• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] champ sidewinder variations

I have an old Valk and a valk from 1-2 yrs ago, SO different they are diff discs all-together. Both Star. It happens, I noticed the Viking is changed a lot too. maybe all the speed 9 discs. I also have 3 diff Firebirds , but all are Overstable, just the one max wt champ glow has a higher PLH and is the BEEEEEEFIEST

I picked up a 175g champ sidewinder on ebay and the way it seems really OS. It also seems kind of domey to me, but I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone else find a sidewinder like this?

As a side note, I have a 158g Star Valkyrie that flies almost how I would expect the Sidewinder to.

Last edited:
Yes, some are on the OS side of the spectrum.
How far are you throwing the Sidewinder or the Valk?

My most stable Sidewinders are actually mid-labeled Orion LSes and have only moderate dome.

Last edited:
Yeah, Champs will definitely act overstable at that range. I don't think yours is acting out of the ordinary.

DX would be more understable if that's what you're looking for.

I picked up a 175g champ sidewinder on ebay and the way it seems really OS. It also seems kind of domey to me, but I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone else find a sidewinder like this?

As a side note, I have a 158g Star Valkyrie that flies almost how I would expect the Sidewinder to.

Years ago I bought a champ sidewinder that flew like a firebird. It definitely wasn't a firebird by the wing. That's all I remember, no idea if it was domey or flat, sorry. Just confirming there are Sidewinder freaks out there.

My most stable Sidewinders are actually mid-labeled Orion LSes and have only moderate dome.

Do you have any more information on this? I have a flat JL Sidewinder that is quite OS. When comparing PLH with PFN Star, the Star almost fits underneath the champ.

Do you have any more information on this? I have a flat JL Sidewinder that is quite OS. When comparing PLH with PFN Star, the Star almost fits underneath the champ.
Sure thing. A picture is worth 1k words, right?
Injection molded plastic parts have unintentional artifacts that give clues about the tooling used to mold them. One of those artifacts is the parting line that I referenced when I introduced the concept of Parting Line Height so many years ago. This is a thin line that accidentally appears in the molded part because the two mold halves don't meet perfectly. The Sidewinder only has one of these parting lines while the Orion has two. Let me explain more:
If you take the Sidewinder tooling (the metal mold) and add a 1mm nose spacer in between the top and bottom mold halves then you have an Orion LS. Therefore you can see two witness lines from the nose spacer on the Orions, exaggerated here in green; one where the spacer meets the top of the Sidewinder tooling and one where the spacer meets the bottom of the Sidewinder tooling. The Sidewinder will only have one line because the top and bottom mold pieces meet without a nose spacer in between. Hopefully this makes sense.
I went into more detail than you need because I'm hoping it will help answer other peoples' questions as well.

EDIT: you might possibly have a really insanely high PLH Sidewinder, it might not be an Orion. Or it might be something else misstamped as a Sidewinder, who knows. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out!
15823314_1335976359807768_2960871897013981081_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks like my "Sidewinder" is really an OLS.

It does look like an OLS, at least in the photo.
I think there are a lot of misstamped Sidewinders out there.
FWIW, I like the OLS better than the SW but most people who buy SWs actually want SWs. Go figure. :)

i found an old champ sw. finger printy. tourney stamp from 2009.

this mold is soooo goood. i cant believe innova altered it. it was the do it all disc. such gentle fade too. this was a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the input folks.

Was always wondering about the blue champ sidewinder that never made it into my bag because it flew like a destroyer :|.

Looks like mine is an OLS mismark. Actually sits right next to an AJ star destroyer that flies like a sidewinder:gross:

Thanks for the input folks.

Was always wondering about the blue champ sidewinder that never made it into my bag because it flew like a destroyer :|.

Looks like mine is an OLS mismark. Actually sits right next to an AJ star destroyer that flies like a sidewinder:gross:

do you have pics of the sw?

The best Sidewinder I ever threw was a first run champion (with the tiny star stamp on it). It would pop up flat and soar. It had some definite high speed turn, but wouldn't flip all the way over. The SWs these days seem to be flippier. I throw them hard and they turn and burn.

I haven't thrown the mold in a long, long time. At the time it was probably my longest driver due to the sheer amount of glide it had. 400' wasn't all that hard to do.