• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best course in your State

Barbikes

Birdie Member
I was playing a local course (Seatac) yesterday and I came upon a retired couple in their Minnie Winnie that were on a Disc Golf vacation. They started in Vermont and had played 17 states and 3 provinces. They asked me which course was the best in Washington state. I told them Fort Steilacoom in South Tacoma.
The question got me thinking about that kind of vacation and how cool it would be to know what the top rated course is in each state.
So what do you think? What one course in your state/province would you tell a tourist is the best?

Maryland-Seneca with rockburn and ptapsco a close tie for seccond
Seneca just swooped first with its makeover from 18-27 holes.

PA-Codorus State Park

WVA- PAW PAW

VA- The grange, loriella is tits too

uNicedmeMan said:
Maryland-Seneca with rockburn and ptapsco a close tie for seccond
Seneca just swooped first with its makeover from 18-27 holes.
PA-Codorus State Park
VA- The grange, loriella is tits too

I prefer Rockburn over Seneca or Patapsco. Although I haven't played the new Seneca layout, but I haven't heard anything but praise and I plan on making the trip.

Codorus is way underrated in PA, I think because of the lack of large tournaments it lacks exposure. Definitely a close second, or even a tie, for me is Nockamixon.

And you can't beat the Grange. I think every golfer dreams of having Mike's backyard.

Hehe, good topic for feisty bar conversations!

For WA, I'd say Seatac is my fave. Steilli is good, being that there's SO much variety there, but as far as having one intended layout, Seatac reigns supreme for me. I've also heard Lucky Mud is incredible, as well as Four Mounds out in Spokane.

And as far as OR, Dom and I discussed it a bit, and though he disagrees, the best I've played there was Milo McIver (quite possibly the best course I've ever played) . I haven't played Whistler's yet, but I know the same argument goes on with OR locals that have played both.

California is really 2 states, so...

Best course in So-Cal: I'd say Lake Casitas.

Best in Nor-Cal: most likely De Laveaga (unfortunately still haven't gotten to play it :()

Wisconsin - Highbridge
Illinois - McNaughton in Pekin.
Missouri - St Louis (take ur pick, i chose Jefferson Barracks)
Indiana - Lemon Lake
Iowa - Quad Cities (take ur pick, i chose Ewing)
OOPS - DES MOINES, my mind was running the wrong area
Kansas - KC (i chose waterworks)
oops, waterworks in missouri
Michigan - Flip City
Minnesota - Kaposia - OLD Layout.
Kentucky - Bowling Green (i chose Keriakes)
Ohio - Idlewild

Ferretdance-

Rockburn and Ptap were always fighting for #1 in my mind with rockburn edging out Ptap as a result of personal preference.

Untill.....
I played the new Seneca yesterday.
it takes the cake with ease
1-27 holes
2-beautiful aesthetics
3-lots of short/mid tech holes (my favorite)

lets just say my wizards rocs and dx gazelles got alot of work!

Kentucky - Yellow Creek Park. Kereiakes is great and I love Iroquois. But Yellow Creek gives you everything those courses offer and adds water shots.

Tennessee - Sanders Ferry Park. This is a no brainer slam dunk. Great shot variety, water, beautiful scenery. You've got to love it.

garublador said:
ziggy said:
Iowa - Quad Cities (take ur pick, i chose Ewing)

Sorry to be a stickler, but Ewing is in Des Moines...unless there's also a Ewing somewhere in the QC that you're talking about.

Also, Waterworks is in Missouri, not Kansas.

NJ - Campgaw
NY - Warwick
PA - Tyler (If you don't believe me, come for the Yetter and play the C-pins) I would say Nock or Little Lehigh if they were in the ground now the same as they were for Worlds. Wasn't a big fan of Codorus...
DE - Brandywine
MD - Seneca
VA - Hawk Hollow
CT - Wickham
MA - Maple Hill
ME - Dragan Field
NC - Renaissance
SC - Winthrop

I guess that's about all I got.

bigs348 said:
PA - Tyler (If you don't believe me, come for the Yetter and play the C-pins) I would say Nock or Little Lehigh if they were in the ground now the same as they were for Worlds. Wasn't a big fan of Codorus...
Out of curiosity, can I ask why you weren't fond of Codorus?

And having only played Tyler once, in the A pins, I haven't had the chance to really see the whole course...

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
And as far as OR, Dom and I discussed it a bit, and though he disagrees, the best I've played there was Milo McIver (quite possibly the best course I've ever played) . I haven't played Whistler's yet, but I know the same argument goes on with OR locals that have played both.

In terms of Oregon, I'd have to vote for McIver, especially during the Beaver State Fling setup where they add 9 more awesome holes to make two 18's, but it only gets played twice a year.

I still have not played Codorus....

Oh, and I am saving my vote until after I play Greencastle :wink:

Jaysus said:
Oh, and I am saving my vote until after I play Greencastle :wink:
:shock: That's going to be a tall order to fill... But I'm pretty psyched about the course, and I hope it lives up to your expectations...
If you're free on Sunday afternoons we meet to work on the course @ 1:30p. I can give you the tour... PM me for details.

ferretdance03 said:
bigs348 said:
Out of curiosity, can I ask why you weren't fond of Codorus?

And having only played Tyler once, in the A pins, I haven't had the chance to really see the whole course...

Yeah, only playing the A-pins will not let you experience Tyler. You were up for the Ice Bowl, right? Play the Cs, get your ass kicked, and then you'll understand. 8) :lol:

As for Codorus...it wasn't bad, and if it was nearby I guess I would go back and play it. But being over 3 hours away, I have no inclination to return unless there was like an A-tier or something. I just thought it wasn't great. (A lot of holes, does not a good course make.) I liked the X holes for sure, and there were some solid holes on both the red and blue courses. The CC holes are what got me though. Gimmicky. We'll give you 300 feet of open fairway, and then you have to get past these 30 trees in where the basket is. You can throw a good drive, and the the approach shots basically called for a get-out-of-shit shot. Throw a forehand roller, a forehand skip, or an overhand, and maybe you'll get in there for a putt. I played those holes well, but I just thought it was kind of ridiculous. The park is beautiful, there's a lot of elevation, water, good variety, but it just didn't suit me and I wasn't a fan. One man's opinion. (I think to some degree I'd always heard how great it was, too, so I expected a lot more of it.)

MA- Maple Hill with Borderland in a semi-distant second
CT-Heroes with Wickham in a not so distant second

Played in some other states, but nothing with enough frequency to give a fav course for the state. I honestly think that right now Maple Hill is the best course in NEFA land, then Heroes, Wick, and Borderland rounding out my top four. This of course is assuming that Warwick isnt part of NEFA. Never been there but the reviews are stellar and I cant wait to check it out THIS WEEKEND!