• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

Interesting, there was no difference between runs from the ones we sent to PDGA and our first runs. One thing that makes me wonder is that I measured 21.7cm (same as the Vector) to the PDGA but it was approved as 21.8cm. No big deal, just an observation.

The Buzzz SS is faster and less glidey than the Axis. Overall stability is pretty similar, but I feel like the Axis has an earlier and more forward fade, where the SS fades later and pretty much dumps. The SS moves laterally quite a bit faster in flight as well.

Just got out and threw my 176, flat, clear Axis for the first time and I am kind of in love. It goes straight and just when you think it is gonna start to fade it goes straight some more. The fade on the disc is almost non existent. It actually just moves just slightly to the right (LHBH) while staying parallel to the ground and traveling forward. I haven't played a round with it in the bag yet so I am trying not to get my hopes up to much but I have to say that I am impressed with MVP. I cant wait for MVP to come out with a teebird like fairway driver.

I haven't been able to throw much since I got my axis until this last weekend, but I have to say the domey pink is growing on me despite not being what I envisioned for an axis. Right now it reminds me of a roc that has just been used enough to start losing its LSS. Practically no turn and a nice, subtle fade. I've hardly had the opportunity to use my vector.

I have had a chance to play quite a few rounds with my Axis now and get a more thorough evaluation. As the disc has broken in it has turned into almost strictly a no wind, tail wind flat to anhyzer disc. I love the glide on the disc but it is very sensitive to torque and headwinds of any kind. It is definitely staying in my bag but I think the domey pinks sound more like the disc I was hoping this one would be.

So my new flat, red glow Axis is officially the straightest disc I've ever thrown. Throw after throw I'm able to toss it anywhere from 80-380' and have it just go dead straight. I've never had a disc that I can throw 10 times at ~350' and have it fade off the line less than 5 feet every single time with 0 turn, it's just ridiculous how accurate this disc is. It glides out so nice on a hyzer line. I've been working my glow Axis' on hyzers and haven't carried Vectors that past two days I've thrown and it's been a lot of fun.

I also noticed something about the Axis today that I've never seen on another disc. If you look on the top of the overmold there's a tiny, tiny bead. Never noticed it before but now I'm wondering if it contributes to how straight it flies.

Mike C said:
So my new flat, red glow Axis is officially the straightest disc I've ever thrown. Throw after throw I'm able to toss it anywhere from 80-380' and have it just go dead straight. I've never had a disc that I can throw 10 times at ~350' and have it fade off the line less than 5 feet every single time with 0 turn, it's just ridiculous how accurate this disc is. It glides out so nice on a hyzer line. I've been working my glow Axis' on hyzers and haven't carried Vectors that past two days I've thrown and it's been a lot of fun.

I also noticed something about the Axis today that I've never seen on another disc. If you look on the top of the overmold there's a tiny, tiny bead. Never noticed it before but now I'm wondering if it contributes to how straight it flies.

I really liked my red Eclipse Axis last night as well...It flew a little more HSS than my seasoned FR, but without as much LSS that my FR had when new.

I'm not sure what you mean about a bead on the top of the overmold...Are you talking about where the overmold meets the flight plate?

hey its tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum, the MVP bumpers! nice to see you guys again!

dicspeed you still think overstable mids are useless?

discspeed said:
I'm not sure what you mean about a bead on the top of the overmold...Are you talking about where the overmold meets the flight plate?

No, just before the two pieces meet there is a tiny little bead looking thing going around the top of the disc. Just something I hadn't noticed before, no idea if its integral to the overall design or just a by product of the way they make their discs. This photo should make it clear. I see it on FR, non FR and glow, and a slightly more subtle version on my vectors. Doesn't seem to be on my Ions.

http://i.minus.com/iyAlky7wcbipI.jpg

Mike C said:
discspeed said:

No, just before the two pieces meet there is a tiny little bead looking thing going around the top of the disc. Just something I hadn't noticed before, no idea if its integral to the overall design or just a by product of the way they make their discs. This photo should make it clear. I see it on FR, non FR and glow, and a slightly more subtle version on my vectors. Doesn't seem to be on my Ions.

http://i.minus.com/iyAlky7wcbipI.jpg

I see what you mean now...I never really noticed that before. I'll have to see what that's all about the next time I visit the factory.

jwb said:
So I can't stop flippin over my axis. Poor technique?
The flatter they are the less stable they are. But still they shouldn't be exactly flipping, just turning. Poor technique is the likely cause. The weight distribution seems to make the discs hang on to OAT more than normal discs, IONs are very sensitive to it too considering how stable they are when ripped cleanly.

jubuttib said:
The flatter they are the less stable they are. But still they shouldn't be exactly flipping, just turning. Poor technique is the likely cause. The weight distribution seems to make the discs hang on to OAT more than normal discs, IONs are very sensitive to it too considering how stable they are when ripped cleanly.

That make a lot of sense. I didnt like the Axis I bought because it broke in more understable than I wanted. It was clear with a flat flat, almost concave top. I lost it and didnt replace it (bought a Z comet). I can throw my ions about 280 with no OAT. Maybe I need to try a more domed Axis.

Jewdy said:
jubuttib said:
That make a lot of sense. I didnt like the Axis I bought because it broke in more understable than I wanted. It was clear with a flat flat, almost concave top. I lost it and didnt replace it (bought a Z comet). I can throw my ions about 280 with no OAT. Maybe I need to try a more domed Axis.
Slight dome is preferable to a big one, from what I saw the oranges most consistently had a nice medium dome in the first run (all the greens I've seen were pretty darn flat and the pinks were notoriously domey, at least a part of the batch).

Ironically my green glow was the domier, more OS of the two glows I've tested, but with the older runs what you said seems true.

Slight dome is preferable to a big one, from what I saw the oranges most consistently had a nice medium dome in the first run (all the greens I've seen were pretty darn flat and the pinks were notoriously domey, at least a part of the batch).[/quote]

I like my orange the best as well. It's the one in my bag. I ordered some glows, i'll see how they work out when i get them.

Latest posts