• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

At my handicap today I put my Axis out about 375' on a 390' hole on a line that held it's slight anny release for the whole flight, panning out flat at the very end. This is the best comparison to my favorite 2FR Buzzz as I used to throw it on a similar line, and I must say that the Axis got there a little easier. I really like how it's hard to flip the Axis, yet it holds any tiny little angle you put on it really easily. My Fuse has been pretty much relegated to hyzer flip and touch anny shots.

C'mon people, I need some more Axis reviews here so I stop getting accused of overhyping it!!! :lol: I'm literally daring anyone to give it a "meh" or deny that it flies insanely well.

Ill get some and throw only them for my mid for an entire month if you do the same with DX Rocs

Jesse B 707 said:
Ill get some and throw only them for my mid for an entire month if you do the same with DX Rocs

Been there, done that. In 2005-2006 I used Rocs exclusively for a year. It was right before the forums started here and I had been reading all of Blake's stuff. I've still got my beautifully beaten dx Roc...What happened was that I moved to FL and suddenly had to deal with the combo of disc loss (all our courses have a ton of water) and low ceilings (seems to be the favored method of challenge by course designers with flat land). I also didn't have the winters to deal with (where the grip of dx was really advantageous). I first added a coyote to throw because I didn't want to lose my only real seasoned Roc on water holes, and eventually I threw a Buzzz again and my Roc phase was over. Basically the same reasons that Climo is throwing the MD2 on these courses now.

I just picked up an MD2 on a lark and it's rim looks more like the QMS than the Mako. am I smoking crack?

oh and what does the rim on the Axis look like?

EDIT: also I've noticed that neither my ION nor my Vector FH well. read not at all. Does the Axis FH well? I'm not the best at FH but I can flick a Polecat just fine.

both of them just flip the hell over on me. and Frank you've seen me flick a Polecat and a Comet smooth as silk in the same round. maybe I've been twerkin' it.

I FH my Ions very well, but wobble my Vectors. I think this is very personal related to time spent practicing and grip comfortability. IMO if a disc is good for BH it's good for FH if you can learn a clean release.

discspeed said:
C'mon people, I need some more Axis reviews here so I stop getting accused of overhyping it!!! :lol: I'm literally daring anyone to give it a "meh" or deny that it flies insanely well.

first off, my credibility should not be taken in a direct relation to my post count.

i only played like 23 holes today, but im a fan. buzzz guy not rocs, and at first it was frustrating because i was too used to buzzz's. after about 5 or so tosses i got into my head "think better version of a spider." NOBODY on here or DGCR has even mentioned a spider comparison, but it should be known. WAYYY BETTER VERSION OF A SPIDER!!! << (with less fade)

to actually kinda review it, once i got that in my head and "what a buzzz should be" out of my head, it was awesome. maybe when it beats in (which will take forever im sure, my vector has been abused and looks/flys entirely way too close to new) it will have that flip-to-flat like buzzzs do oh so well, but otherwise it actually has to be thrown level. discspeed was not kidding when he said it literally reacts to whatever release angle. on its first toss on a field hole i assumed 400 ft of power would make it flip to flat from the SLIGHTEST little hyzer angle but i was wrong. shot left like a driver thats too fast for me [i did throw it a little nose up]. with nobody behind me i actually made the jog to grab it and re throw it, and im glad i did. i put that same amount of angle into anhyzer and it tracked right very gradually exactly how i assumed it would - flattened out very smoothly toward the very end of its flight.

it was hard to try and adjust to the speed difference between a buzzz and an axis. even without a low ceiling i very much so enjoy keeping a buzzz low and puuurrty. OR, im not throwing a buzzz and i know the disc is slower (whatever it my be)...i hate to keep using that as a comparison disc, but its just what comes to mind.

**im going to stop here because ive been watching the eagles...been trying to write this review for 2 hours but its just not the time or place lol. ill finish it later**

long story short, im enjoying the axis already and cant wait to throw it another 100 times.

discspeed said:
IMO if a disc is good for BH it's good for FH if you can learn a clean release.

