• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

It still takes a while for ESP to break into some straight flying goodness... I picked up 4 or 5 of the new run ESP's and they are pretty stable in an S flight kind of way out of the box. Most of them were domey, the bigger the dome the more S, I only ended up with one of those being a flat top and it feels more like a Z/ESP hybrid it flies the straightest of the lot.

Dude I have a Z Comet that is perfect for me. It is concave and man is it Overstable,well for a Comet. If I need to go left I'm pulling out my Elite Z Comet. :thmbup:

I carry 2 Z Comets and an X. These cover almost all my mid shots. The Z's are my favorites, and the X is my big turnover disc. I've been trying to get all my friends to try them, but they all torque them too hard and send them right into the dirt. Then they tell me it's a bad disc.... They don't even know.

I carry 2 Z Comets and an X. These cover almost all my mid shots. The Z's are my favorites, and the X is my big turnover disc. I've been trying to get all my friends to try them, but they all torque them too hard and send them right into the dirt. Then they tell me it's a bad disc.... They don't even know.

If people would take the time to learn a Comet the only other thing they would need is a true overstable midrange. :D

I've got a buddy who has only been playing for 3 months. All I'm letting him use is an Elite Z Comet and a Eraser Voodoo. Just today I let him throw a River and man was it smooth. He said now I see why you have me throw nothing but Comets. :thmbup:

Ditto except I carry ESP not X, there's just no helping some people I've had extensive conversations with a buddy of mine from Hydro about how he isn't doing himself any favors getting more stable discs, and every month he shows me his new Zone, Pig etc..:wall: I gotta road trip to his island and beat him down with a Comet or just beat him with it.

Ron Russell Comet

I know this isnt exactly the place to post this, but I didnt get much help from the "Whats this disc worth page?" I figured most of the comet experts would be on this page anyway. I am curious as to the value of a 8.5/10 Ron Russell Comet w/rainbow stamp. No ink. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20130926_053539_388.jpg
    IMG_20130926_053539_388.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20130926_053522_819.jpg
    IMG_20130926_053522_819.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 41
yeah thats one of the sig ron russels.. i would think 25ish is about right.. now the elite-z ron russell comets are a different story.. i have seen them well over $60

yeah market for discraft discs is pretty low unless the first three letters are buz or it is pearly

Thoughts for the day: since getting back into throwing, my lack of enthusiasm for Rocs has waned and my trust in the mold has returned. As such, by 175 DX rancho is in the bag. It sits nicely between my 170 Z Hornet (beefy), 175 Z Comet (straight to little/no fade), and two 170 X Comets (straight to right).

But I have been hesitant in rounds to throw Comets, perhaps out of fear of not throwing perfectly and then shanking it. So I disc down and throw my Pure or instead throw my Roc. What's wrong with me? It's like I'm not trusting my throw, and so I don't throw something that I can't guarantee I'll throw perfectly. Anyone else carry a crutch like that, and are there any thoughts to get rid of that mental wall?

Thoughts for the day: since getting back into throwing, my lack of enthusiasm for Rocs has waned and my trust in the mold has returned. As such, by 175 DX rancho is in the bag. It sits nicely between my 170 Z Hornet (beefy), 175 Z Comet (straight to little/no fade), and two 170 X Comets (straight to right).

But I have been hesitant in rounds to throw Comets, perhaps out of fear of not throwing perfectly and then shanking it. So I disc down and throw my Pure or instead throw my Roc. What's wrong with me? It's like I'm not trusting my throw, and so I don't throw something that I can't guarantee I'll throw perfectly. Anyone else carry a crutch like that, and are there any thoughts to get rid of that mental wall?

My thoughts for that is to just play some rounds just with your Comets.

This will get you more familiar with the discs again.

I hit a mental wall like that before and would only throw my Buzzz's and only use my Comets for turnovers. When truthfully you can use a Comet for a variety of shots.

So give this a try and you will soon be reacquainted with an old friend again. :thmbup:

I just picked up 3 comets to try. My 177 definitely can take some heat, and my 167 is magical goes dead straight if I give it a little extra height, can turn it over or put it out on a hyzer. Or partially turn it for easy looooong right to left sweeps. I was amazed at kaposa park today.

However, I've got a few questions. My two x comets are great. I throw the heavy one for harder hyzer lines or straight with fade and the light one does whatever I want. My heavy z comet, however, is a floppy turd. What gives? Checked the plh, and the z is higher than my light x, the same as my heavy x. The dome is higher, but the top is flattish. Similar to light x, which has a slight puddle top. Are there any characteristics that will help me pick a better one next time? I'd like to keep a z for when my heavy x gets broken in. But honestly maybe I'll just cycle through x comets instead and always have one light, one heavy. Or maybe I'll pick up another esp, I gave mine away to a kid at the course. Would a light esp break into fly like a light x? Or does it not quite have the magical glide?

my z comet is the same

I guess I need to go for an x as well

Last edited:
Yeah, it kinda blew me away. I threw my z first because I was scared of the comet form judgment of doom as x is supposed to be more revealing, and it turns out my z does nothing but flip no matter what. Almost didn't throw my x comets because I thought I must have really screwed something up. I did get some turn from the lighter one but as long as I give it more height it won't. It was revealing, but easy to throw and still shaped some lines I couldn't do with any of my other discs. Never really got off the line I wanted.

Last edited:
I have a 177 Z Comet and the thing is awesome. I can shape it into any shot I want. I threw it on an anhyzer one hole and the next hole I threw it with a huge hyzer. Quickly becoming my favorite disc. Only thing I cant get it to do really is fade at the end, it just wants to go straight if I give it a flat release.

Sounds like your z is a good one. Can you describe the shape? Dome, shoulder, etc. My x is great, fades at the end, but I know soon that will be gone. Be nice to have a durable version.

I grabbed some pics for ya. Only have my phone so they arent the best but pretty dang good.

The wing area has a dome up to the where the stamp starts and its completely flat inside the stamp. Mine also "marbling" in the flight plate so Im not sure if that makes a huge difference or not. Mine is also used so its pretty well worn in as you can see.

Attachments

• 20131022_193558.jpg
    20131022_193558.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20131022_193638.jpg
    20131022_193638.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
your comet looks identical to mine. *shrug* guess i have no idea.

Mine looks like the picture as well, but does not exhibit the flight you describe. I guess I got a good one. My 180g Z Comet will take much more heat than my 167g X and the Z will also fight out of a slight turn as it slows and has quite a bit of LS fade. The X just holds the turn forever and lands flat, but I have to be really smooth to throw it well and it is easily overpowered.

Curtis

That looks like a flatty to me. More easily turned and less fade. I like my Comets domey (pretty much the only disc I like to be really domey). They hold a straight line and have a slight fade at the end of their flight and season into straight goodness.