• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

guess i'll just have to buy some more until i find a stable one. :D

honestly, right now i don't need it since my 167 does everything, haha.

interesting you say that, T. one of my x is domed, the heavier one. the lighter one is definitely flat after the shoulder, but i actually like it more right now. i'm sure it'll break in to be similar to my Z, useless for anything except turns.

Mine flies extremely straight if I want it to. I can throw it pretty much exactly my Mako3 but it has a tiny bit of fade yet it seems like it has way more glide.

just wanted to announce that the comet has solidified a spot in my bag and honestly has taken over most of the shots where i'd throw my patriot. at kaposia park i throw it on holes 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16 off the tee. 14 is a 490 foot double dogleg, start off with a high hyzer that turns eeeeever so slightly and moves forward as it moves left the entire way. wound up actually staring straight at the pin because i made it to the turn of the second dogleg. awesome.

hole 15 is similar; 360 foot slight hyzer. wound up about 50 feet from the pin; if i gave it more height and snap i'm sure i could park it. the thing just does *NOT* fade at all. in the middle of the fairway every time.

this disc does everything. not even sure i want a z comet. x is just fine.

good review

You are making me want to try an X comet after my horrible experience with the z

just wanted to announce that the comet has solidified a spot in my bag and honestly has taken over most of the shots where i'd throw my patriot. at kaposia park i throw it on holes 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16 off the tee. 14 is a 490 foot double dogleg, start off with a high hyzer that turns eeeeever so slightly and moves forward as it moves left the entire way. wound up actually staring straight at the pin because i made it to the turn of the second dogleg. awesome.

hole 15 is similar; 360 foot slight hyzer. wound up about 50 feet from the pin; if i gave it more height and snap i'm sure i could park it. the thing just does *NOT* fade at all. in the middle of the fairway every time.

this disc does everything. not even sure i want a z comet. x is just fine.

X Comets are great, but they will beat into turnover discs and then they'll want to stand up at the apex of your hyzer line and even drift a little to the right.

That's why I like premo plastic Comets. Unfortunately, I've become enamored with the third LE ESP run of Comets: they're domey, stable, and will finish left out of the box. It takes a while to season them into turnover discs, which is great, because you have a disc that will turn then add a freshy for the stable shots and you're good.

So I'd recommend looking around for a nice premium plastic Comet with a high shoulder and a little bit of dome, unless you want to cycle X Comets. Don't get me wrong, I love X Comets, but they do season relatively quickly; I'd say within 3 months you might see some serious changes, depending on how often you play and how rough on the discs you are. Just something to keep in mind!

that's a good point; i really don't throw discraft plastic or base plastic in general so it's nice to have info on the break-in.

the heavy z comet i bought is trash so it kinda put me off with how understable and flippy it is. it's got a high shoulder with some dome and then a flat top. i did have an ESP that i gave to a kid on the course a while back; it flew straight with fade.

perhaps a lighter ESP is the way to go. i can get a white one and dye it too. :)

the courses i play are all wooded, and i play at least 1 round a day whenever i can so that sounds like a good investment.

that's a good point; i really don't throw discraft plastic or base plastic in general so it's nice to have info on the break-in.

the heavy z comet i bought is trash so it kinda put me off with how understable and flippy it is. it's got a high shoulder with some dome and then a flat top. i did have an ESP that i gave to a kid on the course a while back; it flew straight with fade.

perhaps a lighter ESP is the way to go. i can get a white one and dye it too. :)

the courses i play are all wooded, and i play at least 1 round a day whenever i can so that sounds like a good investment.

You just want to look for a domey one if you want straight with fade.

i'll keep a lookout for a nice, light and domey ESP that i can bust up against some trees and make it fly like my light x, which is just more straight with a tiiiiiiny bit of turn and no fade whatsoever. then maybe i'll pick up a fresh ESP to back it up.

either way i'm completely happy with my setup now, but i'll keep that in mind as these wear in.

sounds like a plan and thanks for the insight.

3rd Run LE ESP Comets are all high shoulder and domey. I think they are the most overstable of all of the Comets made

This is a completely accurate statement. I actually prefer the flatter and less stable 2nd run LE Comets. Anyone that has a new 2nd run and wants to trade for a new 3rd run please hit me up.

I recently took my 165g Z Comet off the storage rack and used it on a one-disc warm up round. It was one of my first discs and I had such terrible form at the time I thought that the disc was ridiculously flippy... It was all OAT.

