• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Comets are weird in that so many people try them and hate them. Those of us that love them get kinda defensive about it sometimes. I've learned to sit back, let new players try and hate the Comet, then get it off them cheap in a trade. :thmbup:

I've dumped two Comets on the cheap to dudes like you. :doh:

Well played...well played.

I actually think the Buzzz and the Buzzz clones one day will kill off the Comet, Roc and all the other high-line mids. Maybe not the Roc. Discraft is not sentimental; when a disc stops selling they kill it. I think 10 years from now that low line "throw it hard" mid will be the choice of a couple of generations of players by then and the Comet will be a dinosaur. At that point it will depend on how many old guys there are around still buying them. The preference for the faster low line mids with the newer players is pretty well set at this point, though.

I hate to agree with you, but I do. I honestly think the mold will be made or broken based on the ESP production run. Now that it's no longer a "special" disc, I have a feeling they'll sit on shelves and rot, leading to Discraft moving away from it. It doesn't help at all that they molded up flatter than most seem to prefer.

If it happens, it'll be a sad disc golfing day. I think it'll pretty much mark the end of the finesse game (extreme claim, I know). I don't throw them anymore, but I think it's one of the best discs in Discraft's lineup.

Truth.

I could probably do better with a Comet now than a year ago, but I have much love for the Buzzz.

Do yourself/your game a favor and pick up an Elite-X for field work. It'll be the best $7-8 you've spent on your game. :D

I doubt it will ever be a "dinosaur". It's still the straightest mid on the market. I can't throw anything with a bead (have to change my grip), but I still have several Comets that I throw a decent bit.

Just curious, for you comet fans, have you thrown a Fuse? which is flippier? which is harder to control properly consistently?

i used to love the fuse - and i still do, actually.

in my opinion, the comet is harder to control more consistently because the fuse is consistently understable. i've beaten in my x comet to take care of that role. the fuse turns more unless you get a more stable opto or a light x (i saw a 162-163 yesterday!!!!) comet.

I really got into loving Comets this year after messing around with them briefly last year. Truely a thing of beauty in the air...

I am wondering if anybody uses them for rollers? I don't throw rollers, but am thinking about tryng it out this year. I see a lot of recommendations for Condors, but wondered if a heavy Z would work well also. I know it may be almost sacreligious to roll it rather than take advantage of that glidey flight. The only other player I have seen with a Comet said he used it for rollers (this was a couple of years ago)

(Really I am probably trying to justify buying more Comets)

I agree with Kodachrome, the fuse is understable and in my experience will turn more readily. Thrown flat the fuse will glide stright for a bit then break right (unless its a heavy opto) where the comet will hold and go perfectly straight. I like the fuse but at the end of the day I could manipulate my comet's more and throw them farther.

Over the summer I was tried out both the Comet and Fuse and ended up preferring the Comet. Although the two may fly similarly, the feels in hand are completely different and I prefer the Comet as it feels closer to a Roc. This familiarity in hand led to more consistent shots.

so do you guys like ESP most for comets? elite x pro? or doesn't really matter?
My roc is pretty straight right now, not sure I'd need a comet, but I like discs that sound like this comet.

My roc is pretty straight right now, not sure I'd need a comet, but I like discs that sound like this comet.

I used LE ESP Comets for a bit but unloaded them as I don't like relying on OOP plastic for throwers. I just picked up an Elite X Comet as even my most beat up Roc isn't flippy. The Elite X is just what I needed, flips much easier and it'll be great for field work. The plastic is somewhat rubbery which I really like.

I like mine to be heavy and Z, they start the most stable of all the variants but they break in beautifully over time! I also have an X-comet that I use for form work and turnovers. Although I will probably switch out the X comet for the current run esp's after a very helpful review by Michael Johansen in his thread.

I looooveee my 170g orange X Comet, it was the first and only DC I have ever bought and honestly for X being one of their lower level plastics, I think its durability is incredible, especially considering price. Very quickly it was a perfect turnover disc and I often use it to hit those tight wooded fairways that need some finesse to maneuver to the basket.

I like domey Comets. Plastic is inconsequential.

Over the summer I was tried out both the Comet and Fuse and ended up preferring the Comet. Although the two may fly similarly, the feels in hand are completely different and I prefer the Comet as it feels closer to a Roc. This familiarity in hand led to more consistent shots.

i bought a z comet to see if it would replace my beat understable roc and i agree the feel is a lot like a roc, maybe a tad narrower. the comet pairs nicely with my roc3's.

i bought a z comet to see if it would replace my beat understable roc and i agree the feel is a lot like a roc, maybe a tad narrower. the comet pairs nicely with my roc3's.

The feel is more consistent with domed Rocs than flat tops, but it's still not far off. I'm using a DX Roc3 for a no-fade Roc and it's getting close to overlapping. At 300', my heavy Z Comet is still less stable, and way more glide for shorter touch shots.

I got a few "what was that?" comments at winter league this weekend after throwing some frozen ropes with my Z Comet. One guy claimed he had "too much arm speed" to throw them. :doh:

i remember when i first started. i hated the mako because it showed my bad form. i thought i had too much arm for it. now that i know better i just couldnt throw it worth a damm. i just bought a comet from the MP and am hoping to do some field work with it. see how i have improved. im getting my other mids to 275-300 ish. i wanna see if i can throw a comet on a frozen rope that far

I believe the Comet feels narrower than the Roc because the Comet has a slightly larger diameter. Per PDGA specs the the rim thickness of the Roc and Comet are the same.

Latest posts