• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but how can you not cycle at all? At least a little bit? You throw a disc, it changes flight, you put in a new one. Why would you get rid of a perfectly good disc that you know the flight of really well? It naturally happens...

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but how can you not cycle at all? At least a little bit? You throw a disc, it changes flight, you put in a new one. Why would you get rid of a perfectly good disc that you know the flight of really well? It naturally happens...
You would think that. Or at least I would think that. I remember back in the day I beat up a Cyclone and it got flippy on me. I got a new Cyclone and kept the beat Cyclone as a backup. It struck me that if I stopped putting a bunch of hyzer on it, the disc was landing where my Stingray would go. If I had this flippy Cyclone and a new Cyclone that were already in my bag, why did I need to buy Stingrays?

The flip side argument we are getting is that there is no advantage that we can prove from using that beat Cyclone for turnovers VS using a Stingray. I think there is, but I can't prove it. So there you go.

As I've said before, I prefer premium plastic discs that don't wear in for a very long time, if ever (Champion, Star, Lucid/Opto); compared to plastics that wear in fairly quickly, such as most baseline plastics (DX, Prime, etc.). So my discs don't change their flights for a long, long time.

As an example, I still have the same Champion Panther that I put in my bag over three years ago, a disc I have thrown into trees, into the ground on spike hyzers and rollers, and used regularly at least five times a week... and it has not changed its flight pattern at all. By the time it does, I'll probably be too old and physically unable to throw discs anymore.

Of discs that have changed on me, most were already understable and have become too flippy to be of use. I have given away more discs than I have sold, mostly to young people to get them interested in DG. Others, I can still use for practice on the range.

I don't care what you do SD. But don't act like your opinion is as valid as that of someone who has put in years trying both approaches.

What works for one, etc. But please try to base your opinions on experience. You aren't helping anybody.

A lot of it has to do with your disc selection in the first place, though. If you throw mostly stable to understable stuff, there isn't a ton of room to go on the cycle. I mean, what exactly would you use a beat Panther for anyway? You would use a Panther in place of a beat flippy Roc in the first place.

Last edited:
As I've said before, I prefer premium plastic discs that don't wear in for a very long time, if ever (Champion, Star, Lucid/Opto); compared to plastics that wear in fairly quickly, such as most baseline plastics (DX, Prime, etc.). So my discs don't change their flights for a long, long time.

As an example, I still have the same Champion Panther that I put in my bag over three years ago, a disc I have thrown into trees, into the ground on spike hyzers and rollers, and used regularly at least five times a week... and it has not changed its flight pattern at all. By the time it does, I'll probably be too old and physically unable to throw discs anymore.

Of discs that have changed on me, most were already understable and have become too flippy to be of use. I have given away more discs than I have sold, mostly to young people to get them interested in DG. Others, I can still use for practice on the range.

:thonk: But premiums still break... that's why Paul can roll destroyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it has to do with your disc selection in the first place, though. If you throw mostly stable to understable stuff, there isn't a ton of room to go on the cycle. I mean, what exactly would you use a beat Panther for anyway? You would use a Panther in place of a beat flippy Roc in the first place.

My Pink Panthers are relatively flat and have a higher PLH, so they're stable-to-slightly overstable. I have a couple of blue Panthers that are domier and more understable, but I go with the Mako3 when I really need to bag an understable mid.

Agree that in not cycling, I'm using some less stable molds. Also, my Banshee is Champion plastic, and will likely stay overstable for what remains of my DG playing years. But who knows? my Hornet hits a lot of trees in the woods...

My Pink Panthers are relatively flat and have a higher PLH, so they're stable-to-slightly overstable. I have a couple of blue Panthers that are domier and more understable, but I go with the Mako3 when I really need to bag an understable mid.

Agree that in not cycling, I'm using some less stable molds. Also, my Banshee is Champion plastic, and will likely stay overstable for what remains of my DG playing years. But who knows? My Hornet hits a lot of trees in the woods...

Ok so you also have some OAT good to know. Makos are straight BTW.

So the most important things from this thread:

Gateway Prophecy is the answer to Grippen's OG question and nobody should ever take SD86 seriously about anything he posts. :thmbup:

Valuable lessons had by all.

Straight to understable. Put some juice on 'em, and they'll turn over. McBeth uses Mako3s for turnover shots.

Dude you're just making the state of GA. As a Georgian I look bad. Paul is pumping them 350 so yeah they'll turn. But he typically hyzerflips them. He uses a mcpro roc3 for turnovers. They won't show any turn up to 325.

So the most important things from this thread:

Gateway Prophecy is the answer to Grippen's OG question and nobody should ever take SD86 seriously about anything he posts. :thmbup:

Valuable lessons had by all.

Hells yeah I got mine today baby and they're so so super sweet. I out a pic on the prophecy thread and my initial thoughts as well. You're going to be happy when you get yours.

The Prophecy is nice. I mean, I have like 30 Rocs to go before I run out. But if I run through those 30 (and haven't picked up like 30 more by then) the Prophecy would be a nice option.

*is never actually going to bag a Prophecy*