• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

discspeed said:
I would add to jubuttib's post that once you do get them spinning they also reward you more than other discs do for the same effort.
Oh, of course. Once you get them spinning they hold on to it longer, almost by definition.

jubuttib said:
Mike C said:
Are you able to post a video of your throw? The Axis shouldn't be flying flippy if it's anything like mine. Here you can see me drive one about 370' with a slight hyzer release. No turn, lots of glide.
On hole #3, why is the Axis flipping so dramatically on such a short shot? Did you purposefully OAT it over?

That was a shitty throw, thats all. 100% my fault what happened. :lol:

Hehe, that was my first guess but decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. =)

Mike's on such a roll in some of his videos I used to wonder if he was doing multiple takes, but once in a while there's a shank to show that he's really just playing one throw. :lol:

My favorite was the uphill s curve DD drive on 16 for birdie followed by griplocking a 300' open hyzer :lol:

Mikes videos rock. I think they helped me figure out one ofthe things I was doing wrong. I'll find out next time I can get to the couse

wow i like this disc in combo with Vector and Fuse

Vector for overstable , Axis for Straight, Fuse for understable.

i have only played 2 1/2 rounds thus far with the Axis but it has already knocked the Rocs out of my bag (something i never would have predicted)
the key factor that i really like about this is the fact that out of the box it flying like my nicely seasoned KC pro Roc, but its also flying much better on a low ceiling. i no longer need that extra 10 feet of height on my throws like i did with the roc to get them out as far as needed. this has been a huge benefit at both of the courses i played because 70% of the shots where i REALLY want to throw my roc i often have to decide between throwing the roc normal and hitting the trees or throwing low and knowing my shot wont get out nearly far enough. the axis as solved this issue.

also enjoying how well it holds the release angle, i had a good number of nose up annies and hyzer shots for medium range approach shots that held the angle they were released at right up until the nose angle and LSS would catch.

i read discspeed earlier or maybe in another tread mentioning how the power grip is more effective with MVP discs than the fan grip due to the need for spin. i completely agree. i would normally fan grip the roc for midrange shots if i wasn't going for max D. i think this caused a few of my initial throws to act differently. however using a power grip and putting an emphasis on spin really does give this disc a nice straight flight, and you will easily notice the added spin when you keep waiting and waiting for it to fade but it just wont.

really liking this disc :)

I played with the owner of CDGS this morning. He is a Cobra lover, and still has a box of dx Cobras from like '91 or something like that. I let him throw the Axis and he was fairly amazed. He said that based on feel and flight it is the only disc that has come out since the Cobra that he would consider using for his mid. He's very skeptical of new things, so that's a pretty big deal coming from him...I was honestly pretty shocked because I've given him many discs that I thought were really good to try, and the only other one he ever liked was my beat champystar PD.

Plural of Axis is Axes, by the way...
:lol:

yeah.... there's also an Axe model which makes the use of "Axes" in marketing a really really bad choice, especially when american english colloquialism / liberties of advertising grammar make it totally unnecessary.

My practice is to remove proper names (brands and models) from the guidelines of grammar, although sometimes it makes better sense as normal.

I'd argue axis/axes, Axis/Axis. But then I also follow the writing standards of whoever's clock I'm on :)

Leopard said:
My practice is to remove proper names (brands and models) from the guidelines of grammar, although sometimes it makes better sense as normal.
I am 'this' close to agreeing with you on this. Actually, I just may.

Do you apply it only in cases like this where e.g. the plural isn't constructed in the normal fashion, or in every case and also go "a bunch of Destroyer/Wizard/Vector/whatever"?

jubuttib said:
Do you apply it only in cases like this where e.g. the plural isn't constructed in the normal fashion, or in every case and also go "a bunch of Destroyer/Wizard/Vector/whatever"?
I haven't had to use the term in text yet and haven't thought about which way I will use it. It really doesn't make too much of a difference to me, I have seen several variations already and they all work for me for the meantime until we decide which we feel is more appropriate. I just won't be a strictler if people use their ways of saying/spelling it :lol:

cmrichar said:
jubuttib said:
I haven't had to use the term in text yet and haven't thought about which way I will use it. It really doesn't make too much of a difference to me, I have seen several variations already and they all work for me for the meantime until we decide which we feel is more appropriate. I just won't be a strictler if people use their ways of saying/spelling it :lol:
Did you mean a stickler? And anyway, I was talking to Leopard, since he's the one advocating this heresy. =)

cmrichar said:
Leopard said:
I am 'this' close to agreeing with you on this. Actually, I just may.
Nice! 5 Blueberry, 2 Key Lime, 3 Pecan, 3 pecans, 12 brownies, 2 coffees, 25 JLS, 25 SuperSofts, 100 Ions, 100 Vectors, 500 Axis... etcs etcs.

Whatever sounds natural in context, IMO.

Also quiche is the plural of quiche; quiches or more properly Quiches refers to a Guatemalen tribe.

So... let's not name anything The Quiche.

jubuttib said:
cmrichar said:
jubuttib said:
Did you mean a stickler? And anyway, I was talking to Leopard, since he's the one advocating this heresy. =)
I just go by context, cadence, readability, etc. It's usually an easy call, either something feels unnatural (Axes) or it has little impact. If you dig through the (mildly vast) content I've been putting out on DN's facebook, you'd see examples both ways. Breezy jazz, maaan.

Also to contribute to the topic of the thread.... :)

I threw an Axis today and I'm really impressed. Definitely made the bag on the spot. I like the stable flavor of QMS, and it seemed like the Axis would jump right into that role.

I got a 180 bright green

Latest posts