• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

fair, although regardless of context i was rolling my eyes at the way brodie chose to respond to dana. dana was responding to this tweet of brodie:

a la drew gibson at the dgpt finals a few years back

Dana is one of my favorite pro's and i would assume way more respected in this game than Brodie.

wasn't knocking you sorry if it came across that way, i was genuinely curious as to what the response was too, cause i don't do the tweeter.

context? this thread is way too long for me to search for what this is in relation too and there are way too many thread drifts, many of which i have been a part of lol

He was talking about a proposal where the top four players would be seeded and put into a match play scenario. Seemed to be of the impression that players might tank a few shots to "pick who they play".

That's when Dana made the spirit comment, and I don't understand the Ultimate world hardly at all but whenever "spirit" is brought up Brodie is not about it.

He was talking about a proposal where the top four players would be seeded and put into a match play scenario. Seemed to be of the impression that players might tank a few shots to "pick who they play".

That's when Dana made the spirit comment, and I don't understand the Ultimate world hardly at all but whenever "spirit" is brought up Brodie is not about it.

Yeah, if you lose on purpose for any reason then i have zero respect for you(not that it matters to anyone lol). those that compete at a high level should want to beat the best at their best. That's just me though

before i get blasted there are several scenarios in which i would still respect you but they don't involve it being in a high level of competition.

brodi is just questioning his spiritually rn and is going thru a pretty tough time so i get it why he doesnt want that brought into the equation

good on brodi for speaking up

Yeah, if you lose on purpose for any reason then i have zero respect for you(not that it matters to anyone lol). those that compete at a high level should want to beat the best at their best. That's just me though

before i get blasted there are several scenarios in which i would still respect you but they don't involve it being in a high level of competition.

Is giving up a few strokes for a more ideal matchup down the road not the same concept of throwing a Roc from a tee on a par 4 or laying up a putt?

Dana wasn't even necessarily disagreeing with him, just pointing out that it would be a weak move.

Is giving up a few strokes for a more ideal matchup down the road not the same concept of throwing a Roc from a tee on a par 4 or laying up a putt?

I don't play on a high level so my input doesn't really mean anything here but I don't give up strokes willingly, ever.

If the Roc is the right play on said par 4 for your game then by all means. I would personally throw a buzz :)

fair, although regardless of context i was rolling my eyes at the way brodie chose to respond to dana. dana was responding to this tweet of brodie:

a la drew gibson at the dgpt finals a few years back

Funny you should say that, Dana literally just called out Drew and said, "having literally done this before, would you tank again to avoid McBeth?" And tagged him. This could get pretty funny.

I just saw that meme on a disc golf Feedback page making fun of golfers who buy from random people with no pictures on their profile, pay paypal/ff then waiting to receive the disc they bought.

Lol, I like Brodie, but I consider disc golf to be a spiritual activity for me. If it isn't to Brodie, that's fine, but he can't tell me it isn't.

Watching a frisbee fly in the air has me feeling closer to God than any church ever did.

EDIT: Unless I'm misunderstanding what he means by "please don't bring 'spirit' into disc golf". At all the pep rallies in school they told us to have "school spirit" and support our team. We shouldn't have that kind of energy in disc golf?

Regardless of what he meant it was a boneheaded comment.

Lol, I like Brodie, but I consider disc golf to be a spiritual activity for me. If it isn't to Brodie, that's fine, but he can't tell me it isn't.

Watching a frisbee fly in the air has me feeling closer to God than any church ever did.

EDIT: Unless I'm misunderstanding what he means by "please don't bring 'spirit' into disc golf". At all the pep rallies in school they told us to have "school spirit" and support our team. We shouldn't have that kind of energy in disc golf?

Regardless of what he meant it was a boneheaded comment.

I'm not really familiar with the rules of Ultimate at all, but I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to, the first rule of the game of Ultimate is "spirit of the game" as a mostly self officiated sport, regarding fairness and integrity.

Yeah, the "spirit" is an ultimate thing.

I believe at larger ultimate tournaments it's fairly common for a spirit award to be given out? Somebody more into the ultimate scene could probably elaborate.

Couple years ago when DGPT was first starting out I vaguely remember Steve Dodge painting a picture of the events having a festival type vibe to them, and want to think there was mention of a spirit award in there too.

Disc golf can help humanity. Disc sports were born during the counter ​
culture of the 1960s. The hippy attitudes of respect, acceptance, understanding, communication, peace, honor and love are all built into our sport. Through the Spirit of the Game in Ultimate and the Spirit Award at our Pro Tour (and other) disc golf events, we are embedding the culture of disc sports.
In 2017, we will be encouraging other disc tournaments to incorporate the Spirit Award into their events as well. The DGPT will have tournament packages that will be available to events, and every tournament package will incorporate a Spirit Award. It is time to spread the culture of the disc to the next generation of discers.
The Vibram Birdie Bash events have started this process at the grassroots level, giving out thousands of Spirit Awards. Each Pro Tour event has and will continue to give out Spirit Awards at each event. Now it is time to start getting Spirit Awards to be standard practice at all disc golf events. Disc golf culture can truly help humanity and foster better communication, social interaction, and a healthier dialogue.

https://www.dgpt.com/news/a-vision-for-disc-golf-part-two-disc-culture/

Ah, never played organized ultimate (some pickup games in HS and college).

So, because the idea of "spirit" is so sacred to Ultimate it can't be associated with disc golf?

I'm legit trying to understand what he meant, but that very well could be a futile exercise. Oh well, Brodie gonna Brodie.

Ah, never played organized ultimate (some pickup games in HS and college).

So, because the idea of "spirit" is so sacred to Ultimate it can't be associated with disc golf?

I'm legit trying to understand what he meant, but that very well could be a futile exercise. Oh well, Brodie gonna Brodie.

spirit of the game means don't lose on purpose to get a higher seed in a match play event.

I understand what it means but i can't articulate the explanation.

"you play to win the game"

Herm Edwards

Right, 100% get that and agree with it.

Just trying to suss out why Brodie doesn't want it brought into disc golf... But I'm done putting any mental energy towards the subject for now.

I'd assume that at the level he was competing in ultimate people who were all about the spirit were not well received.

That's totally how I'm perceiving it though, can't speak with firsthand knowledge.

Right, 100% get that and agree with it.

Just trying to suss out why Brodie doesn't want it brought into disc golf... But I'm done putting any mental energy towards the subject for now.

Brodie is a moron. He talks just to talk. We all need to put less energy towards the subject and he will go find another sport to talk about.

Hadn't been brought up, so below is straight from the pdga Competition Manual. The idea of "not bringing spirit into disc golf" is nonsense. I don't know if that's what he really said or meant but if so it's nonsense considering we play an unofficiated game.

The Spirit of the Game

Disc golf is typically played without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the player to show sportsmanship, integrity, consideration for other players, and to abide by the Rules of Play. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. Make the call. Accept the call. It's not personal; it's the rules. That is the spirit of the game of disc golf.

Latest posts