• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Bag Respect

Forehander

I've been playing dg for around 6 years now, probably only about 3 seriously. I don't know if I'm just generalizing here but it seems to me like having a big bag always lends to people respecting me more on the dg courses.

a couple of examples:
last march i played my first collegiate dg event, and at that time all I had was a six disc Nutsac. My teammates and I were literally the only ones there without tournament sized bags. the entire warm up round we received strange looks from other teams, and at one point some guy even had the gall to walk right up to me, look me up and down, and then laugh and walk off. between this event and the actually National collegiate championship our coach secured 6 tournament bags from F.A.D.E. . upon arriving no one seemed to question whether we were legitimate discgolfers or give us strange looks.

secondly, I play a lot by myself because my schedule doesn't allow me to be out on the dg course for a long period of time. I play fairly quickly, and often i don't want to lug around my tournament bag with all 20 discs, so Ill either take the nutsac or just play a round with a good mid. More often than not,when i just have a few discs, upon coming up on a larger group of Disc golfers (all with tourney bags) I get ignored and they don't ever ask me to play through, even to the point of me standing at the teebox right behind as they all tee off. Yet, when i decide to bring along my fancy F.A.D.E. bag people go out of their way to let me play on through.:\

Now, this isn't 100% of the time situation but it does seem to happen this way for me a lot! why don't people pay more attention to how good a person is throwing rather than the bag strapped to somebody's back?

Also, I'm not super informed on the etiquette but don't you usually let someone pass if they are playing faster than you?

I have had the same thing happen. I use to carry a Nutsac but have sense went to a Phenix Core bag. People think the Nutsac is just funny plus I would keep mine on me when I threw. I side arm so it wasn't a problem. Oh and people are suppose to let you go if you are going faster. They are just being dicks out on the course.

I find this to be fairly accurate in my experience. When I was just sporting a back pack with 7-10 discs I'd come up on groups and get the cold shoulder or indifferent looks as they let me play through. Now that I have my lat pro bag and a fairly nice set up people always ask me to join their groups or chat with me for a bit before I move on.

But I see the same thing in all the sports I do. I tend to approach the guys with the really nice downhill bikes when I'm at a race rather than the kid with the clapped out pos. Its always easier to relate to people that look like you do. Kinda like mimicking people motions to help make them comfortable on dates or whatever I guess.

He looked you up and and laughed? Were the goods hanging out? ;) Ha.

Sounds like someone needed an eye jammy. More or less around here, it just seems if you're playing faster/catching up to people, you will usually get asked if you want to play through. :thmbup:

I'll ask to play with them and proceed to kick ass with my [two] disc.

I often grab only 2 or 3 discs to play any 9 holer or shorter 18 hole courses. I definitely feel the stereotype as I approach serious players, and proceed to shatter the stereotype as I throw a huge anny bomb and park the hole to "Wow, I've never even thought of that line". :D It's a great game.

lol. I know some people who will kick your butt and only use a grocery bag to carry their discs.

I played with 3 discs in my first year of tournaments and kicked a lot of people's butts. I never used more than 7 discs until after about 5 years of PDGA events.

It does seem that lots of players try to look the part these days. I find it amusing.

I do the opposite. played a short little course this weekend. nothing over 230' me and the wife and kid all pulled out a putter and a mid and had at it (and the little bastard kid borrowed my comet for the round and proceeded to get an Ace. arglebargle).

There were people walking around with their huge Fade tourney bags (the same one I carry for big rounds) and one guy even was wheeling it on a cart.

It took everything I had not to laugh in their faces, it was so absurd.

This is funny. But I think the OP has a point. Some people just assume you have a clue when you are geared up. I used to have a nice shiny, expensive bass boat with a huge engine. I would travel to new lakes, and other fishermen would follow me assuming I knew where to fish. I had no clue. And my 'big' bag hasn't lowered my scores either.

You were wearing a product called a "Nut Sak." Why were you expecting respect again? :\

Carry and throw what works for you keep it simple.....(No one will make fun of you with the gay mans strap)

I do the opposite. played a short little course this weekend. nothing over 230' me and the wife and kid all pulled out a putter and a mid and had at it (and the little bastard kid borrowed my comet for the round and proceeded to get an Ace. arglebargle).

There were people walking around with their huge Fade tourney bags (the same one I carry for big rounds) and one guy even was wheeling it on a cart.

It took everything I had not to laugh in their faces, it was so absurd.

This! :D I was at my first Ace Race a couple weeks ago, that fun little event where you get two new discs and can only playing using those TWO discs. I was shocked to see how many morons/posers decided to carry their giant bags on their backs.

Carry 2 discs, stop at hole, remove giant backpack full of 20+ discs, set on ground, choose 1 of 2 dics, throw, pick up giant pack and place back on back. Repeat for 54 holes (2 sets of 27). :doh::doh::doh:

I have a FADE Tourney bag, an Innova 8-10 disc bag and my trusty Nutsac (new Coal Gray!). Most courses I tend to gear down and use the Nutsac, only need a few discs anyways and midsummer heat in Michigan will tear you up. No way I am hauling 20-25 discs on me in 95 deg heat and 110% humidity.

Fine line between looking COOL and looking a FOOL.

Baller (not!)

"I tend to approach the guys with the really nice downhill bikes when I'm at a race rather than the kid with the clapped out pos."
"I used to have a nice shiny, expensive bass boat with a huge engine. I would travel to new lakes, and other fishermen would follow me assuming I knew where to fish. I had no clue."
This is hilarious! I love the guys who have the big bag, full disc golf outfit, special shoes, etc. etc. (Nate Doss Junior) & cant throw for sh*t. And I guess it's the same for every sport. Money cant buy you skills lol!

I like to throw a two disc round every now and then. I definitely see people quietly judging.

It's always nice to rip a putter farther than can throw their driver though.

lumping people into groups is pretty stupid as well.

i carry a grip bag, i had the money and its comfortable. i play some courses that take 3+ hours to play. that means lots of water, snacks, beer, etc.

just because someone is carrying a big bag doesnt mean they are carrying a ton of discs.

and i also have no problem with people who only carry a few discs. im sure you would get the same from many others who carry "big bags".