelf here and there, but I don't think it's the new stuff.

I just tried a thunderbird in dx. It's good. The majority of dx plastic over the years has been superior Imo.

I dont even care how it compares to other companies crap baseline. For MVP it should be better. I feel like we would have seen more molds by now if they didnt feel the same way.

They frequent social media often and surely seen the many comments. Lets all just wait and hope for the improved electron plastic ... Of course to be released in the ion... The best MVP disc on thr market todate ;)

I must be one of the few people who didn't think Electron was bad. Sure, it warped a bit, but it held its stability, which is all that matters in my opinion. I had a Soft Harp that warped, too, and I don't hear people complaining about Westside plastic.

I have to agree, the more I play with my Electrons the more I like them, no they don't stay pretty nearly as long as other MVP blends, but they grip well and fly well.