• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

Hyzerline49 said:
being as gyroscopic as it is, does it fly farther than a buzzz?

Not really. It is not as height sensitive and has more glide, so I think in an open field you might be able to air it out further than a Buzzz, but on basic golf line distance it's similar. It feels a tick slower than most Buzzzes, so pure line drive distance might still go to the Buzzz, but the distance difference is slight.

discspeed said:
the Axis is the best all around mid I've ever thrown.
a year ago if you had said this id be forced to give the disc a try due to my trust in your opinions on plastic, unfortunately these days its hard to get an unbiased opinion out of any of your posts as they all stink of company shill, its understandable, if a hip new DG manufacturer wanted to give me discs to test and throw id most likely sing their praises on the forums all day too....im not hating on you or anything but its a sad day for DGR to have your credibility in question

Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:
a year ago if you had said this id be forced to give the disc a try due to my trust in your opinions on plastic, unfortunately these days its hard to get an unbiased opinion out of any of your posts as they all stink of company shill, its understandable, if a hip new DG manufacturer wanted to give me discs to test and throw id most likely sing their praises on the forums all day too....im not hating on you or anything but its a sad day for DGR to have your credibility in question

Unfortunately Id have to agree. Especially after going back through the ION and Vector threads. Everyone one of MVP releases has been the best and most mind blowing disc you have ever thrown. Im not hating on you either Mike as I still respect your opinion and enjoy reading your threads. I just now have to take your opinions with a grain of salt which I admit am sad about.

I did however get some Axes, mainly due to the fact Im a junkie but I also wanted to fully revisit MVP.

disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

Unfortunately Id have to agree. Especially after going back through the ION and Vector threads. Everyone one of MVP releases has been the best and most mind blowing disc you have ever thrown. Im not hating on you either Mike as I still respect your opinion and enjoy reading your threads. I just now have to take your opinions with a grain of salt which I admit am sad about.

I did however get some Axes, mainly due to the fact Im a junkie but I also wanted to fully revisit MVP.
to be fair, Mike's posts about any new disc have for the most part followed this same pattern, if you look back at any new disc thread since hes been a member there is most likely some posts about how the new mold is so much better than what came before PD>stalker>teebird, Quasar>PD2>Force>Destroyer and so on......its just become more prevalent and 10x more MVP slanted in the past year or so

I understand that I have a tendency to get excited when I throw something that is new and genuinely different from what came before it. We are all guilty of this...No matter how much I like a certain beer or band or whatever, when something new, different, and good comes out it gets my full attention for a bit. Variety is the spice of life.

I know myself well enough to take no offense in others saying such things about me, especially as I respect you guys. To be honest I would wait and see what I say about a disc once it's been in my bag a few months when the new has wore off...That's when my opinions are most objective and absent of the infatuation.

As I mentioned in another thread, all MVP gives me is a couple of tester discs and CDGS lets me take whatever I want. I support MVP because I believe what they are doing is revolutionary and I have access to them personally. I am not and have never been a salesman, I'm only passionate about that it which I really love and believe in. I couldn't sell something that I didn't give a crap about no matter what I was being paid. I think the Ion is the best approach/driving putter out there. I putt with it because it's comfortable and works, but I could putt with a number of different putters without seeing different results. The Vector is a nice book end overstable mid...It works as well in that slot as anything else imo being a bit more stable than most premium Rocs, but nothing like a Drone/Gator/Demon. I've not been posting anywhere that everyone needs a Vector. As for the Axis, this is really the disc I've been waiting for MVP to come out with. I won't rant anymore, hopefully some will try it and I think it will turn out to be a great mid for most. It is what I've been wanting long since I acknowledged the limitations of the Buzzz. If you guys want to wait and see what I think about it in a couple of months, that's fair. Besides enthusiasm, I don't think I've ever given a misguided account of a disc's flight. Check out my reviews on CDGS Facebook...I don't think I've said anything that I can't back up.

cmrichar said:
Jeronimo said:
OK FINE... I'll admit It flies pretty damn good...
How does it fly for you?

...perfect. :|

Like what I want Latitudes Core to fly like. Damn near perfectly straight. Though I bought 3 from Woodland Valley in Maine (green, orange, and pink) and the pink one had ridiculous dome compared to the orange and greens. It also flew much more overstable than them as well. I suspect this is a shipping issue and not a molding issue though... as i'm fairly certain this is a large reason why Latitude plastic is so confuddled once we get our hands on it since it travels quite a distance before it reaches us in the states.

disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

Come on DJ...Like Jesse says, you know it's not just the MVP discs...And I KNOW you suffer from the same affliction as I do. You get excited about new things and how certain discs work together, then over time change your mind or become curious about something else.

discspeed said:
disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

Come on DJ...Like Jesse says, you know it's not just the MVP discs...And I KNOW you suffer from the same affliction as I do. You get excited about new things and how certain discs work together, then over time change your mind or become curious about something else.

Im most definitely guilty of that without a doubt, I have also quit reviewing discs because of that. I wasnt trying to bash you in any way as I have always enjoyed your take on disc golf and plastic since you were a regular on the pdga boards. Its always tripped me out how at different times our bags and experiences mirrored each other.

