• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

The domey x-buzzz I had wasn't squirrely at all, wasn't very buzzz-like though, but still a very nice disc.

Monocacy said:
Over on the Fall Flight Chart Update thread, Blake stated about the Axis:

overall i thought they pretty much threw like a domey buzzz.
I used to throw Buzzzes - flat Zs, flat Glow Zs, and flat Ds. All flew similarly at my distance, with the D Buzzz getting less stable over time.

I had a domey X Buzzz once, and it was a totally different disc in looks, feel, and flight - very squirrelly and I hated it. Maybe there is a trick to throwing a domey X Buzzz, but I lost interest way before figuring it out.

The idea that Axis = domey Buzzz is not appealing. What am I missing?

FWIW I don't find the Axis much like a domey Buzzz overall. For me domey Buzzzes always had more turn and fade than the flat Buzzzes. Perhaps he was just talking about flat flights where the domey Buzzz has a little more fade than the flat ones as does the Axis. I think they were just throwing in the field as well, so I don't know if that comparison is based off diffrerent lines...Domey Buzzz doesn't hold the hyzers and anhyzers that the Axis does.

Yeah that's the flight my X-buzzz had as well, and what I've read about the axis here they don't sound THAT much alike that I'd call it a "pretty much like a domey buzzz".

turso said:
Yeah that's the flight my X-buzzz had as well, and what I've read about the axis here they don't sound THAT much alike that I'd call it a "pretty much like a domey buzzz".

That statement holds about as true as flight ratings...Good for general comparison, but not so useful in describing what a disc is capable on the course specifically imo.

I used my x-buzzz, it's not domey, a lot earlier this year. After a couple months in the woods, it lost a little HSS and a little more LSS and was great. A few months later it became a turnover disc so I bought a z-buzzz with hopes that I could beat it into that straightish slot and have it stay there longer. The problem that got me interested in finding another stable mid is the z-buzzz replacement I picked up is 5-10% shorter than my x-buzzz and its not that much longer than my z-comet although more forgiving.

It reads like the Axis might have that extra distance I lost replacing zbuzzz for xbuzzz... yes/no?

I'd be interested to hear jubuttib and Turso or anyone else comparing Prodiscus's new Midari to the Axis before I open my paypal again. Thanks

I'm going to take flaming darts for this... but I've never read a "Blake's description of this disc is..." and agreed with it. Ever.

Ok, the "ever" might be some excaggeration but it's not frequent where I read his analysis and go "yeah, that's how it flew."

Jeronimo said:
I'm going to take flaming darts for this... but I've never read a "Blake's description of this disc is..." and agreed with it. Ever.

Ok, the "ever" might be some excaggeration but it's not frequent where I read his analysis and go "yeah, that's how it flew."

Yeah, many of the descriptions seem off to me as well.

7ontheline said:
I'd be interested to hear jubuttib and Turso or anyone else comparing Prodiscus's new Midari to the Axis before I open my paypal again. Thanks
I don't think we'll be getting an Axis to try out in a few weeks, but I'm willing to take a preliminary punt: The Basic MIDARis stability approximates the D-MD2 (starts off straight and beats to understable) and the Premium MIDARIs stability approximates the C-MD2 (stable to slightly overstable). MIDARi is faster and has less glide than the MD2. So judging by what I've heard so far of the Axis, I'll wager that the MIDARi will fade more, fly faster and be less glidey than the Axis. So they're not really that comparable to each other.

What's the "proper" level of dome for an Axis? I got two in the mail today. My pink 180 has a lot of dome to it. My 178 green arrived flat as a board because of shipping. After a little hot water, it has gone back to having a slight bit of dome, but not like the pink. Is there a consensus yet on what ammount of dome is ideal for these? I haven't gotten outside to throw these yet so I don't know which I'll like better.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm still interested in testing the Axis, so I'll resume gently harassing the MVP folks to produce some in the mid-160s. As I am sure they know from reading the threads here and elsewhere, I'm not the only one holding out for a light Axis or four.

