• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

Oh yeah, that reminds me: How does it handle the Comet's favorite trick, the short, low power anhyzer?

I have hard time believing the glide is comet-like before I see it though.
jubuttib said:
Oh yeah, that reminds me: How does it handle the Comet's favorite trick, the short, low power anhyzer?

Let me be clear...No disc can now or perhaps ever match the Comet's glide at low speeds. Disc designers would have to put themselves in a 1990s mentality to achieve that. The Axis is low profile and faster than a Roc, so it's not going to look like a Comet in the air. I refuse to compare Fuses/Comets due to the radically different designs and HSS, and when it comes to real specifics it's also hard to compare the Comet and the Axis. I will say that the Axis is closer to a Comet than the Fuse in that it has a true neutral stability and it's easy to turn but hard to flip. The Axis also holds it's altitude on different angles like the Comet and is effortless to get up in the air like a Comet as well. The glide is hard to compare as the Axis is 1-2 steps faster. They probably have a similar range when each are thrown optimally, though I'd give a slight nod to the Axis in all but tailwinds. Due to the similar air-out range and the Axis being faster, logically that suggests the Comet probably still has a slight glide advantage.

Regarding the second quote...The Axis does that shot remarkably well because it holds it's height and does not need an excessive angle to hold a sweeping anny even at low to medium speeds. Again, it is faster and this makes the lines a little different.

So how does this compare/differ to a Storm? From your description Dspeed, it sounds really close to what I remember the Storm being. Point and throw, then watch it land where you wanted. I know the Storm is more of a driver but it sounds like this may be the same type of thing. (Or it seems that mids are getting faster as well these days and getting into that old school driver area like the Storm, Stratus, Cobra, Stingray.....). Anyway, sounds like a disc I will be giving a trial run.

dvlcek said:
So how does this compare/differ to a Storm? From your description Dspeed, it sounds really close to what I remember the Storm being. Point and throw, then watch it land where you wanted. I know the Storm is more of a driver but it sounds like this may be the same type of thing. (Or it seems that mids are getting faster as well these days and getting into that old school driver area like the Storm, Stratus, Cobra, Stingray.....). Anyway, sounds like a disc I will be giving a trial run.

I forgot about the Storm...However, I threw a lot of Z Storms back in the day. That is actually a pretty good comparison, though I think the Storm was definitely a little faster than the Axis, and the Axis has a bit more glide. The neutral flight is similar. I also remember the Z Storm breaking into a bit more of a Cobra-style hyzer flip disc after a few good whacks, and something tells me that the Axis is not going to give up stability like that. In the hand the Axis feels more like a Buzzz or a Fuse, not as shallow as the Storm.

Thanks Discspeed. I was really interested in hearing about the flights since I figured the Storm would be a little faster and shallower in the grip. Assuming the same thing that the Axis won't break in near as fast. I was just starting to discover the Storm when Dcraft pulled it from production so I never pursued any further. Just remember it being a very straight disc with not much fade that fit between mids and fairway drivers for me. Now a days, I can get my mids there and wouldn't mind that "out-of-the-box" straight mid for lower lines that the Comet can't do as well.

Monocacy said:
turso said:
I have hard time believing the glide is comet-like before I see it though.
Even if the Axis is all that, the Comet might stay in the bag for certain courses that require particularly Comety shots on certain holes. I would like to stick with two midrange molds, though - throwing a lot of different discs definitely messes with my consistency.

The Axis definitely glides well, check this link out. Look at how long it glides out, and that's on a hyzer line.

I find it's faster and not quite as easy to turn over as a Comet. They cover a lot of the same shots but the way they get there will be different.

would you guys that have thrown it say it is faster or slower than the buzzz or the same speed? If it is just a slightly slower buzzz ( or even the same speed) I am definatley going to be trying this bad boy out.

chickenonabun said:
would you guys that have thrown it say it is faster or slower than the buzzz or the same speed? If it is just a slightly slower buzzz ( or even the same speed) I am definatley going to be trying this bad boy out.

It is slightly slower, but closer to a Buzzz than a Roc in speed.

Mike C said:
The Axis definitely glides well, check this link out. Look at how long it glides out, and that's on a hyzer line.
I had seen and enjoyed your videos, so thank you for posting them. You need to realize, though, that we live in different universes with regards to throwing distance. I usually throw midranges inside 250', so most will fly somewhat differently for me.

Mike C said:
I find it's faster and not quite as easy to turn over as a Comet. They cover a lot of the same shots but the way they get there will be different.
That is what I'm looking forward to testing. To use putters as an example, I have bounced between carrying two molds (Wizard and Magic) versus carrying one workable mold (Warlock previously, now Ion). It took some time to learn to replicate Magic lines with an Ion, but in general the more I throw a particular mold the better I seem to do. I am hoping that the Axis will be able to cover Comet lines and more.

If you click that link again and watch the first two drives, the third shot is a nice laser upshot at about 100'. They glide well at shorter ranges too, as long as you get a little spin on them.

Mike C said:
If you click that link again and watch the first two drives, the third shot is a nice laser upshot at about 100'. They glide well at shorter ranges too, as long as you get a little spin on them.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I assumed that shot was a putter, so I will await even more impatiently the day that the 165ish Axis is released.

Prediction: Shortly after the 160s Axis is released we will start hearing about how they fly the same lines as the heavier Axis, but with better glide. Disc Golf Center and Marshall Street will sell out of light Axes quickly, and re-stock slowly. Sigh.

jgheels1999 said:
I'm really looking forward to this thing being a nice compliment to the Fuse.

It is a very nice compliment. Once I got my first Fuse good and broken in I added a new Fuse hoping to compliment it. Unfortunately the new Fuse flew on the exact same lines, just from a flatter release and wasn't any more reliable in the wind. The Axis is the disc I wanted the new Fuse to be...Really straight and line holding, but not touchy and really wind resistant for a neutral disc.

discspeed said:
jgheels1999 said:
I'm really looking forward to this thing being a nice compliment to the Fuse.

It is a very nice compliment. Once I got my first Fuse good and broken in I added a new Fuse hoping to compliment it. Unfortunately the new Fuse flew on the exact same lines, just from a flatter release and wasn't any more reliable in the wind. The Axis is the disc I wanted the new Fuse to be...Really straight and line holding, but not touchy and really wind resistant for a neutral disc.

Sounds perfect. I have a spot for two of these suckers in the bag right now.

I can't wait until they make a fairway driver. An Ion is to the Wizard...what a (insert future MVP FD) is to the Gazelle would be nice (;))

"ION is to Wizard as MVP FD is to TeeBird/Eagle" would be even better.

Latest posts