• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Yeah, the "spirit" is an ultimate thing.

I believe at larger ultimate tournaments it's fairly common for a spirit award to be given out? Somebody more into the ultimate scene could probably elaborate.

Couple years ago when DGPT was first starting out I vaguely remember Steve Dodge painting a picture of the events having a festival type vibe to them, and want to think there was mention of a spirit award in there too.

The Vibram Birdie Bash, which was also a Steve Dodge thing, had a spirt award too.

Hadn't been brought up, so below is straight from the pdga Competition Manual. The idea of "not bringing spirit into disc golf" is nonsense. I don't know if that's what he really said or meant but if so it's nonsense considering we play an unofficiated game.

this is a good reminder for me to be more explicit with my posts and actually say what I mean instead of leaving it up for people to infer. because this is what I was definitely getting at and was thinking "... why'd you post this when I already basically did?" only to look back and realize I did nothing even close to that. d'oh!

somebody recently learned about marksmen baskets:
Should the size of the baskets change?

Ah, never played organized ultimate (some pickup games in HS and college).

So, because the idea of "spirit" is so sacred to Ultimate it can't be associated with disc golf?

I'm legit trying to understand what he meant, but that very well could be a futile exercise. Oh well, Brodie gonna Brodie.
Right, 100% get that and agree with it.

Just trying to suss out why Brodie doesn't want it brought into disc golf... But I'm done putting any mental energy towards the subject for now.
Hadn't been brought up, so below is straight from the pdga Competition Manual. The idea of "not bringing spirit into disc golf" is nonsense. I don't know if that's what he really said or meant but if so it's nonsense considering we play an unofficiated game.

The Spirit of the Game

Disc golf is typically played without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the player to show sportsmanship, integrity, consideration for other players, and to abide by the Rules of Play. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. Make the call. Accept the call. It's not personal; it's the rules. That is the spirit of the game of disc golf.
Think that what TheCandyDan is getting at is what Brodie was referring to. There are a lot of ultimate players who are not fans of the unofficiated status of many of the sport's most important competitions. That was one of the big things about Major League Ultimate and the American Ultimate Disc League - that they incorporated officials, and over time have tried to move to improve the systems (for example: the AUDL moving from independent local officials toward centralized training and development of a core group of officials).

I'm guessing more than anything Brodie is referring to the idea that disc golf needs to move away from "spirit of the game" style self-officiating.

I could be wrong though - its entirely possible he's more against the more general idea of the "spirit" awards and the focus on fun over/on par with competition, instead choosing to push for a more personal belief in the idea that competition-itself-is-the-fun and that that should be the focus of the pro tour?

Lol, I like Brodie, but I consider disc golf to be a spiritual activity for me. If it isn't to Brodie, that's fine, but he can't tell me it isn't.

Watching a frisbee fly in the air has me feeling closer to God than any church ever did.

EDIT: Unless I'm misunderstanding what he means by "please don't bring 'spirit' into disc golf". At all the pep rallies in school they told us to have "school spirit" and support our team. We shouldn't have that kind of energy in disc golf?

Regardless of what he meant it was a boneheaded comment.

Were you the kind of person that enjoyed pep rallies? You and I must have fundamentally different understandings of the universe. They were nightmares.

This is one of the things that keeps the internet fun and entertaining...

No one is exactly sure what the angle of spirit is for Brodie, but we might as well all try and be experts on it!

Good news is the season is just around the corner. Can't wait to see some tournament results and footage!

Think that what TheCandyDan is getting at is what Brodie was referring to. There are a lot of ultimate players who are not fans of the unofficiated status of many of the sport's most important competitions. That was one of the big things about Major League Ultimate and the American Ultimate Disc League - that they incorporated officials, and over time have tried to move to improve the systems (for example: the AUDL moving from independent local officials toward centralized training and development of a core group of officials).

I'm guessing more than anything Brodie is referring to the idea that disc golf needs to move away from "spirit of the game" style self-officiating.

I could be wrong though - its entirely possible he's more against the more general idea of the "spirit" awards and the focus on fun over/on par with competition, instead choosing to push for a more personal belief in the idea that competition-itself-is-the-fun and that that should be the focus of the pro tour?

Yes, totally agree. Brodie was more making a light-hearted comment about the silliness of Ultimate that is the "spirit of the game." That rule is well-intentioned but doesn't account for the fact that there are (insert your favorite derogatory term here) in every sport, including ultimate, who will take advantage of the rules at any cost. I did that for a while, realized how ridiculous it was, and stopped.

It's ironic how all the people on here are hating on Brodie for making a light-hearted comment, but not long ago people in this thread were telling Brodie to not take things too seriously. Dude can't get a break.

Yes, totally agree. Brodie was more making a light-hearted comment about the silliness of Ultimate that is the "spirit of the game." That rule is well-intentioned but doesn't account for the fact that there are (insert your favorite derogatory term here) in every sport, including ultimate, who will take advantage of the rules at any cost. I did that for a while, realized how ridiculous it was, and stopped.

