• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Waterproofing

Definistrated29

Birdie Member
I have seen sprays and waxes for tents and such and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried waterproofing their bag. If so: what did you use? How did it end up? How long does the waterproofing last before the next application?

put a bag through your straps. So each handle of the bag is on a different side of the bag...waterproof...from the bottom at least.

There are silicone based sprays for shoes and tents that work well. I think you put a few light coats of the spray on a clean surface. It may make the color slightly darker but it does work.

I use Camp Dry on mine and it works well. I've also used Nik Wax (the stuff used for boots and shoes).

I know someone who Line-X'd his bag himself...it's so waterproof now, even Noah would approve.

the best I have seen is actually a fishing tackle bag at Academy. Much cheaper than a golf bag and the bottom is plastic and or rubber up to about 2-3 inches up the side. They even have some with straps on them to use like a backpack. So why did I pay 120 for a backpack when 45 would have been a much better product. Makes me wonder why the mark up for disc golf?

ChUcK said:
I know someone who Line-X'd his bag himself...it's so waterproof now, even Noah would approve.

How in the hell did they do it themselves? I thought that was an expensive proprietary method.

matchu said:
the best I have seen is actually a fishing tackle bag at Academy. Much cheaper than a golf bag and the bottom is plastic and or rubber up to about 2-3 inches up the side. They even have some with straps on them to use like a backpack. So why did I pay 120 for a backpack when 45 would have been a much better product. Makes me wonder why the mark up for disc golf?

Tackle box manufactures: millions of customers, millions of dollars to be made, big companies with money to invest into product design, off-shore manufacturing.

Disc golf bag manufactures: thousands of customers, thousands of dollars to be made, small companies on shoe string budgets, some off-shore manufacturing. Since you bought a 120 dollar bag, it was probably made here.

Support companies that support disc golf.

nohr said:
ChUcK said:

How in the hell did they do it themselves? I thought that was an expensive proprietary method.

Bought a small can of (whatever the generic name is) Line-x, and slapped it all over the bottom. I think it cost like 30 bucks for the goop?

i prefer to use ziplocs or whatever for keeping stuff dry, so that I can put wet things in the bag too... if anything wet gets into a waterproof bag then everything inside gets wet too. e.g. i can carry wet towels and dry towels together in the same pocket. waterproofing the bag itself doesn't help with this.

mark12b said:
i prefer to use ziplocs or whatever for keeping stuff dry, so that I can put wet things in the bag too... if anything wet gets into a waterproof bag then everything inside gets wet too. e.g. i can carry wet towels and dry towels together in the same pocket. waterproofing the bag itself doesn't help with this.
I think the idea is to waterproof the outside of the bag, no? If you waterproof a breathable material like nylon it still lets air in/out and will dry quickly. I waterproof all my shoes with a spray I buy at Walmart and it works nicely, it would surely work on a DG bag as well.

The outside of the bag was what I was wondering about. I'm not too worried about the mixing of wet stuff inside as much as the bag getting soaked through.

[/quote]
I think the idea is to waterproof the outside of the bag, no? If you waterproof a breathable material like nylon it still lets air in/out and will dry quickly. I waterproof all my shoes with a spray I buy at Walmart and it works nicely, it would surely work on a DG bag as well.[/quote]
I use the same spray for shoes on my bag.Works well just reapply a few times just like shoes.

I was considering using a Line-X type material on the bottom of my bags, but my concern is if water seeps into the bottom of the bag during a wet round, will it dry well since the water can't escape through the bottom of the bag? That Line X tuff doesn't really breathe, does it? I don't want the bottoms of my pockets mildewing over time.

Mr. Plow said:
mark12b said:
I think the idea is to waterproof the outside of the bag, no? If you waterproof a breathable material like nylon it still lets air in/out and will dry quickly. I waterproof all my shoes with a spray I buy at Walmart and it works nicely, it would surely work on a DG bag as well.
well, yeah, i just figure if i'm putting wet stuff inside it anyway, then it doesn't make sense trying to make the bag waterproof. i never really thought about trying to keep the fabric itself from soaking up water.

mark12b said:
Mr. Plow said:
mark12b said:
well, yeah, i just figure if i'm putting wet stuff inside it anyway, then it doesn't make sense trying to make the bag waterproof. i never really thought about trying to keep the fabric itself from soaking up water.

I hadn't either til a few days ago when I started the thread, but I figured someone else must have tried it before.

I bought some spray and used it on my 13 dollar keens that I bought at the rei garage sale and its been working well so far, but I also got creative and made this for the bottom of my bag.
downsized_0112002032.jpg
downsized_0112002031.jpg

It might be hard to see because I only have my camera phone, but the blue part you can see is a poncho that I cut to fit, folded, and added grommets in order to connect it to my bag with carabiners. The other side and front are pretty much the same. This is what it looks like off of the bag.
downsized_0112002034.jpg

I have played four rounds in the snow and mud and the poncho has kept the bag clean and dry. If I don"t need it, the poncho unclips and folds up into a pretty small square. I originally wanted to make the poncho encompass the whole bag and snap together at the top for a makeshift raincoat, but the poncho I have wouldn't sew; I scrapped that idea and this is what I came up with.

I ended up going to a car parts store and seeing what kind of line-x stuff they had. They had some $9 spraycan that was supposed to work. They also had like $80 kits you could buy. I told the guy I want to waterproof my disc golf bag better. He suggested using a ruber engine spray. He said it would be lighter and more flexible than the line-x. It was like $4 a can. Once the weather gets nicer then I will experiment and post results.