• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

So their thinking is more "Get off my lawn!" than
"A rising tide lifts all boats" huh?

maybe it will force some of the players to actually be creative with their content instead of just posting practice rounds every event. The way Uli did his solo practice/course strategy video last week was fantastic, there needs to be more of that and less of "watch me throw this shot until I figure it out" type videos

Jomez practice rounds are super entertaining because it's way more relatable to going to the course with your buddies and trash talking

I'm sure it's been a long time coming, but it kind of seems like a response to Paul posting his Doubles round w/Brodie on the Fountain Hills temp course. Viewers were able to watch the format, the course, and the winner all on his channel without subscribing to DGPT. It seems like less of a money grab (nobody is going to pay the 5k to film a practice round) and more of a way to increase viewership to the actual event.

I'm sure it's been a long time coming, but it kind of seems like a response to Paul posting his Doubles round w/Brodie on the Fountain Hills temp course. Viewers were able to watch the format, the course, and the winner all on his channel without subscribing to DGPT. It seems like less of a money grab (nobody is going to pay the 5k to film a practice round) and more of a way to increase viewership to the actual event.

Genuine questions here.

The Fountain Hills event was a DGPT event. So would Innova (or any manufacturer) have anything to say about who films and who doesn't?

What is the timeframe for these Innova fees? Does the fee just apply to anyone filming and posting tournament rounds? Or does it apply to the course just the week of the tournament?

Thanks.

Fountain is always packed with people too, so is Innova or whoever going to lawyer up if a random person sees what's going on and films it? Would the TD call the cops to stop it?
Lot of murky areas here, without any real way to enforce any of it except among their own players...which seems to defeat the purpose. For example, having Paul do a practice round with Ricky would get a zillion views on Ricky's channel.

Glad this is happening.

The fact that these players think they can just film whatever they want and put it on their youtube channels or whatever is ridiculous.

This is one of those "you want bigger purses more attention and more money, well, here we are" type things.

Could you elaborate on why that is ridiculous?

Fountain is always packed with people too, so is Innova or whoever going to lawyer up if a random person sees what's going on and films it? Would the TD call the cops to stop it?
Lot of murky areas here, without any real way to enforce any of it except among their own players...which seems to defeat the purpose. For example, having Paul do a practice round with Ricky would get a zillion views on Ricky's channel.

Only on social media. :\

If you think anything you asked are real concerns then black list Innova and DGPT. :rolleyes:

If/when they would see a top pro on youtube they would most probably react if this is real.

Could you elaborate on why that is ridiculous?

Disc golf is either in a public park, which generally requires a permit to make a film (and let's be honest, that's basically what is happening) or on private property, which means the owner can say no.

It's just an entitlement issue. The people outside of the top 10 really have to be creative to make touring life financially possible, so I get why thy are doing it. But they don't think about the other side.

I think it's brilliant for Innova, an Innova sponsored event, to enact this policy.

You mean Fountain Hills? That's a public park. Wildhorse is a private country club. Not sure exactly what the correlation is here?

Again, this isn't a new thing, Innova has been protecting media rights at both LVC and USDGC for the last few years.

I really do not understand what the heck is going on now. Someone have a Cliff Notes version with all the pertinent details?

Innova said no one except innova players could film practice rounds unless they paid $5,0000.
hannah mcbeth and brodie tweeted about it.
conversation.

Debate aside, this is what The Great Carnac foretells:

The non-Innova players will do their cross-promotions and each gets a piece of the Brodie/Paul/Paige/Uli/KJUSA pie while Ricky and Calvin play practice rounds.

Which are you watching?

I really do not understand what the heck is going on now. Someone have a Cliff Notes version with all the pertinent details?

Innova charging a $5000 media fee for all non-contracted content creators or non-Innova team members to film at LVC courses this week.

Many people butthurt, mainly big name pros with youtube channels.

Also many normies butthurt (ie over on r/discgolf) and that anyone should be allowed to film whatever they want at a private club that was essentially reserved for an event by a corporate entity for a week.

Normies not realizing that Innova has been doing this for LVC and USDGC for a few years now, but it's a big deal because Brodie and Hannah complained.

Which are you watching?

somewhere between all of them, or none of them - depends on how bored I get. None of that is 'must watch' in my book

Innova charging a $5000 media fee for all non-contracted content creators or non-Innova team members to film..

Normies not realizing that Innova has been doing this for LVC and USDGC for a few years now,

So did Dickerson's wife pay $5k to be a 'media member' at the USDGC last year? :D:D:D

Disc golf is either in a public park, which generally requires a permit to make a film (and let's be honest, that's basically what is happening) or on private property, which means the owner can say no.

It's just an entitlement issue. The people outside of the top 10 really have to be creative to make touring life financially possible, so I get why thy are doing it. But they don't think about the other side.

I think it's brilliant for Innova, an Innova sponsored event, to enact this policy.

You must be leaving things out of your argument, or your argument is not very compelling.

Didn't this come up in regards to the "what do you make/is it anyone's business" thread?

The power in disc golf comes from the players, not from the guys molding plastic.

Seems like a fair fight. I'm excited to see what workarounds the players will use. The best part about freedom of association is that if a big group of players find this policy too detrimental, they will skip these types of tournaments in the future and play in others that allow content creation prior to the event.

Or they film anyways and challenge Innovas rule to enforce it. If a bunch of players said screw it I'm filming anyways what is Innova going to do? Kick them out from playing there? Then they are hurting their own tourney.

Honestly if I'm Hannah/Paul and Brodie I just film anyways and see what they do. You're not banning Paul from playing in your event are you? You should be PAYING him to show up!

Latest posts