• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I really got into loving Comets this year after messing around with them briefly last year. Truely a thing of beauty in the air...

I am wondering if anybody uses them for rollers? I don't throw rollers, but am thinking about tryng it out this year. I see a lot of recommendations for Condors, but wondered if a heavy Z would work well also. I know it may be almost sacreligious to roll it rather than take advantage of that glidey flight. The only other player I have seen with a Comet said he used it for rollers (this was a couple of years ago)

(Really I am probably trying to justify buying more Comets)

I roll X-Comets. I can get mine out to about 360ft on a roller. Very easy to manage how it rolls too.

Second. I look for dome. My Comet selection ends up being a mix of plastics.

Thirded.

It's all about the dome (or rather the high shoulder). I usually throw domey 3rd run LE ESPs, but I love Xs and Zs too (in that order). Just picked up an older, unused glow Z that has the exact same profile as my ESPs, and I'm looking forward to throwing it. That will have to wait until next season though unfortunately...

Thirded.

It's all about the dome (or rather the high shoulder). I usually throw domey 3rd run LE ESPs, but I love Xs and Zs too (in that order). Just picked up an older, unused glow Z that has the exact same profile as my ESPs, and I'm looking forward to throwing it. That will have to wait until next season though unfortunately...
Fourth'd. Given a choice between Z and X, I'll go X every time, but especially when it gets colder. Z is good to have as your just-a-tick-overstable Comet. Haven't seen the new 4th run ESP's in person yet, so can't comment there.

I'll look for it later, but there's a good article on DGR about the flight effects of a disc's dome.

Last edited:
Fourth'd. Given a choice between Z and X, I'll go X every time, but especially when it gets colder. Z is good to have as your just-a-tick-overstable Comet. Haven't seen the new 4th run ESP's in person yet, so can't comment there.

I'll look for it later, but there's a good article on DGR about the flight effects of a disc's dome.

Fifth'd. Love the domey Comets. My favorites are Z's because they always have a little extra fade at the end.

I used to throw only the ones that had the little texture pad thingy on the bottom... but those are oop. So now I just look for dome and close to max weight.

Fifth'd. Love the domey Comets. My favorites are Z's because they always have a little extra fade at the end.

I used to throw only the ones that had the little texture pad thingy on the bottom... but those are oop. So now I just look for dome and close to max weight.

sixeded. :hfive:

but I use between 167-169

I roll X-Comets. I can get mine out to about 360ft on a roller. Very easy to manage how it rolls too.

Excellent. I will have to give it a shot. I have only thrown a roller once or twice, figured I should give it a shot.

It's hard to even call myself a true Comet lover since I have never thrown or owned an X :doh: All I have are Z's and 2 ESP's from the 3rd LE run. I should get one and a Glo just to round out the collection :clap:

Disc Qualities and Their Effects on Flight

Comets are wide-diameter, rounded beaded, domey mids. Cliff-noted from the article, these characteristics should affect Comets as such:

Wide-diameter means more natural fade, lower cruising speeds (and thus easier to overpower and turn-and-burn), and more glide (whatever "glide" means...).

A Comet's rounded bead gives it a slight increase is HSS and delay of fade.

Domey Comets should be easier to turn over and are more likely to flex/fade back vs. their flat counterparts and are more affected by wind.

(I'm leaving out plastic types here for simplicity's sake.)

---

I'm not how to specifically take those three traits and synthesize them into a coherent summary. My gut reaction was to type out an argument along the lines of "If Comets have those traits, why do we even throw them?" and then argue that Comets are speed- and form-sensitive, turn-over prone discs that have a delayed or non-existent fade and are hard to range because they glide so well. But I guess that argument is also part of the love/hate relationships people have with Comets and the learning curve necessary to throw them well.

Comets are speed- and form-sensitive that turn-and-burn easy. Throw one wrong, it'll tell you. They are just enough HSS to fly dead-straight and hold any line you put them on, but just make sure that you're not off or you'll end up tracking right or left. And they just keep going when they slow down, making them hard to pinpoint exactly where they're going to land. Where some see demerits, I see benefits and fantastic characteristics for a disc that is one of the best point-and-shoot mids out there.

Excellent. I will have to give it a shot. I have only thrown a roller once or twice, figured I should give it a shot.

It's hard to even call myself a true Comet lover since I have never thrown or owned an X :doh: All I have are Z's and 2 ESP's from the 3rd LE run. I should get one and a Glo just to round out the collection :clap:

Yeah man for sure get you a Elite X. It's a bit tricky to learn a Elite X as it's more sensitive to OAT.

I use both of mine for rollers,Easy Hyzerflips to Turnovers,Long Approaches or those really big Turnovers.

I carry 2 Elite X,1 ESP and 1 Elite Z. So you got Understable,Stable and Overstable. Well according to Comet flight paths. lol

Well, its settled! I will order up an X Comet next time to try out, plus I better get a Glo and probably should try the latest ESP run just to cover my bases.

Have you thrown the 3rd run to compare with this run of ESP. I thought I saw somewhere that people were saying this run was a little more understable compared to the others.

Have you thrown the 3rd run to compare with this run of ESP. I thought I saw somewhere that people were saying this run was a little more understable compared to the others.

I like the new ESP Comets better than the 3rd Runs. I never really was able to dial in the 3rd Runs, but the new ESPs seem to fly my Z, but without as much height needed. I would suggest a heavy ESP Comet.

The ESPs will break in a little quicker than the Z's and therefore are easier to get back to a sweet spot if you lose it. ;)

My 3rd run has more dome and is noticeably more hss than my stock run ESP, or any of my other Comets for that matter.

My 3rd run has more dome and is noticeably more hss than my stock run ESP, or any of my other Comets for that matter.

My 3rd run is definitely more domey than my Z's, which is what I have been using the majority of the year. I am going to have to try a new ESP and an X to get a full Comet experience, at least with the current Comets.

Got my first Comet ace this afternoon. Hit it on a hole at my home course that has gotten in my head since I started playing. Dead straight tunnel shot about 230,' slightly downhill with a low ceiling. Threw an X from a stand still and watched it float down and in.

I have completely changed my mid lineup because of the Comet. My transition from shorts and tee shirts did not go well. My form went out the window. Comets are the cure and I already had 3 so the decision was made. After a rough couple of weeks I'm playing a couple strokes better vs this summer.

There really is no other mold I have thrown that continually puts a smile on my face like a Comet.

I have completely changed my mid lineup because of the Comet. My transition from shorts and tee shirts did not go well. My form went out the window. Comets are the cure and I already had 3 so the decision was made. After a rough couple of weeks I'm playing a couple strokes better vs this summer.
Congrats on getting over the learning curve and to cutting strokes!

There really is no other mold I have thrown that continually puts a smile on my face like a Comet.

Congrats on the ace! I just had to quote this part of your post because I feel the exact same way about Comets.

Latest posts