• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Funny how every snake in the water is a Moccassin. It (Water Snakes) is the most wrongfully persecuted snake in the world. QUOTE]

Wrongfully persecuted???? I don't know if I would go that far. I do agree other snakes are in the water, but the fact is, there are alot of snakes that are killed just because folks are scared chitless when they see a snake, when the truth is, most snakes are more afraid of us, then we are of them. Let's take the Rattle Snake we came across that started this thread, my buddy was close enough to become a snakebite victim when he came up upon this snake, but the thing coiled up and rattled to warn him to retreat, which he promptly did, and as the Game Warden, who happened up at about the same time said, "The snake was here first" meaning, we put in a recreational game in his home. So if you leave them alone, most won't bother you I have found. Even this one, eventually calmed down and went on his way.

Funny how every snake in the water is a Moccassin. It (Water Snakes) is the most wrongfully persecuted snake in the world.

Years ago we had a Yellowbelly Water Snake that had lived on Z-B #18 for many years. Of course one day some kids killed it. :(

We had a copperhead took up residence in the creek next to #13 basket at Stoney Hill. Which is RIGHT next to the basket. Before a tournament, my brother staked it out and shot it.

Of course, when we pulled it out of the creek and got a good look, it wasn't a copperhead at all, but a northern water snake. Very similar pattern, especially seen in the water, and even a fairly broad head.

We live there (private course) and have seen plenty of snakes, including water snakes, but no confirmed sightings of poisonous snakes. Of course, visitors frequently see moccasins.

I got attacked by a turkey yesterday. It was jumping at me and trying to grab me. I screamed at it and that didnt do anything. So I just ran. It was a heavily wooded course. So I just ran through the remaining 4 holes. Everytime I slowed down to look back, it was still running after me. I talked to the park ranger at the gate and he said its still mating season. So it was either trying to bang me or definately not into threesomes

Funny how every snake in the water is a Moccassin. It (Water Snakes) is the most wrongfully persecuted snake in the world.

Years ago we had a Yellowbelly Water Snake that had lived on Z-B #18 for many years. Of course one day some kids killed it. :(

I know what a Moccassin looks like, and I was not mistaken. I didn't even go near it either. I stayed 12ft away, and thats the way I like it.

I got attacked by a turkey yesterday. It was jumping at me and trying to grab me. I screamed at it and that didnt do anything. So I just ran. It was a heavily wooded course. So I just ran through the remaining 4 holes. Everytime I slowed down to look back, it was still running after me. I talked to the park ranger at the gate and he said its still mating season. So it was either trying to bang me or definately not into threesomes

That is really surprising, because turkeys are usually scared of people.

That is one of those things that should be on video so you can win funniest home video contest...You lost your opportunity

Reading this thread makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, esp that picture from the first post. Creepy crawlies just make me ugh...So lucky we don't have huge ass bugs and venomous snakes. Just squirrels and ducks. Maybe the occasional deer, raccoon or opossum.

That's why I always carry several of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMALbjYnNNQ

*Warning: video may or may not contain images of turkey decapitation*

ran into someone feeding ducks at the local park on Hole 3 (talk about a slow start)

anyway, momma duck starts to waddle after us hissing all the way...turn around to see we'd come within about 5 feet of a bunch of ducklings.

If a turkey attacked me I'd probably fight back. I'm bigger and stronger than a turkey.

On the other hand, I do my best to give snakes their personal space. :)

Saw some hawks attacking magpies over a local city course several times. The hawks will catch them and drop then from several hundred feet and they crash into the ground. Pretty amazing to see in person as I have a disliking for the magpies.

On hole #1 of the T-2 course at Turkey Lake, I was almost killed by a Gopher Tortise...
Okay, no I wasn't...but when I put my putter slightly on his shell he was quite upset, hissed at me, and moved fast enough to get his head out of the picture...

It was fun to see "wildlife" on the course that isn't life threatening, though.

Attachments

• GopherTortiseAtTurkeyLake.JPG
    GopherTortiseAtTurkeyLake.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 82
Nice, since there was no basket the buzzard is the target, so it's a buzzard ace.

It would be interesting to see what people would say if this happened during a tourney.