It's ironic how all the people on here are hating on Brodie for making a light-hearted comment, but not long ago people in this thread were telling Brodie to not take things too seriously. Dude can't get a break.
The coach/captain of the team the last year I played ultimate played the game like James Harden plays basketball. If the stall count was running out on him he'd intentionally rip a throw so that his arm would go through the guy marking him, call a foul, and reset the count. And he insisted on the rest of the team playing that way as well. I'd rather chase someone that's 6'3 around the field than mark a handler who does that all game long.

That said - I don't know if I'd totally call Brodie's comment lighthearted. It sounds like he legit has problems with spirit-of-the-game and is looking to avoid disc golf going/staying in that direction. I'm sure it wasn't the most serious thing he'd said all day, and it was in a casual tone, but it was a clear message about where he wants the game to go.

It sounds like he legit has problems with spirit-of-the-game and is looking to avoid disc golf going/staying in that direction. I'm sure it wasn't the most serious thing he'd said all day, and it was in a casual tone, but it was a clear message about where he wants the game to go.

From talking to people who played ultimate against him I have gotten the distinct impression that he and his teams tended to not be the pinnacles of sportsmanship.

From talking to people who played ultimate against him I have gotten the distinct impression that he and his teams tended to not be the pinnacles of sportsmanship.

I play with a golfer that was a player and coach of ultimate on top level teams against Brodie. He relayed a similar sentiment. And he impressed it was a team thing, not just a Brodie thing.

The coach/captain of the team the last year I played ultimate played the game like James Harden plays basketball. If the stall count was running out on him he'd intentionally rip a throw so that his arm would go through the guy marking him, call a foul, and reset the count. And he insisted on the rest of the team playing that way as well. I'd rather chase someone that's 6'3 around the field than mark a handler who does that all game long.

That said - I don't know if I'd totally call Brodie's comment lighthearted. It sounds like he legit has problems with spirit-of-the-game and is looking to avoid disc golf going/staying in that direction. I'm sure it wasn't the most serious thing he'd said all day, and it was in a casual tone, but it was a clear message about where he wants the game to go.

Yeah I get that there is some kind of truth behind most jokes/lighthearted comments. But from what I've seen, he wasn't jumping in and making an argument.

On another note, his disagreement with the "spirit of the game" seems to indicate that he knows his teams pushed the rules. Am I reading the situation wrong? Seems like either he realized it then but his team kept exploiting a loophole while he was trying to close it, or he realized it after he stopped and wants to get rid of it.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think we should be as critical of people. I've seen time and time again on here how people say things based on untrue assumptions, and they've been wrong. I'm not for or against Brodie; I simply want to give him a fair shot. In general, if you're being critical of someone, be critical of yourself first. (I'm not pointing the finger at someone in particular, I'm pointing it at everyone, including me).

In general, if you're being critical of someone, be critical of yourself first. (I'm not pointing the finger at someone in particular, I'm pointing it at everyone, including me).
Cool. But this doesn't necessarily state that you can't be critical of someone. In general - I don't necessarily think Brodie's ideas are always bad. They're just poorly thought out. He doesn't do the best job thinking through what he says or how he presents things.

Off topic, lol, Brodie seems to be throwing the disc better. I'm eager to see how that translates at some of these events.

His form off the tee still looks a bit muscled, not fluid, but the dude's short game is 100% on point. If he can get decent drives off the tee I think he could break the top 20 in some DGPT events.

Straight from the USA Ultimate website:

"A truly unique and defining element of ultimate, Spirit of the Game places the responsibility of fair play solely on the athletes themselves by requiring each player to know the rules and make their own calls, without the help of a neutral official. These underlying principles reinforce mutual respect and trust between opponents; communication and conflict resolution skills; and self confidence – both on and off the field of play."

I played against those Florida dudes for many years and caught some of the shenanigans from the Brodie teams at the end of my career. That SoG thing went right out the window when we were between the lines. There seemed to be little intent to follow the rules, much less upholding the SoG, when we played them in games without Observers. It was barely better even when the Observers were on the field, but the egregious calls would get overturned. The catalyst of the antagonistic BS and the absolutely horrible calls seemed to be emanating from one particular member of the team, and I'll leave it at that. Dude could straight-out ball, that's for sure.

Cool. But this doesn't necessarily state that you can't be critical of someone. In general - I don't necessarily think Brodie's ideas are always bad. They're just poorly thought out. He doesn't do the best job thinking through what he says or how he presents things.

From my experience, most people don't. Isn't that what social media is for, so people can publicly show their stupidity?

From my experience, most people don't. Isn't that what social media is for, so people can publicly show their stupidity?
In this particular case - Brodie has chosen to earn his livelihood living a very public life. He is selling his thought processes, his ideas, etc. for public consumption. I agree - most people don't through their ideas. And so Brodie, through his choice of livelihood, provides a fine example for us to consume and critique.

Latest posts