• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Haven't thrown a wraith in a decade or more...does Discraft or DGA make a wraith? Seems like the Surge would be just fine for me, if I just don't stick with the Hurricane.

Yes. A Rogue....as mentioned above

Haven't thrown a wraith in a decade or more...does Discraft or DGA make a wraith? Seems like the Surge would be just fine for me, if I just don't stick with the Hurricane.

You're the DGA guy but I don't think they have an equivalent to a Wraith. I always heard the Surge and Wraith were very similar. I believe they list the same flight numbers.

Wraith and Rogue from Infinite.

SP/PL/DL plastic readily available for the Rogue

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-09-19-20-37-13.jpg
    Capture+_2020-09-19-20-37-13.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Capture+_2020-09-19-20-36-44.jpg
    Capture+_2020-09-19-20-36-44.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Rogue is a Surge SS but a tick more stable, like the Titanic vs Magnet it's slightly taller and I believe slightly wider as well. Definitely not as hard of a fade as a regular Surge.

Vic, the Surge probably is right up your alley but it's a shame they're quite difficult to come across in ESP. A fresh Z will be surprisingly overstable, while the swirly glo (Ledgestone?) limited ESP run a little while back is absurdly so:

My two Swirls are slightly higher PLH than the four Zs I currently own (and all of the ESPs). Slight shoulder to flat top for both...pink/purple scaled 174.5 and blue scaled 176. Blue is slighter higher PLH than the pink/purple. Won't throw them until Friday unfortunately.

Both #1
Both #2

Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look

It's been a while since I've thrown the Hurricane but they do have similar flights. What were you looking for besides distance on your Hurricanes? Bit more turn or fade? Less?

Rogue is a Surge SS but a tick more stable, like the Titanic vs Magnet it's slightly taller and I believe slightly wider as well. Definitely not as hard of a fade as a regular Surge.

Vic, the Surge probably is right up your alley but it's a shame they're quite difficult to come across in ESP. A fresh Z will be surprisingly overstable, while the swirly glo (Ledgestone?) limited ESP run a little while back is absurdly so:

It's been a while since I've thrown the Hurricane but they do have similar flights. What were you looking for besides distance on your Hurricanes? Bit more turn or fade? Less?

I have a Proline Titanic and it is the same diameter as my Jawbreaker, it is the wing/rim that is just hair wider then the Magnet due in part to the spacer. But the mold not due to plastic mine are in I feel but do to design is a tick more OS then Magnet due to the spacer helping with the aerodynamics of making Titanic mold more OS.

Right.

Back to the Surge and Rogue.

I thought the surge was OOP. When i searched i couldnt find any for sale that were new/updated stamp.
Thx for the info that they are still on the order form in Z plastic.

The doss Surges used to be my go-to distance drivers and i found as many as i could before i gave in to the speed 12-13 drivers. Those were great throwers and that esp plastic was great.

I will admit to not throwing my Rogue yet due to an injury but from flight numbers and feel, it sure did remind me of a wraith or surge.
The new dga Proline plastic beats in pretty quick too. So this should be a good distance control drivers for the long wooded holes i have to deal with.

The Z Surge I picked up is useless as a distance driver for me. Flies a lot more like an overstable C-PD, straight into the wind with a hefty fade. I'll be sticking with hurricanes because if I can't grab one off the shelf and have it fly decent, it's just another that I'll be trying to chase online for the flight/plastic I want.

The Z Surge I picked up is useless as a distance driver for me. Flies a lot more like an overstable C-PD, straight into the wind with a hefty fade. I'll be sticking with hurricanes because if I can't grab one off the shelf and have it fly decent, it's just another that I'll be trying to chase online for the flight/plastic I want.

I'd stay stick with your Hurricanes or try a different mold entirely. The SS is hard to find (I tracked some down for my brother) and I doubt the Rogue will be understable enough for you off the shelf. YMMV, possibly buy one Rogue to try?

Are you married to Discraft/DGA?

