• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

The domey pink one is not indicative of the designed flight of the disc. Report back after you've thrown the orange one around.

Wyno said:
Jeronimo said:
The domey pink one is not indicative of the designed flight of the disc. Report back after you've thrown the orange one around.
That's a pretty Bold statement :p Why do you say that?

Someone's in a punchy mood. :lol:

Quoted from PM I had with Chad:

cmrichar said:
I think I may know about your pink dome Axis, there was a small amount that were made that had more dome than the rest (flew with a little more LSS). I stepped in quickly on this and had them accommodate for the different shrinkage due to this color. The rest have been molding up exactly like the rest of the colors(dome and PLH).

Well like I said...once I throw both of them a bit more I'll report back. Even if the pink one is a tad more LSS than most, it's definitely not overstable.

Good to know that it was corrected as soon as possible though. I'll get some throws in with the orange ("normal") one tonight and see how they compare.

It's not all the pinks and the flight really isn't THAT bad. I bought it specifically because it was different as soon as I saw it and I don't regret it. Its just different enough that when you throw the orange or green ones you'll be like: :shock:

Received my green one today and have a pink one in the mail, pretty excited about getting out tomorrow and checking it out.

Although the plastic is still like the Vector in that it's slicker than eel shit, it feels better in the hand than the Vector does.

Just finished my first round with my Axis...Glad I read the most recent postings, as I have a 180g Pink Axis. It definitely has a noticeable dome to it, and it has some LSS. I don't think its too bad though. As discspeed (and others) have mentioned, it definitely is a disc that will fly on whatever line you put it on. But I love it so so so much more than my MD2s. So much more predictable. As much as I would love to write a thorough review, I have a paper to write. But, I must say that from hype that has been built up on this board along with some of the initial reviews ... Axis = $.

Played 18 earlier today and drove exclusively with these (pink with a slightly larger dome, and a normal orange).

I honestly really like what I saw from both of them. The pink one is definitely a notch or two more stable, but they complimented each other really well. When thrown hard and flat...the pink one flew straight for 80% of its flight than faded out (the flight pattern actually reminded me of a slower Teebird).

The orange one was excellent at holding whatever angle it came out of my hand at. I threw some sweeping hyzers, gentle anny's, and just dead-nuts straight shots and it handled all of them pretty well. I will say that it flipped up a tad when I really got into it. Not much at all though.

I definitely think they have a spot in my bag. They'll likely replace my newish Fuse and my somewhat beat in Rocs.

got my 179 "orange/yellow" axis from gottagogottathrow today and played 18, throwing every mid shot and a good number of drives with it.
not seeing much of a dome on this color at all, which now that i think of it looks closest to gold.
i took my KCpro Roc outta my bag to let this settle between my vector and fuse...
wow does it fly well, very similar to the Roc but faster and because of this it requires much less height. i didn't notice any issues with grip or getting a clean release. very easy to shape a line and considering its brand new i was impressed with the lack of fade on its flight, i would assume thats the gyro doin its thing.

all in all - this will likely replace the Roc in my bag and sit between the vector and fuse perfectly.
still need to play the a larger course and see what this can do on a full rip.

Vector/Axis/Fuse is the best midrange lineup I've ever had. The Buzzz just never worked there like the Axis does. Those three discs all have similar range and speed on their respective lines, and the stabilities are spaced out perfectly so that there is very little overlap. All three come ready to go for their slot right out of the box, so replacement is simple. I still see the Axis getting 70-80% of my midrange throws, with the other 2 being clearly advantageous on the other 20-30% of shots.

Chad has seen me throw some Vectors like I knew what I was doing...

BTW, I wish I lived near some elevation because I'd love to see what the Axis flies like off a hill...

I threw mine off a couple of little downhill holes and I can tell that it is a downhill assassin. I blew by the basket with ease on a hole I'm usually fighting a low ceiling with other putters and mids. (hole #11 @ N. Asheboro, NC)

Just thinking about that huge downhill (downmountain is more like it) hole with the tree lined fairway at Ashe Co. Park in NC, this disc is made for it.

179g, Neon Green Axis Review.
It's proper stable as in it generally goes wherever you throw it. It's very linear and point and shoot like a Buzzz, but it holds lines and is super easy to power down on like a Qms or beefy Z Comet. It doesn't throw like a 179g mid, it throws like a 170-175g mid so if you're on the fence b/c you want a lighter one (I was too, I like my mids around 172-175) so don't be too scared. What really surprised me, despite being flat like my 1st Run Vector and feeling pretty similar with its thin rim, I had super clean releases all day with it unlike the Vector.

Flight: Yes, it does hold an anny line if you release it with anny but it's not understable to the point that you can rip it flat and it will turn over and hold it. It is better at holding an anny than a Buzzz (by far), a C-MD2 (by far), a Qms (slightly better and Axis is more predictable) but pales in comparison to a Fuse. Sharp dog leg rights are more Fuse territory b/c to hold the line with an Axis you have to be a little more aggressive or you might fade back to straight. It excels at anything from slightly right to straight to slight right, much like an Ion. Actually, it holds an anny better than an Ion IMO. It is gloriously and effortlessly straight, at full power and when powered down. I had a blast powering down and snapping little flex shots through the woods for gorgeous straightness. The glide is bizarre. There's no way you'd look at this disc, especially being heavy, and expect it to float like it does. I was overshooting many downhill holes b/c it just kept pushing forward. It has a much smaller drop rate than my C-MD2 or Qms, it loves to stay up almost as well as a Comet or Fuse. Hyzers are held pretty well but I occasionally rolled my wrist over enough to OAT it out of a hyzer into a straight laser, my fault not the disc's. Stable.

If you love the Ion, you'll easily love the Axis. It's extremely Ion-like except it's more neutral, more akin to the early opaque runs. Buzzz, MD2, and Qms throwers are going to be very threatened by this disc, I dare say it combines the best features of all 3 into one disc. My mids are Pain and Fuse and fits right b/w the two. I was hoping my Opto Pain would beat into what the Axis is, very HSS and some LSS but my Pain is turning Roc-like by losing some HSS and keeping its LSS mostly. So yeah, the Axis is in like Flynn and I might even try out a production run Vector if I can't keep a Pain overstable enough to give me something the Axis can't.

So, despite what Flava Flav tells you, you can believe the hype.

Over on the Fall Flight Chart Update thread, Blake stated about the Axis:

overall i thought they pretty much threw like a domey buzzz.
I used to throw Buzzzes - flat Zs, flat Glow Zs, and flat Ds. All flew similarly at my distance, with the D Buzzz getting less stable over time.

I had a domey X Buzzz once, and it was a totally different disc in looks, feel, and flight - very squirrelly and I hated it. Maybe there is a trick to throwing a domey X Buzzz, but I lost interest way before figuring it out.

The idea that Axis = domey Buzzz is not appealing. What am I missing?