This is a pretty large blanket statement. "good for FH" is kinda hard to define. What makes a disc good for forehanding? Isn't pretty much any disc good FH or BH with a clean release? you see what I'm saying here, it's late and I'm tired.

I have a pretty smooth forehand release (I can throw putters and mids FH fairly easily) but the vector's shape never seemed to work well for me FH. Despite its stability, I found comets easier to FH than vectors, even with their much more touchy stability. I use a split two finger FH grip for throwing putters and mids (Like a peace sign) and the vector never worked well for FH.

Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:
IMO if a disc is good for BH it's good for FH if you can learn a clean release.

This is a pretty large blanket statement. "good for FH" is kinda hard to define. What makes a disc good for forehanding? Isn't pretty much any disc good FH or BH with a clean release? you see what I'm saying here, it's late and I'm tired.

I guess what I was saying is that if you get OAT on a disc with your FH this is not a universal characteristic of a disc, but a product of your grip and learning history. It wouldn't be right if I said that the Roc sucks for BH compared to the Buzzz because I can throw the Buzzz clean but get OAT with the Roc (just an example)....And that's what I'm getting from the above discussion. People are saying a disc is "good for FH" if they get a clean release, and bad if they OAT it and it turns over. This says more about the person than it does about the disc.

I think since FH is a secondary type of throw for most of us we tend to have different attitudes toward discs. We tend to just go with what works for us naturally and avoid discs that we get OAT with because we don't put the time into our FH grip that we do with our backhand.

Whiz said:
I have a pretty smooth forehand release (I can throw putters and mids FH fairly easily) but the vector's shape never seemed to work well for me FH. Despite its stability, I found comets easier to FH than vectors, even with their much more touchy stability. I use a split two finger FH grip for throwing putters and mids (Like a peace sign) and the vector never worked well for FH.

Same for me...Comets(Z) are surprisingly stable for me FH, but I too have difficulty with the Vector's rim. I'm going to really try and see if I can remedy this through practice this year. I could never FH a Roc clean either. FH grip is a strange thing. I also FH the River perfectly clean, making it more stable, but I get some OAT on my XXXs. I think I just need to practice 200' FH shots in the field with all my discs.concentrating on clean release and work up from there in power and distance.

Wyno said:
Jeez, dgc is out of Axes :eek:
Fill'er up with lighter ones Chad :lol:
We will do what we can. I believe DGC placed another order for more First Runs. Sales of the Axis are literally through the roof right now.

cmrichar said:
Wyno said:
Jeez, dgc is out of Axes :eek:
Fill'er up with lighter ones Chad :lol:
We will do what we can. I believe DGC placed another order for more First Runs. Sales of the Axis are literally through the roof right now.
Congratulations, hope you're able to keep up with demand!
My vote goes to everything @ 170 :)

It seems like the buzz surrounding the Axis is increasing the interest in the Ion and Vector. Hopefully the Axis will be a huge hit. I really want MVP to take off. If for no other reason than to rub it in the faces of smug golfers who look at me like I'm throwing a Lightning B-17 when I throw the Ion.

I had a chance to throw one of these a little bit this weekend...not a definitive review as it was in mostly ~10-15mph winds. It was using a pink 180 with a slightly larger dome than other ones I looked at.

It was honestly a little bit more stable than I thought it would be. Well...I suppose as others have mentioned it just doesn't flip up at all on 300-350' shots. The first few I let out at a slight hyzer expecting them to level out but they just held that line for the first 90% of the flight than faded out. After I noticed this...if I let them out flat or slightly anny they also held those lines for a large part of the flight. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to put these in the bag or not (simply because I didn't get to throw them much at all). I will say that I parked a ~320' hole with the Axis on a low line drive anhyzer that I had previously been struggling with throwing my Rocs or Fuses (depending on wind).

In any case, I stopped at Gotta Go Gotta Throw this morning and picked up a slightly flatter orange Axis to throw around. I'll hopefully get a chance to play some more with these tonight and I'll report back on what I find (the difference in dome height really is minimal...the entire selection of discs were within 1/8" of each other dome-wise).

Latest posts