• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

i did a mix of shaving cream and laundry detergent and got some nice lines but there is still all that filler in between the lines....and jeffs didnt seem to have that...atleast not of the same color as the waves. thats why i was beginning to wonder if he squirted down general lines and did the press on them

My thought on this is that he would create the lines on another object and then transfer them to the disc. This should give you clean well defined lines as long as you get enough height on the veins before you transfer them.

When you look at this disc here, the disc itself is white but the background has all the color and the waves stayed white for the most part. So i dont think hes dying the waves

311197_223256887805799_1441266597_n.jpg

That's what I'm saying!

Sorry if you posted that earlier lol I havent read the entire thread, just looked at pics lol

Need someway for the waves to be a shield against dye coming in contact with the disc while dying the background

maybe wave the disc, then freeze the cream mixture before dying?

Last edited:
but if you look at Jeff's stuff its not all like that. I just did a quick try with using elmers glue in the same way we have been doin the press thing and it worked ok but the lines were definately alot thinner. I think the glue thing would work for something like that disc trying to preserve the color of the disc for the waves but if u look at his other stuff the waves are distinctly a different color than the original disc

What about something thicker that the dye can't penetrate. Make veins on object, transfer to disc, place disc in dye bed, after it takes color rinse disc and peel off veins? Somebody brought up a good point thought in that whatever he was using had to be cost efficient. i.e. he wasn't using an expensive adhesive that cost 3$ per disc.

so what ur thinkin do the press, bake for the dye to take, freeze, then marble the background?

im saying, dip in the sc
freeze the sc onto the disc

while the disc is still cold, dip in the dye mixture and hopefully the frozen sc will block the dye from the disc

One last note i'll just throw out there is that a Google search for "grape smelling dye" yields results of a lot of girls talking about certain hair dye for those really bright colors.

thats a good point. Thats definitely a trademark of his brainwaves is that they smell like grape

what about this comment he made on a pic?? stencil? say whaaaaaaaat!?!?

Brainwave Disc I guess I could have just slapped the same stencil on both discs and dyed one orange and the other turquoise- but, to me, that's NOT art.

429947_199600650171423_84536542_n.jpg

I think he was doing a mix of positive and negatives among all his dyes. This is one of the reasons its so elusive to try to recreate because he really was versatile in what he was doing. If you look close at some of his pictures his veins will have picked up some colors from the surrounding dye while others the veins will have streaks of different colors.

i agree, thats why i say i think he was dying the veins, unlike that saint where it doesnt look like they were. i really dont know, and im tryin my best to figure it out

I am thinking that the last one was a situation where the aqua "body" dye bled through whatever was in place for the veins.... thoughts?