• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best premium plastic driving putter?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Again, apologies if this has come before.

What do the great minds of DGR feel is the best putter off the tee in premium plastic right now?

TIA

While its not exactly premium, seeing as there are only two plastics, soft and firm, the VP is the best driving putter off the tee, in my opinion. It is nearly indestructible though, and I guess that makes it premium.

Haven't thrown the VP, though I've been wanting to try one out. I've been using the 11x Champ Aviar (the semi-gummy ones) as my go to driving putter of choice and have had success with it.

I'm a loner in this I'd say, but I love throwing my 167 and 175 Star Darts off the Tee. 270-280' on pretty high lines.
Lower lines 180-220 pretty easily, on nearly any line you want it to be on. It's stable enough not to flip over, but throw it on an anhyzer and it'll hold it. I use it on a 180' hole that has to have a straight flight with a very slight anhyzer to get back to the basket. I throw it anhyzer and usually pass the basket by about 10' or land right next to it.

This is the hole with my line.
n71efo.jpg

There are also several other holes I throw just hyzers on, and it'll hold the lines well instead of just flipping over.

i'm not really a fan of any premium grade putters for driving. they all end up getting kind of squirrely when they break in or have weird stability quirks from the get go.

a good run s wizard or kc aviar should last at least a couple of hundred rounds. it took 1500 rounds for me to retire my first driving wizard because it stopped fading (it still wouldn't turn without forcing it over).

I use M Voodoos. They're tough as hell.

But to answer the question directly, I think the best premium plastic putter-driver is the ESP Banger-GT. They fly like a mini Roc and go farther than any other putter I've thrown in any plastic. They also have a definitive fade characteristic lacking in most putters.

I'd have to put my vote in for any of gateways Soft plastic putters, they seem to be just perfect for driving and long upshots, the wizards are my personal favorites, good for anything inside 280 or so for me.

I've been driving w/ Champ 11x KC Aviars and they've stopped holding a hyzer - they'll instead flip up to flat even from a pretty extreme hyzer angle. They aren't even all that broken in. So, my recommendation is not to look for one of those.

The KC Pro Aviar seems to be more willing to hold the line.

I used to throw Star Rhynos and can't remember why I stopped - they are the business.

There is no beating the vp, and it is definitely prmium plastic. It will
fly the same for damn near ever. If you want a putter that you can seriosly nut on with no worries about it going right and not coming back, it is the VP baby!

VP

peppermack said:
There is no beating the vp, and it is definitely prmium plastic. It will
fly the same for damn near ever. If you want a putter that you can seriosly nut on with no worries about it going right and not coming back, it is the VP baby!

VP
Surprise

Probably the stiffer S Wizards. While I've beaten one that is guaranteed to turn right at 125ft on a 250 huk, they are generally slow to change their line as they take on dings.

My VP showed promise in flight, but a fit/grip mismatch caused aim problems, so it's on the block cheap.

Zero Pure is fine for dead straight in low wind, and I've never tried the Grip.

If you want premium so it handles lots of tree bashing, the Beaver flies a lot like a Wizard, but is prob too soft in your summers, and only is freaking green.

blueandgray said:
I've been driving w/ Champ 11x KC Aviars and they've stopped holding a hyzer - they'll instead flip up to flat even from a pretty extreme hyzer angle. They aren't even all that broken in. So, my recommendation is not to look for one of those.

The KC Pro Aviar seems to be more willing to hold the line.

I used to throw Star Rhynos and can't remember why I stopped - they are the business.
I'll take those 11x Champ Aviars off your hands.

Due to this thread, I will be trying a VP. I have always wanted to try one and am trying to abandon throwing OOP print discs anyway.

The ESP Zone is a great driving putter, but only if you need a meathook hyzer shot.

Champion Rhyno. Great stable putter that can take a hard throw and not flip. Not a ton of glide, but it does what it's supposed to. It isn't too affected by breezes near the basket either.