• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

Regular omega was just a small bead p&a aviar for years but they seem deeper now seems like a small bead with a spacer compared to my old omegas.

putting is 95% mechanics. 4% confidence and 1% disc choice. my practice stack is up to 20 discs of all sorts. mostly aviary because they are cheap. for me headless is my go to. but I've had success with all sorts of putters. now a driving or throwing putter is a whole different ball game.

putting is 95% mechanics. 4% confidence and 1% disc choice.

Channeling my inner Yogi Berra, I'd say putting is 85% mechanics and 45% confidence. Seriously, I think confidence is more than just 5%.

Agree with you on disc choice to a point. I also maintain that unless someone has a physical injury or handicap of some kind, ANY disc should be good from 20 feet and in. At close range, it's ALL feel; it should not make that significant a difference between an APX and a McPro Aviar. Getting further out, the flight pattern makes a difference, of course.

Channeling my inner Yogi Berra, I'd say putting is 85% mechanics and 45% confidence. Seriously, I think confidence is more than just 5%.

Agree with you on disc choice to a point. I also maintain that unless someone has a physical injury or handicap of some kind, ANY disc should be good from 20 feet and in. At close range, it's ALL feel; it should not make that significant a difference between an APX and a McPro Aviar. Getting further out, the flight pattern makes a difference, of course.

i guess in some ways i equate mechanics into confidence.

I'll pile on some love for the white bread of beadless putters. I've auditioned countless other molds over the years but I always end up back where I started. My current workhorses are a pair of twin halloween 2011 Star Aviars, and a nice firm DX for outside-the-circle shots and anything with a loss danger.

here's the practice box that stays in the garage: 4 glows, 4 dx, 2 mcpros, 1 xt, 1 star. another dozen or so old and beat dx and a couple gstar scattered throughout my winter and backup bags, basement, my car's trunk, etc.

really love the gstar in the winter and the xt in the rain, but in nice weather its always dx or star for me.

Attachments

• practice aviars.jpg
    practice aviars.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 55
So what Aviar does the regular Omega copy? I've heard it was the grid stamped ones but curious to know for sure.

I'm still looking for an Anode replacement as well MrGlass. I love how good the Anode is in the wind and I'm very accurate with it for long jump putts but the lack of a baseline version is highly irritating. I've been going through the different Aviar variations lately and think I've settled on the P1X but the Omega big bead is feeling pretty solid as well and I like that New ET plastic. I just need an Aviar with less glide and I'm not a fan of hard plastic. Need that softer, tackier stuff.

Lots of good Aviar info here so far. Keep it coming.

Regular omega was just a small bead p&a aviar for years but they seem deeper now seems like a small bead with a spacer compared to my old omegas.
This

and this

and this

are the same mold: small bead Aviar mold.

When you stacked them, the Omega SS's were flatter. The soft plastic they used didn't mold up the same and they were shallower. A stack of 10 Aviar P 'N A's or Omega AP's took up the same spaces as a stack of 11 Omega SS's.

They don't use that plastic anymore. The Omega SS is made from R-Pro. Now it molds up deeper like a normal Aviar P 'N A.

http://www.discgolfunited.com/Store/product.cfm?prod_id=1073207439

Anyone else catch these at DGU?
XXL Star Aviar. I grabbed one just for the stamp. Almost gone now, just red left.

From the site: "This special gummy blend of plastic pre-dates GStar. These putters are extra soft and flexible without feeling too grippy in your hands. They grab the chains very well, even on mis-hits and the flex helps prevent rollaways on approach shot."

Last edited:
http://www.discgolfunited.com/Store/product.cfm?prod_id=1073207439

Anyone else catch these at DGU?
XXL Star Aviar. I grabbed one just for the stamp. Almost gone now, just red left.

From the site: "This special gummy blend of plastic pre-dates GStar. These putters are extra soft and flexible without feeling too grippy in your hands. They grab the chains very well, even on mis-hits and the flex helps prevent rollaways on approach shot."

Those are sweet! I wish they would just do that stamp on all Aviars

I know, right? I feel that way about every XXL stamped Innova I see. The Wraith is so good, too, in XXL.

Downside, I hadn't felt up a Star Aviar in awhile but just did in a local shop, and now I'm like...meh.
Would have way rather had it in baseline, honestly, but it was an impulse buy cause that stamp is dope.
We'll see when she gets here...

just ordered a stack of black halloween p&a i love me a black putter or 5! gonna retire mcpro in the colder months and switch to good ol dx. this putter is working really well for me with my new straddle slush putt or whatever i call it tomorrow.

90% confidence and 90% mechanics

Can't do it without both

putting is 87% confidence and 97.25% putter, because if you putt without a putter for too long you'll get called on a 30sec courtesy violation and eventually charged strokes

you're welcome DX Aviar lovers:

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1125

AviarPuttBlackFlag.gif

Started with a classic grid aviar when I started playing again in 2012. Tried all kinds. Came back to Aviar P&A for putting duties. Have nailed 2 aces on 200' holes. Can find them at pretty much any store that sells discs. What's not to like... :clap:

Personally I find putting to be 40% mechanics, 10% confidence, 10% What pants/shorts I'm wearing, 10% what my last meal was,10% whatever song my iPod is playing, 10% wind and 10% awesome

Last edited:
What's a PnA like compared to a Pure? Never really tried out an Aviar. Played catch with my friends very briefly (unsure of style/mold) and enjoyed the flight.