• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

When fresh, they will fly dead straight on a flat release. Essentially, it will follow whatever release angle you set. When they wear, X faster than ESP faster than Z, they will develop a little turn and you'll need to throw with some hyzer to flatten and get that dead straight flight.

Also depends on how far you are trying to throw them. But yes, fresh x is very neutral. I can still throw my 166-168 x comet straight out to 250 or so and it has had some beatings as well as a puddle top.

My X is my oldest Comet and has taken a bit of beating, the ESPs are all pretty fresh.

Distance goals would be 250-275ft, which I can hit, but I'm more interested in really getting a clean throw and hitting my line.

If I power down my throws to the 200-220' range I can get a straight flight on a flat release, but for distance shots I almost get a bit of turn unless I release on the slight hyzer I mentioned.

In comparison I can consistently get my Z Buzzzs out to 300-325ft with a straight flight on a flat release.

Also depends on how far you are trying to throw them. But yes, fresh x is very neutral. I can still throw my 166-168 x comet straight out to 250 or so and it has had some beatings as well as a puddle top.

interesting

I have two z comets and one turns worse than the other

interesting

I have two z comets and one turns worse than the other

i have a flippy POS z comet as well. sad i ever bought it. i bought a nicely domed glow Z, and it acts like everyone was saying it should.

my heavy x is straight with fade but i don't use it. heavy/domed up z for that.

i keep my light x and light ESP for hyzerflips and touch shots/partial hyzerflips on hyzer lines for long gradual hyzers so i don't end up fading too much to the left.

anything, really, haha. i don't use my Z that much; the light x is just such a jack of all trades. if i want to throw straight and hard or hard on a pure hyzer, that's when the z comes out. it's just too easy to throw my light x and esp.

it really has solved my putter driving obsession since it powers down soooo well. i still drove my wizards a *lot*, but the comet covers a wider range very easily. of course it depends on the lines i want to hit, but anywhere from 0-330 is so wonderful to have covered with one disc if i really want to.

of course it depends on the lines i want to hit, but anywhere from 0-330 is so wonderful to have covered with one disc if i really want to.

Word. The Comet powers down better than any other disc that can be ranged as far as it can (~325' and up). That's one of the reasons I think it is one of the greatest molds ever to have been created.

When did esp comets go into regular production? How do they fly in compared to 3rd run LE's?

Comets are great. I bag 3 of them. :thmbup:

I have 3 identical 168 X Comets that I bought for field work. I haven't gotten to spend much time in the field w/them, but I have done a few rounds w/just those 3 Comets and my putters. Did pretty well too :)

I have 3 identical 168 X Comets that I bought for field work. I haven't gotten to spend much time in the field w/them, but I have done a few rounds w/just those 3 Comets and my putters. Did pretty well too :)

My comet is the one disc that I feel like I dont need to do field work with. It goes straight. I get mine out to about 310, no turn, no fade. I pull it out and it goes exactly where I want it to. Its the only disccraft in my bag.

the comet is still the single best golf disc ever made. just thought I'd come in and remind everyone of that fact!

for some reason over the last few weeks i was testing a few discs to fight against my Comet for its slot and it has really just shown me that the Comet is one of a kind.. like the molds i was testing they are great too but just no Comet.. and hell i have piles of Comets and love them just for some reason felt like testing to stuff but yeah ... Comets ftw :thmbup:

My comet is the one disc that I feel like I dont need to do field work with. It goes straight. I get mine out to about 310, no turn, no fade. I pull it out and it goes exactly where I want it to. Its the only disccraft in my bag.

Doing field work with the Comet was intended to just help me smooth out my throw and focus on everything else. Learn lessons to apply across the board :)

I do a lot of Comet and Wizard rounds.

The Comet can do anything you want it to once you get use to how it flies. :thmbup:

Threw my first 1-disc round with a Comet the other night right after a full-bag round on the same course, and my score was only +2 over what I did with the full bag! The thing that really surprised/impressed me was how much distance I could coax out of these with the crazy glide the Comet has. I had primarily just used the Comets for field/form work, but seeing how it worked on the actual course like this was really impressive!

Came home and told my wife about this and she said "...then why do you need all those other discs?" I tried to say "for those extra 2 strokes" but she wasn't buying it, lol... guess I really didn't think that through very well, huh...? :)