I just had to agree with Jesse about your recent reviews and felt like chiming in. Your passion for discs comes across in your reviews strongly and I used to agree with you all the time but now its a lil less common. And I cant blame you your reviews of MVP for many reasons and im sure they love having you as you definitely motivate people to buy their plastic, intentional or not. I just crack up how all their discs have been the best thimg since sliced bread including the revisions to the current molds.

I do understand that I've staked a lot of my credibility in MVP, and with MVP it will rise or fall. I like my odds. What I don't see is anyone disputing any of the content of my reviews. I know I use a lot of adjectives like "a bit" and "slightly more or less", etc to try and keep my reviews in focus and not let my enthusiasm overwhelm them. I'm conscious of my own tendencies and I try to keep myself in check. Sometimes after I get back from a good day of throwing my excitement still gets the best of me though. I guess it's both my strength and my weakness in one.

As far as the Axis goes, I understand that I'm a bit like the boy who cried wolf, and that sucks. It is worth the hype, but now people are questioning that because I've been guilty of overhype in the past. All I can do now is let other people throw it and confirm my initial assessment (or not). Look at Jeronimo...he didn't even want to like it. :lol:

Like I said I still bought an axis, so Ill be comparing my results to your for sure. Also have some vectors and IONs headed my way again for a revisit. Id be lying if yours and Mike C's reviews didnt have a hand in that but now I just tend to be less hyped about the disc until I actually throw it.

I appreciate everyone's input and I'm glad that we can keep it classy for the most part!

Jeronimo said:
I suspect this is a shipping issue and not a molding issue though... as i'm fairly certain this is a large reason why Latitude plastic is so confuddled once we get our hands on it since it travels quite a distance before it reaches us in the states.
Wouldn't bet on it, they're right next to us and they vary just as much here.

Rivers are very similar to each other here, bought around 10 so far from different runs and both opto and GL; they've all behaved very much the same no matter the weight. I have 5 Strikers of which one is freakishly high PLH, but the rest are very similar. I have only experience of two XXX's and first run opto Flows and first and X-run GL flows, the GL flows are pretty much identical with eachother, as are all the opto flows I've had, admittedly I only have 2 max weight FR pink optos.

My feeling of cores is that they vary slightly, but you can't really guess the stability by the dome or plastic at all, really have to compare the PLH.

The fuses seem to be dome dependant, the flatter ones are very similar to each other independent of plastic, but the somewhat domey opto ones at the least seem to have more fade to them.

I've thrown ONE opto pain which was blue(IIRC) and it indeed wasn't overstable at all as the general consensus seems to be with blue pains, straight to slight s-curve type of flight, so the curse of blue Pain seems to stick here as well. I have two GL copper pains at max weight, they're very overstable with flash, without flash I can't turn em on 330 distance even into slight wind, but they're very straight most of the flight finishing with a hefty(as hefty as it can get with next to no speed) fade.

What I've read of inconsistency of Lat molds, it indeed seems they seem more all over there over the pond than they're here. For sure they're not the image of perfection in consistency here either, but they're not that much all over the place in my experience, at least in all molds.

What thread was this again...oh Axis, oh well let's hope the thread-jacking ends here.

disc junkie said:
discspeed said:
disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
discspeed said:

Im most definitely guilty of that without a doubt, I have also quit reviewing discs because of that. I wasnt trying to bash you in any way as I have always enjoyed your take on disc golf and plastic since you were a regular on the pdga boards. Its always tripped me out how at different times our bags and experiences mirrored each other.

I just had to agree with Jesse about your recent reviews and felt like chiming in. Your passion for discs comes across in your reviews strongly and I used to agree with you all the time but now its a lil less common. And I cant blame you your reviews of MVP for many reasons and im sure they love having you as you definitely motivate people to buy their plastic, intentional or not. I just crack up how all their discs have been the best thimg since sliced bread including the revisions to the current molds.

I try to compare HSS, LSS etc. to staple discs so that people get an idea about the usability of a new disc vs the ole and if it would suite their needs and preferences. I want to describe the disc and leave the decision of getting the disc to the reader.

Well, when I get my chance to throw an Axis, I can give the review of a novice thrower with super OAT tendencies, and who could care less about brand. I simply want discs that do what I need them to do, regardless of who makes it. I'll try anything. I've been very much looking forward to the Axis, hoping that it can be a disc that "just goes straight" for me, even with my OAT. With my midranges, I sometimes when driving will get a clean throw but more often get too much torque and even overstable discs will turn too much for me. And I don't have a strong arm. It's bad form causing the turning. I know that it would be better for my form to improve instead of to have a disc compensate for bad form. But I'd love for the gyro effect to straighten out my over torqued mistake throws and give me a throw that from start to finish goes mostly straight.

turso said:
The fuses seem to be dome dependant, the flatter ones are very similar to each other independent of plastic, but the somewhat domey opto ones at the least seem to have more fade to them.
Wasn't that super domey green opto the least stable one back when you first started with Fuses?

Latest posts