• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Possibly, after more research....

does anyone want to donate discs to be further experimented on?

And I also need help with something else, but I'm going to try to find the answer on my own before I ask you guys. :)

post a picture, and I might send you one for a test run.

Alrighty boys this product will work wonders for you,,,,, Corn Starch,,, Mixing corn starch, rit, water is the way to go. Then from there, do your soap or whatever the heck you are doing.

Alrighty boys this product will work wonders for you,,,,, Corn Starch,,, Mixing corn starch, rit, water is the way to go. Then from there, do your soap or whatever the heck you are doing.

Is there an echo in here?

i also definately think that the brain waves are done AFTER all the marbling

I'm leaning the opposite way, I think they are all done at the same time. First and foremost, he wasn't charging much to begin with, there is no way he was only charging $5 and having to dip/dye/whatever TWICE. That and the way the colors look "around" the brainwaves make me think they are all done simultaneously. I may be dead wrong, but just my thoughts.......

Flour and corn starch work similarly as thickening agents in cooking, not sure why it would be much different in dyeing

I am taking a new different approach this weekend as well. I think a light bulb may have just went off. Details by Sunday.............. =-)

I am taking a new different approach this weekend as well. I think a light bulb may have just went off. Details by Sunday.............. =-)

You'll def. live up to your name when you finally get it. :hfive:

I'd like to toss around some ideas if you guys would'nt mind humoring them.

First, to the flour and cornstarch thing. Flour is often used as a thickener but with butter, this is called a roux. Cornstarch has much more thickening power and is often used with other liquids such as water, this is called a slurry. Cornstarch mixed with cold water will thicken very well but generally is more stable after being brought up to a boil with whatever you're trying to thicken. There is also a product called clear gel or sure gel, this is a modified cornstarch that is used in pies and deserts because it isn't cloudy, considered more stable and often doesn't require heating. I would avoid flour and test with heated cornstarch or unheated clear gel.

Another thing I've noticed about jeff's dyes are that as of late all his dyes have the same color pallet. This leads me to believe he's not using what 99% of all disc dyers are be it rit or idye. He stated on the pdga topic that he shopped around quit a bit before choosing a product and they were mentioning all types of dyes outside of the box like leather dyes. Someone that is truly interested in recreating or at least providing a better dye to better the community should contact some dye suppliers and see if they can recommend a product.

One last note i'll just throw out there is that a Google search for "grape smelling dye" yields results of a lot of girls talking about certain hair dye for those really bright colors.

Good info rakeyohn, if what I am trying this weekend doesn't work I might hunt down some of your cleargel and give it a try. Thanks, ..........jerry

I am saying by no means that is what he was using it was just a lead. I'm just obsessed with Google and searched when I saw that. I think as a group we looked at past brainwaves and picked up on the clues we could solve this but we need to think out of the box that we are used to being in while doing dyes. I will LOL massively if it was hair dye this whole time. :popcorn:

one of the other things im wondering is do you guys think he was laying down a bed or squirting down lines? his all seem to be so clean in between but with me putting down a bed of material i have so much in between the lines

i did a mix of shaving cream and laundry detergent and got some nice lines but there is still all that filler in between the lines....and jeffs didnt seem to have that...atleast not of the same color as the waves. thats why i was beginning to wonder if he squirted down general lines and did the press on them

Latest posts