• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

c8fbd5b126402f23239aabc1c2a916d2.jpg

23163dcaa254214491a5e535bb8c7afa.jpg

Again, Ramcat just off not2b. Very "ornate", very large and very old. Note how smooth the plastron and carapace are. Pretty cool old guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacocks at Cliff Stephens on the railroad tracks along hole 18

An animal you just don't see every day right there. So pretty.

I had one fly across the hood of my car once while driving. I was doing about 45, and let me just tell you: when a peacock is in your windshield like that, you don't see anything but peacock. Almost wrecked my car...Thankfully, both human and bird survived unscathed.

Not me this time, but a friend of mine at one of our local courses, saw a rat snake climbing a pine tree:

Snake (1).jpg

The second photo's a little dark, but the snake's much higher:

Snake (2).jpg

Which makes me think that if it gets 60' high, its fingers lose their grip, and it falls onto my shoulders, I may need a time out.

Not me this time, but a friend of mine at one of our local courses, saw a rat snake climbing a pine tree:

View attachment 74545

View attachment 74546

Which makes me think that if it gets 60' high, its fingers lose their grip, and it falls onto my shoulders, I may need a time out.

That's gotta add dimension to the two meter rule.

Need

View attachment 74545

View attachment 74546

Great. That's just what I need. Something to make me nervous wearing a hat with a wide brim on solo rounds and something to keep my wussy friends from wanted to play wooded courses.

WotW

I wish I knew how to add a video without having to copy it from YouTube, etc. I took a couple videos and the sound is crazy loud. The sound reminds me of the USS Enterprise phasers from the original Star Trek.

If you recall the original pre-Cruise "War of the Worlds" movie, that is what the aliens and alien ships sounded like.:eek:

View attachment 74545

View attachment 74546

Pretty amazing that it can climb a vertical surface.

I imagine it requires extremely rough bark for it's ventral scales to get the required grip to ascend it that manner.

I've seen some videos of rat snakes climbing amazing places. We have plenty of them at Stoney Hill, but I haven't seen any of those tricks from them; just over head-high in a small tree's the highest I've noticed them.

I've seen some videos of rat snakes climbing amazing places. We have plenty of them at Stoney Hill, but I haven't seen any of those tricks from them; just over head-high in a small tree's the highest I've noticed them.

At the risk of creeping you out... mebbe yer just not looking high enough.

Heheheh, yup. Years ago I saw a copperhead 35-40' up in an oak tree raiding a robin nest. And yup definitely copperhead. With small dogs I can't tolerate venomous serpents around the house. I've re-homed many alive, but this one wasn't a good candidate given his location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's one more thing to be creeped out by?

Last year, a rat snake struck at me. It was a bluff strike, the result of my walking by tall grass while looking elsewhere. I noticed it mid-strike, and until my heart slowed down I thought I might be the last line in the coroner's year-end report ("Death by rat snake.......1").

So I guess I'll watch where I step, and just hope any snakes in the tree-tops have a good grip and don't come tumbling down.

Heheheh, yup. Years ago I saw a copperhead 35-40' up in an oak tree raiding a robin nest. And yup definitely copperhead. With small dogs I can't tolerate venomous serpents around the house. I've re-homed many alive, but this one wasn't a good candidate given his location.

Curiously, in 17 years at Stoney Hill we've seen about a dozen species of snakes....none venomous. I'm crediting the king snakes (though still watching my step).

On the other hand, a year or two ago black windows took up residence in the map & donation box.