• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Who has both? Isn't the Atom just a baseline Proxy? The profiles look identical on the 2 websites.

I passed my Proxy on to someone else, but they are different. Proxy feels a little more chunky in the hand than the Atom.

Hmm...maybe the Atom is slightly lower profile. I'll probably eventually get an Electron Atom for actual putting.

I'm kinda loling inside at the whole, MVP finally puts out a less durable plastic, and right away it's too less durable.

Agreed. It's better than DX and Waaaaaaay better than Pro D. I haven't had any issues. If anything mine are holding up better than most baseline. I don't drive in the woods with them though. I never did with any baseline. I'll approach and putt or drive in the open so I'm sure that helps a ton. It's baseline........they're gonna get banged up. It's a beautiful thing.

I don't drive in the woods with them though.
Well, I want to drive with my Atoms but it's just not a good idea with trees around. I will say that I've never personally had my KC Pro Aviar warp from tree hits, but both of my Atoms today got at least slight warpage. I'm keeping Atoms for putting but I'm thinking of going back to the proxy for drives. That's why plasma atoms would be awesome. It really is a fun mold.

Hmm...maybe the Atom is slightly lower profile. I'll probably eventually get an Electron Atom for actual putting.

I think that's what it is. Maybe not noticeable to the eye, but it is to the hand.

Well, I want to drive with my Atoms but it's just not a good idea with trees around. I will say that I've never personally had my KC Pro Aviar warp from tree hits, but both of my Atoms today got at least slight warpage. I'm keeping Atoms for putting but I'm thinking of going back to the proxy for drives. That's why plasma atoms would be awesome. It really is a fun mold.

I've thrashed my tester I received in December pretty well, worked it back from warped a couple times. It flies phenomenally, and the only reason I have it shelved is it is smoke and I don't like it for blind holes. Even post-warp, this disc handles extremely well. Throw it in the woods!

Yeah, I'll stick with it for a while, especially because someone has yet to return my Proxy. But I'm glad you say that you can work it back from warping.

I'm keeping Atoms for putting but I'm thinking of going back to the proxy for drives.

This is what I'm doing.

I am loving the Atom for putts. I'm also loving the Proxy for drives/upshots... which is why I'm not worried AT ALL about the durability of electron plastic. My Proxy can take all the tree hits! It's starting to become a moot point because I've just been hitting more metal than trees with both of these molds.

I'm definitely going to throw/thrash these two firms I have right now, I'll get others if I wind up cycling soft/firm for putting based on heat. Not feeling bad about it, discs LIKE to get thrashed, it's like petting behind the ears to them. ;)

It sounds like they're supposed to wear like the Envy...not really lose HSS. I hope that's not the case, getting some solid flip from one of these Envy-core-type putters would be dreamy, and would be where the Atom would seperate itself from the Proxy as a thrower.

I want the Atom to beat into a Theory replacement.

I picked up an Atom a bit ago, and agree with many people that this plastic is getting worn very fast, and is very easily warped.

After one or two solid tree hits, all the stability was knocked out of it, and it's now it's a really nice turnover disc.

That being said, I'm happy with this plastic, it is wearing much faster, which is exactly what a baseline should do.

I played my first round in windy/rainy conditions this morning. The Atom performed great. It doesn't lose any grip when wet. It's a little less sensitive to wind than my Anodes are.

The thing that annoys me most about this disc is: It is so damned tacky (firm Electron) that it is a pain to wipe off. My wet muddy towels actually stick to the disc when trying to wipe the rim. Love the grip in my hand once I get the mud off.

Absolutely love the flight. Been parking shots from 300', and nailing long approach/putts. I've got so many great Wizards, but a nice shallow, flat, small to medium beaded Atom is at the TOP of my wishlist right now.

So after a few rounds at 4 different courses and varied conditions, I can say that I love the Atom. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a putting putter, which is mainly what I've used it for.

I have thrown it on a few drives and it acts exactly the same when thrown 320' as it does when thrown 5', and everywhere in between. It just laser beams out there dead straight, with minimal, if any, fade. Electron is even grippier and better feeling than the x-link glow I had been putting with, and grabs chains insanely well. I definitely want to now pick up a max weight for a thrower, and the atom is set as my putting putter.

^yea I have the same problem with the softs, my micro fibers just hang on to it.

I use a Shammy style towel first (4 bucks at walmart in the car care section). I also carry a bit of soapy dawn solution in a small spray bottle (think glasses sprayer) for this purpose. Then the microfiber towels wipe it clean no problem.

Now, onto the disc itself. The more I play with it in real rounds the more I fall in love with this disc. I hit 4 putts from over 50 feet today and a couple others outside the circle. It's so easy to get to the basket on a beautifully straight line.

It also helps my confidence to really run those long putts now that anything inside of 20 feet is now basically a tap in with this disc. By far the best putting putter I have ever used.

The wind was up today, about 10-15 mph and plenty of different directions at the course we played. It actually handles a headwind (when putting, not on the tee)really really well. Tailwinds were knocking it out of the air pretty quick though, and I found myself having to really put it on a higher line when the wind was at my back to get it to the basket near the circles edge.

On drives/upshots this is really a laser, very little turn or fade, and although I would like a little more fade on some drives/upshots, I have a fairly beat Envy that I'm leaning on more with the Pa1 out of my bag for that.