• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

I bought Axiom Envy yesterday. It's my first Axiom/MVP disc. I don't believe in Gyro thing but damn the disc looks good. It was an impulse purchase.

ugh 77 pages

any chance 25 of those are discussion about this coming out in soft pastic?

I bought Axiom Envy yesterday. It's my first Axiom/MVP disc. I don't believe in Gyro thing but damn the disc looks good. It was an impulse purchase.

The gyro isn't Santa Claus, it's science.

(Facetiousness aside, it's effects are extremely noticeable for me. Whether you like them or not just comes down to preference. That's why MVP fans can be so committed - their discs are certainly unique.)

inbounds just changed the ENVY's flight ratings to 0%,27%...lol... now it's pretty much the exact same as the ION! hahahahaha....

If you ask me...
zone= 0%,50%
envy= 0%,35%
Ion= 0%, 25%

NOW LET THE ARGUING BEGIN!

ugh 77 pages

any chance 25 of those are discussion about this coming out in soft pastic?

There's only been Soft Neutron prototypes at this point. Axiom gave one away on FB and put some in MikeC's hands for testing.

Nothing official to indicate there will be production runs of soft neutron or soft proton. In any Axiom discs yet. Lots of us are hoping for Soft N's at some point with the Envy tho.

There's only been Soft Neutron prototypes at this point. Axiom gave one away on FB and put some in MikeC's hands for testing.

Nothing official to indicate there will be production runs of soft neutron or soft proton. In any Axiom discs yet. Lots of us are hoping for Soft N's at some point with the Envy tho.

A Soft Neutron Envy could very well be the first disc I test against my VPs for all putting duties. I'm not fond of the VP for driving, so if I liked the Envy for putting it could threaten for that spot.

The gyro isn't Santa Claus, it's science.

(Facetiousness aside, it's effects are extremely noticeable for me. Whether you like them or not just comes down to preference. That's why MVP fans can be so committed - their discs are certainly unique.)

A True Believer, ladies and gentlemen! :clap:

Seriously, I've thrown lots of MVP discs and they are great discs, but they're only discs and they do fly the same lines that other discs fly. I've seen lots of attempts at using "science" to explain disc flight with varied results and conclusions so forgive me for not believing that MVP's gyro claims are any more than marketing.

There have been plenty of other companies that came along and tried to claim that "science" was going to make their discs better and revolutionary (Discwing and Salient come to mind). The difference between those companies and MVP is that MVP has actually delivered a very nice product, and they know enough to not have their supposed science interfere with designing discs that look and fly like regular discs (aka similarly to every other manufacturer's discs).

Is GYRO real? Yes but it's negligible. The amount of weight they are moving around doesn't change the properties enough to make a real big difference. Every disc is gyroscopic. Just moving a few grams to the edge is insignificant in real world testing.

Discwing actually did have a fat leg to stand on with their science, but only their proto QKs were truly able to take advantage. Salient marketed a large-scale normal disc which doesn't change relative weight distribution at all, but does open up some plate. Maybe science gets in some designers' way... for super-geeks like MVP, it's their golden goose. For something supposedly made-up for marketing, they wrote one hell of a convincing patent for it :)

I suppose there will always be people who still believe the earth is flat as well... oh well.

Is GYRO real? Yes but it's negligible. The amount of weight they are moving around doesn't change the properties enough to make a real big difference. Every disc is gyroscopic. Just moving a few grams to the edge is insignificant in real world testing.
Have you thrown/handled a 10m Brick?

BTW it is a significant amount of weight being moved. It's an optimization of the property every flying disc has -- weight near the outside. Fat rims get weight near the outside; GYRO puts a 5x-density material right at the edge. Double-digit grams added. It's a very simple optimization. It changes the flight but it's not so drastic as to make it totally foreign, which is what I think some people expect.

Regardless, I am in love with how my Envy flies. It is just a kick-ass approach disc. Glides straight, fades at the end. But just as importantly, feels great coming out of my hand. This is the driving putter I've been looking for. I'm not feeling it as a putting putter yet but that's another story.

STILL waiting on mine from Disc golf center :\

Usually takes forever for me to get my stuff from them.

Have you thrown/handled a 10m Brick?

BTW it is a significant amount of weight being moved. It's an optimization of the property every flying disc has -- weight near the outside. Fat rims get weight near the outside; GYRO puts a 5x-density material right at the edge. Double-digit grams added. It's a very simple optimization. It changes the flight but it's not so drastic as to make it totally foreign, which is what I think some people expect.

Again I did not see enough difference. The Angular Momentum only increased ~2-3% during my testing. Yes an improvement but very minuscule overall and the amount of improvement in real world testing is therefore negligible. :thmbup:

A patent only tells you what they made (and that the precise specifics are unique), not that what they made works. I'm sure there will be people arguing this till the end of time, so sorry I brought it up. Fwiw, having thrown lots of MVP discs side by side with lots of other discs, I agree with BirdieMachine that the affect is basically negligible. That said, I still think MVP makes great discs (with great artwork, thanks to Zam!) and (back to the thread topic), the Envy is an example of one of these great discs (I bag one). :)

Again I did not see enough difference. The Angular Momentum only increased ~2-3% during my testing. Yes an improvement but very minuscule overall and the amount of improvement in real world testing is therefore negligible. :thmbup:

As I always say, in the hands of a skilled player that minuscule difference is very noticeable. Hitting a breaking point 5ft farther down the line can be the difference in clipping a tree or parking the shot. It isn't completely necessary but it is helpful for those that learn how to manipulate it.

Interesting, how did you produce such accurate data on the effect of GYRO tech? :rolleyes:

I created a simple testing gyroscopic model. High speed camera and drill. Measured the rate at which the discs slowed down/stopped spinning. Pretty easy really. I should have filmed it for youtube.

I created a simple testing gyroscopic model. High speed camera and drill. Measured the rate at which the discs slowed down/stopped spinning. Pretty easy really. I should have filmed it for youtube.

Interesting.

I'm curious, how did you get the discs to hover in the air while spinning/slowing, to avoid friction that wouldn't be present in actual flight?