No, but it helps me keep things simpler and not trying every disc on the market (I've been known to do that in the past far too much)

This is exactly what I do. Stick to just one brand because it makes things so much simpler. The only real reason I picked DC is because its sort of a local manufacturer (Michigan) I don't feel like I need to learn all these different molds and plastics. Gotta keep it as simple as possible cause I ain't real bright.

I just got an old stamped esp Buzzz in a trade (feels weird saying old stamped, but the circle stamp from a few years back...) and I checked the PLH on that disc vs some newer swirly ESP and wow....they're almost different molds! I'm surprised at how much more OS they've become, especially considering the flight numbers still suggest more neutral/understable. Anyone else find this?

I am guessing a Crank is too flippy for you? Are you against trying Vulture a long fairway driver? I am gaining more and more confidence with my Vultures this season.

Checked out a local DG specialty shop today. Almost no Discraft available. Was hoping to score an X-Comet but turns out our local shop back home has had more luck with DC than down here.

Checked out a local DG specialty shop today. Almost no Discraft available. Was hoping to score an X-Comet but turns out our local shop back home has had more luck with DC than down here.

Yeah local shops have been super dry for me too. Infinite and hyzer farm have gotten me through these times the most lately.

How does JB plastic break in? Does it warp easily or is a little tougher?

In my experience it wears fairly well, I have been using the same JB Banger GT as my main driving/approach putter for three years. It started with a decent fade and now is dead straight at 80% power. I would say it's more durable than Pro D and X, but not quite as tough as ESP.

Zone

I figured out today that I really love the Z Zone. McBeth 5X. First off, the disc is beautiful, and the plastic looks very rugged/durable.

More importantly, the Zone is like the Swiss army knife of discs. It can be used for a multitude of purposes. I found it most useful for tee shots on short holes. Before, I would try to throw mids at like 60% power or a putter at 100%. That led to inconsistency. I would tend to underthrow the mids, and overthrow the putter. The Zone solved this problem. I throw the Zone at 100% power and it does the same thing every time. Horrible glide (perfect), no turn (also perfect), and it lands softly and stops. No skipping or bad rolls.

Today was the first time I'd ever thrown a Zone, and it immediately passed the initial tryout and became a member of my bag. Very consistent mid/putter that can be smashed hard and not even show a hint of high speed turn. It glides poorly, so it won't float off on you. Very consistent overstability. All I was doing was hammering the Zone right of the hole and it would fade reliably back every time.

The Zone works poorly for putting. I don't recommend using it for that. The disc is too overstable and glideless for putting, and everything I tried kept coming up short.

Great disc. In the hand it feels like a putter, but it throws like a mid. I will bag the Zone for the foreseeable future.

I figured out today that I really love the Z Zone. McBeth 5X. First off, the disc is beautiful, and the plastic looks very rugged/durable.

More importantly, the Zone is like the Swiss army knife of discs. It can be used for a multitude of purposes. I found it most useful for tee shots on short holes. Before, I would try to throw mids at like 60% power or a putter at 100%. That led to inconsistency. I would tend to underthrow the mids, and overthrow the putter. The Zone solved this problem. I throw the Zone at 100% power and it does the same thing every time. Horrible glide (perfect), no turn (also perfect), and it lands softly and stops. No skipping or bad rolls.

Today was the first time I'd ever thrown a Zone, and it immediately passed the initial tryout and became a member of my bag. Very consistent mid/putter that can be smashed hard and not even show a hint of high speed turn. It glides poorly, so it won't float off on you. Very consistent overstability. All I was doing was hammering the Zone right of the hole and it would fade reliably back every time.

The Zone works poorly for putting. I don't recommend using it for that. The disc is too overstable and glideless for putting, and everything I tried kept coming up short.

Great disc. In the hand it feels like a putter, but it throws like a mid. I will bag the Zone for the foreseeable future.
I like the zone for putting in high winds situations only. Also the zone is the best forehand approach disc on the market.