• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Again, I don't care about the look.

Small sample size but my Atom started developing turn very quickly. Like after just a few rounds of using it to drive. Maybe I had a freak. Maybe I was throwing too hard #hugedong

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy to see an ion in the current blend. I don't hate electron. Just pointing out the downside that I've experienced. Not really that controversial.

But AIM hit the nail on the head. If there wasn't something off with electron, then why haven't we seen another mold in the last 12 months?

Well, if yours was a freak, so was mine. Mine turned flippy fast after starting to drive with it. My problem was that the wrinkles changed from throw to throw, I never knew how flippy the next throw would be.
I finally gave up and took the regular Atoms out of my bag and put in a soft, even though I tend to prefer hubcaps over flaccid pie lids.

Last edited:
And the Soft's holding up better than the firm?

Also, if you have a pic of those "wrinkles", would be good to see. My 2 firms came with the side boob, but no other issues.

Much better. The flight plate gives instead of wrinkling.
As far as my 3 regular Atoms, they all came with flat flight plates, I had no problem there.
As the wrinkles go, they change from impact to impact. Alot of this may be environmental, I play on very rough terrain, even our fairways can be filled with sharp granite ridges. The type of terrain that will chew even on Vibram Discs.

Got an MVP Atom in firm Electron plastic. Grippy plastic, okay but not great; maybe kind of like Innova XT plastic.

Nice shallow rim, though, and I did have some good putts with it. Flies pretty straight. I didn't try any really long putts, though, as it was windy and I was trying out other discs also. But the Atom will definitely be part of the "all-MVP" bag...

I have a soft Atom and I have to say that after a few rounds I'm throwing it more and more and loving it just as much. For driving and approaching it's just fun. Anny, hyzer, whatever. It's kind of like you think about the shot you want and it just does it.

Loving it so much I ordered a hard one yesterday, but now that I read the problems folks have had with that I wish I'd just gotten another soft.

Problems? My firms are a year old and seen lots of use even in frozen winter time. Its just a matter or feel.

Only problem with electron is its cost of a higher grade baseline with durability of standard blends.

Drove the hell out of a year old atom at blue ribbon yesterday seeing if i could destory it.... Nope.

Definitely lost the fade and has a tiny bit of flip to flat/turn action. Ive nailed some trees with the firm but it looks and flys fine.

I have a 155 soft I've been using for up shots and turnovers and man is the flight fun to watch. I put it in the circle for a 325ft downhill turnover and it was just beautiful.

The super light core does make the lip between the core and overmold more noticeable but it's not really an issue for my grip.

Really fun disc. My daughter threw it about 125 the other day which is good for a 7 year old wielding a putter.

I have high hopes for her game.

Took my Electron Atom out today. Very windy day, but the Atom did well for in-the-circle putting. The Electron Plastic was nice and grippy on a cold day.

I did notice one issue... the black overmold is getting nicks and dents, i.e. getting beat up, while the Electron plastic of the flight plate (and underside) is holding up very well. That was a bit surprising....

Unless something's changed, the overmold and core have to be the same polymer in order to use the bonding process MVP utilizes.