ForeverBlue232 said:
What's the "proper" level of dome for an Axis? I got two in the mail today. My pink 180 has a lot of dome to it. My 178 green arrived flat as a board because of shipping. After a little hot water, it has gone back to having a slight bit of dome, but not like the pink. Is there a consensus yet on what ammount of dome is ideal for these? I haven't gotten outside to throw these yet so I don't know which I'll like better.
Pinks were a mishap and were corrected as soon as it was spotted. Small dome is the norm.

ForeverBlue232 said:
Hard to put it in words, but its closer to a small dome. In my hands it feels closer to flat. Mike Cs video was a good demonstration up close that shows the approximate representation :

I just got back home from a little throwing practice at a new local course. I have to admit that my first impressions of the Axis are disappointing, for me. When I tried to throw a teeshot flat with it, it would turn and burn quickly. It didn't seem to have much glide. After a few throws I started taking a little off my throw, and putting more air under it. That helped out some. It seemed my best throws were where I threw with a little hyzer, released a tad early so that it started out a little to the left (RHBH), and put a little air under it. Then it would flip to flat, then turn a little, then straighten out for a shot that from teebox to landing spot, was straight. Even on that flight, I thought it seemed to lack glide, but it did seem to get there much faster than I anticipated. Maybe the speed is just making it look like it's not gliding as much? I would definitely put this disc on the fast end of midranges. To me, it seemed like I was not getting any gyro benefits. I'm kind of thinking that this is a disc that rewards good form and severely punishes bad form, which I have. I had thought the gyro would compensate for my OAT/bad form, but I think the opposite happened. Where the Axis shined for me was on stand still approach shots. There, I was finally getting some laser straight shots that I had expected from this disc. So if nothing else, I think the Axis will knock the CryZtal Buzzz out of my bag, as straight approaches were what I had the Buzz in there for. I just don't see myself driving with the Axis right now. Hopefully I can figure out the Axis/my form for driving with it at some point. Right now for me, it just seems too understable. I had one shot that I threw with maybe 50-60 degrees of hyzer, and it still flipped to flat then turned quickly. To me, it flies like my Fuse from the teebox. I think for driving with a midrange, I will stick to the Pain, as that was working very well for me today, giving me some nice glidy shallow s-curves. I did not notice too much difference between the more domey pink Axis and the average domed dayglo green Axis.

I think you are onto something there Jon...I think that the Gyro may actually amplify OAT, or at least "hold the OAT that you put on it". I think this is why a lot of non-FH dominant players have some trouble throwing FH with discs like the Vector, which are very overstable if thrown clean, but gets flippy quick if wobbled. This does seem intuitive...With all the weight on the outside, if you throw the outside off axis it holds it. Chad once told me (I had thought the opposite) that putters/mids are much more gryoscopically designed than drivers in general. So it makes sense that putters and mids are more sensitive to OAT than drivers, and more gyroscopic putters/mids are more sensitive to it yet.

With the Axis being neutral, it seems like this would be even more true. This may also be why once in a while a poster has a complete opposite experience with a MVP disc than most other people.

I think MVP's discs have their own particular way of being thrown compared to other discs on the market. I know I for one wasn't impressed with the Ion when I first tried them because I did not realize this. Once I took the time to figure out that all I needed to do was put some spin, or finger spring on my putts to see them glide, I understood why they were such great putters.

The Vector I thought was a meathook when I first threw it, but that's because I was used to throwing Rocs with a slight hyzer release. Rocs respond well to that, but Vectors do not if you're looking for a straight shot. For that, they want to be thrown flat, clean and with a lot of spin. They will hold flat and penetrate forward faster and further than a Roc, and still have a predictable fade at the end. Once I figured this out, I saw Vectors glide, which is something some people don't seem to be getting out of them.

Supports my guess that gyroscopic discs need spin to work their magic. And due to being more gyroscopic they're slightly harder to get spinning.

jubuttib said:
Supports my guess that gyroscopic discs need spin to work their magic. And due to being more gyroscopic they're slightly harder to get spinning.

I'll buy that. I think that's also why people have grip issues--because you have to get more spin on them than other discs, especially compared to baseline plastic discs. Fan grips are not going to work as well as power grips with MVP's discs.

I would add to jubuttib's post that once you do get them spinning they also reward you more than other discs do for the same effort.

Latest posts