• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Didn't this come up in regards to the "what do you make/is it anyone's business" thread?

The power in disc golf comes from the players, not from the guys molding plastic.

The guys molding plastic are the sponsors. How could the players do anything without the sponsorships from the "guys molding plastic"?

Or they film anyways and challenge Innovas rule to enforce it. If a bunch of players said screw it I'm filming anyways what is Innova going to do? Kick them out from playing there? Then they are hurting their own tourney.

Honestly if I'm Hannah/Paul and Brodie I just film anyways and see what they do. You're not banning Paul from playing in your event are you? You should be PAYING him to show up!

That would be an incredibly tacky thing for the McBeths to do and I think (and hope) that such disrespectful behavior would be beneath them.

I don't think charging them a fee is necessarily a bad thing... but...

5k is just utterly ridiculous. How many DG vids have gotten enough views to generate 5k in revenue?...

It's 0 in case you didn't know.... I think its something like $1200 per MILLION views, and iirc CCDG's Philo vid is the only one that has gotten even remotely close.

5k is just utterly ridiculous. How many DG vids have gotten enough views to generate 5k in revenue?...

It's 0 in case you didn't know.... I think its something like $1200 per MILLION views, and iirc CCDG's Philo vid is the only one that has gotten even remotely close.

They won't obviously. The $5k is merely to prevent the filming i the first place. They clearly don't expect anyone to pony up that many deneros.

Didn't this come up in regards to the "what do you make/is it anyone's business" thread?

The power in disc golf comes from the players, not from the guys molding plastic.

Considering I can play without the pros, but I can't unless I have discs, I'd say you have this backwards.

Their revenue is from disc sales, bag sales, t-shirt sales, etc.
Youtube is how they MARKET themselves. Do you think Nike makes money when they are the official shoe sponsor of the NFL? No they spend a **** ton and give out a **** ton of free shoes, in hopes that little Billy will convince his mom to buy him those shoes.

Innova's $5,000 fee could be recouped many ways, disc sales, bag sales, whale sacs...

So did Dickerson's wife pay $5k to be a 'media member' at the USDGC last year? :D:D:D

She was a legit media member with legit media credentials. Maybe they had to pay, maybe they had to meet certain criteria, I dunno.

Considering I can play without the pros, but I can't unless I have discs, I'd say you have this backwards.

Someone who doesn't charge $5k to film 'their guys' would just make the discs. If you fail to change the change will still happen.

I'm not debating anything, I'm saying someone will make discs and we will buy them. If your business decisions fail to keep up with how that is done, you become Blockbuster - no one stopped making movies or watching them.

The Discraft bros could just pay the 5k, play the course together and put the same video on all their channels. No biggie.

Someone who doesn't charge $5k to film 'their guys' would just make the discs. If you fail to change the change will still happen.

I'm not debating anything, I'm saying someone will make discs and we will buy them. If your business decisions fail to keep up with how that is done, you become Blockbuster - no one stopped making movies or watching them.

Are you arguing that Innova will go out of business because of this? I'm trying to understand your point here.

They're not charging $5K to film their guys, they're charging $5K to film at their event.

The Discraft bros could just pay the 5k, play the course together and put the same video on all their channels. No biggie.

Pretty sure if McBeth can afford a McClaren I'm going to bet he can poop out $5k if he wants to bad enough...

Now I would like to point out I am not 100% sure Brodie or Hanna are really complaining about the $5k but merely just explaining to their fans why they aren't filming there. I read Hanna's tweet as, "Hey this is why we aren't doing what we normally do so what do you peeps want to see?" and then Brodies retweet was along the line of, "discuss this topic."

I think that is based on it only being a 1 minute vid. Looking at my measly adsense revenue, I could potentially recoup 5K with a million views (in a fantasy world) and that is just based off my average 6 min vid. Practice rounds are much longer and can generate more revenue with more ads.

Brodie is the only one who could pull that off since he has over 2 million subs, he already got 100K views in 5 days on his last one with Paul at the all star practice. He has 80 vids with over 1 million views, his top is 68 million. His only 2 disc golf related vids with over 1 million are old trick shots with Avery and Simon, got 4 and 2.5 million. His top dg only vid is his first DGPT round with about 600K.

Simon's top vid has almost 600K, most are closer to 100K.

Jomez has 5 vids with over 1 million, most are closer to 200K.

CCDG has 1 vid with over 1 million (Philo), most are closer to 100K.

My top vid has 35K, most are closer to 5K.

I'm trying to understand your point here.

My points are:
1. Innova seems to be stuck in an outdated way of thinking when it comes to monetizing their product.
2. YouTubers working together is what will bring more money by bringing more eyeballs to their product, not making things more 'exclusive' so fewer people will see what you are offering.
3. Cross-promoting among players will never make any viewer unsubscribe to anyone's channel. In fact, the opposite is true.

Innova will probably always be Nike of our little game, but they also seem to be late to the party on a lot of the changes that have taken place over the last decade.
- Swirly star, shimmer and other methods of making discs beautiful. I gave away a color-changing red Lat64 Halo with gold sparkling as a CTP prize at a tourny in early 2012 and it was so beautiful the players passed it around and held it up in the sunlight. No joke, people couldn't help themselves but ooh and ahh. I didn't see anything like that from Innova for another 5 years or more.
- Players input on designing discs. Dave D will always be The Man, and he's earned that title for the rest of time in my eyes, but ya gotta listen instead of talking all the time. I think this was a big reason behind Greenwell/Wolfe and the other long-time Innova guys forming Prodigy.
- And definitely in behind in regards to social media. Rusco was really the first to jump on this and it has paid off for DD bigtime.
- Online sales. In 2011 they sent out a notice to all their dealers that you had to either be the local club or have an actual storefront to get wholesale pricing. I just started buying from SunKing at wholesale instead, was easier than dealing with Innova East even though they were only about 2 hours away.

Latest posts