This disc is so useful it's ridiculous. I've been too lazy to disc down, but after spending some time working on being smooth, that is going to change.

Post warmup with the Comet I had some just amazing shots. Oh, how it feels to be a noob.

went back to GGGT and picked through their comets extensively. finally found a 174g x-out glow comet with a full-on dome. booya. sucker barely even gets to flat at the top, and can take a LOT on a throw. snagged a 177+ ESP and a light 164-166 ESP just in case i got another fluke Z but happy to report they both can take the heat, going perfectly straight.

hopefully the light one will break into where my light X is right now and hold a sweet spot.

the year of the comet.

49fb0670.jpg

i used to hyzerflip a driver on this hole like my patriot or p-PD (still do sometimes) and hope it wouldn't fade, but now i can just rip the crap out of my Z comet and it glides nicely out straight and slips under the treebranches on that lone oak, gently fading left and forward. usually a tailwind on this hole, right to left, so you can really just bomb it. it's a blast to watch. i could never get my axis or fuse out that far, not by a long shot. fuse was too understable, axis doesn't go as far.

tell me what you guys thing about an OS complement. i picked up a pinnacle ghost today, hoping it would be more like a vector. it's more OS than my axis but not by a lot. it feels very similar in hand to the comet, which is nice.

truth be told, i see myself getting by without too much trouble if i have my "beefy" comets, my light comet and one workable, OS mid. what would you guys recommend to match the comet. i've used the vector in the past and am not opposed to going back, but always looking to pick the brains to see what else there may be.

I'm throwing Comets and KC Rocs together. Other than the texture, they feel the same in the hand, like the Ghost does. I think any non-flat Rocs will pair well with the Comets.

tell me what you guys thing about an OS complement. i picked up a pinnacle ghost today, hoping it would be more like a vector. it's more OS than my axis but not by a lot. it feels very similar in hand to the comet, which is nice.

I carry a 175 DX Rancho Roc and a 170 Z Hornet as moderately overstable and stupidly overstable mids. The Roc is likely back in the bag because of just how overstable the Hornet is - it's mini-Eagle-X'ish. If you peruse this thread, you're going to see a lot of folks compliment Comets with Rocs, particularly KC's or Ranchos.

I also pair Rocs and Comets together. Roc3 for moderately overstable, DX Roc or two for straight to slightly understable and ESP Comet for understable.

I carry a 175 DX Rancho Roc and a 170 Z Hornet as moderately overstable and stupidly overstable mids. The Roc is likely back in the bag because of just how overstable the Hornet is - it's mini-Eagle-X'ish. If you peruse this thread, you're going to see a lot of folks compliment Comets with Rocs, particularly KC's or Ranchos.
Also, my mid setup is as follows:

170 Z Hornet 9/10 - stupidly overstable
175 DX Roc 6/10 - like bud'ah - straight/straight to fade
175 Z Comet 9/10 - straight to finish left
170 X Comet 8-9/10 - straight to right (main Comet)

I may try out a 175 ESP in exchange for the Z Comet and rotate that down into the X Comet slot when that one rotates out. I recently retired my other 170 X Comet.

All last week I played ghost comet side by side rounds to compare the two. It was an awesome time and experience. I think the comet is a straight shooter and a great tool thats useful for form control and also a great disc to have in the bag. I have to say the comet is a sweet disc for sure and it really shows how my form has improved. I like to keep the comet around to keep a guy honest.

So per all the recommendations here on the forum, I have purchased several Comets to really focus on trying to clean up my form. I now have (1) 177+ X Comet bought mid-summer and (3) 172-174 ESP Comets purchased in the last few weeks.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what the expected flight should be in general with these discs when given a flat release? The "0" rating from Discraft along with the straight arrow printed on the discs makes me think they should fly dead straight on a flat release. However, the Discgolfcenter.com rating of 4/4/-2/1 and the inFlight guide flight chart and HST ratings lead me to believe that there will be some turn.

My experience with all of these is that even with my best flat releases the Comets want to turn a bit. When I give them a bit of hyzer on release they will flip up to flat and glide out straight to 250-270ft.

I'm trying to figure out if this turning on flat release is a form problem (I know, post a video...) or if that is indeed the normal flight pattern for Comets and I'm on the right track.

Thanks!